Political Buzz

Talking WA politics.

NOTICE: Political Buzz has moved.

With the launch of our new website, we've moved Political Buzz.
Visit the new section.

Tim Eyman initiative calls on Legislature to set tolls and fares

Post by Jordan Schrader / The News Tribune on May 2, 2011 at 10:57 am with 13 Comments »
May 2, 2011 11:24 am

Voters agreed with Tim Eyman last November that the Legislature should set fees. But in recent weeks lawmakers delegated the power to set tolls and ferry fares back to the Transportation Commission by approving the transportation budget and SB 5700 on bipartisan votes.

Now Eyman wants voters to repeat their message. He announced Sunday he is kicking off signature gathering for a new statewide initiative, I-1125.

There’s a legal problem, though. Even if Eyman collects the 241,153 valid signatures needed by July 8 to put it on the ballot and voters approve it, lawmakers can re-delegate their power once again just as they did this year.

That’s because no law can keep a future Legislature from exercising its basic authority, including delegating its own powers. A December informal opinion from Attorney General Rob McKenna‘s office says so (Below, see page 7):

… The people ‘cannot, by initiative, prevent future legislatures from exercising their law-making power.’ (quoting the Supreme Court). The legislature’s plenary authority includes the discretion to delegate fee-setting authority to administrative agencies.

Eyman told me today what he has before about this: He believes the fee restrictions are legally binding, but even if they’re not, they are “politically binding.” Another, clearer statement by voters would make them that much harder to ignore.

“If the Legislature wanted to just ignore the law and do whatever they wanted,” Eyman said, “then they could go ahead and take that to court if they wanted to.”

One other thing of interest to Tacoma Narrows bridge commuters: I-1125 also”requires that tolls on a project be spent on that project and not be diverted and spent on other things,” according to Eyman.

AG informal opinion 12-20-10

1. comonsens41 says:

Crawl back in you hole Timmy. You have already destroyed this state.

2. tree_guy says:

Good luck, Tim. I’ll sign and lot of other Tacomans will as well.

3. I’m sure bondholders will like to hear that they’ll depend on elections to get paid back.

Sometimes I wonder if Eyman even bothers to think about the consequences of his initiatives.

4. tree_guy says:

The bondholders are going to get paid back regardless of who sets the tolls.

Sometimes I wonder if people posting here even bother to think about the consequences of their postings.

5. I don’t know how I so badly misread that, but nevermind.

6. hortonpeak says:

Bondholders (the big guys – not the little guys), bankers, etc. always get paid. One way or the other. Perhaps the rest of us, regardless, of political leanings should realize that. I might add, Eyman, much like bondholders, bankers, etc. also always gets paid. Damn, I guess divide and conquer is a good strategy.

7. tree_guy says:

Tim Eyman can do something that almost no one else can do.

He can take an idea, package it in an appealing initiative that many people will respond to, quickly get the number of signatures needed, and get the initiative on the ballot. Most of the time his initiatives are approved by the voters.

You may not like the results but Tim is to initiatives what Alex Rodriquez is to baseball. Anyone who is the best should enjoy the fruits of his labor. If you were the best at something you’d expect to make money too. Pretty sure Chris Gregoire gets a healthy monthly paycheck and she hasn’t done anything beneficial for the citizens.

8. hortonpeak says:

A-Rod chokes in the big games – check the stats. An overpaid media creation. Much like Tim. The difference is that A-Rod’s BS does not impact people. Eyman’s does.

9. taxedenoughintacoma says:

God bless Tim Eyman. He is an award winning patriot.

Tim, is the only person that has saved you tax dollars and single handed keeps liberal dems in check. The guys a hero and does more to help us than any elected offical.

Tim, I want to help because I’m taxedenoughintacoma

10. steilacoomtaxpayer says:

Knowing upfront about the Supreme Court’s position and the AG’s advice, this Initiative is simply a waste. The Legislature fully well knows what we the people want. What we don’t want is paralysis by analysis and frittering of Legislative time over $0.25 per trip ferry fares.

11. “Another, clearer statement by voters would make them that much harder to ignore.”

Translation-another initiative I run will keep me in the news and make me more money.

12. Candy Wavra says:

Tim, congrads for all you have done for this state. We need more people like you who can fight for the citizens of the Evergreen state. Please get those necessary forms over to Kitsap County, so we too can sign away.

Glad to hear Rob McKenna is leading in the polls, he will definitely get my vote and it will be nice to say GOODBY to the present governor.

13. Benjamin says:

No more obstructionist initiatives!