Political Buzz

Talking WA politics.

NOTICE: Political Buzz has moved.

With the launch of our new website, we've moved Political Buzz.
Visit the new section.

Take that, willow goldfinch

Post by Jordan Schrader / The News Tribune on Feb. 3, 2011 at 9:52 am with 32 Comments »
February 3, 2011 9:52 am

The little songbird has been Washington’s official state bird since 1951, but a bill by Rep. Ross Hunter that has bipartisan support would strip that title from the willow goldfinch and give it to the great blue heron:

AN ACT Relating to naming the state bird; and amending RCW 1.20.040.
BE IT ENACTED BY THE LEGISLATURE OF THE STATE OF WASHINGTON: Sec. 1. RCW 1.20.040 and 1951 c 249 s 1 are each amended to read as follows:
The ((willow goldfinch)) great blue heron is hereby designated as the official bird of the state of Washington.

A push is also on in Olympia to make coffee the state beverage.

1. Copper2Steel says:

It’s unfortunate that they’re wasting time with this!

2. lancer70 says:

Doesn’t the State Legislature have anything better to do with its time? How about spending more time on the states huge budget deficit!

3. BlaineCGarver says:

I guess the budget is just for the birds, too…..

4. TheOutlawJoseyWhales says:

We actually pay these people? What on earth do our lawmakers think their job is? It’s like living inside someone’s really bad sci fi movie. Washington State is facing the worst economic time of it’s history and these guys are legislating birds and beverages…I can’t find the words… The only words I can think of are not allowed here.

5. banksyfan says:

I would not like it if they changed it. Why screw up a good thing?

6. nonstopjoe says:

It’s a momentous decision – put it on the ballot so voters can decide.

7. tomwa007 says:

Oh please, if Mr. Hunter were my Representative, I would be on the phone to him immediately to stop this nonsense.

8. What a waste!!!

9. How is the state bird not a Seahawk? Just sayin’.

10. newswatch says:

They can’t propose bills that cost money so they come up with all these silly things like state bird, state drink, state whatever.

11. mattersnot1 says:

Why change? The Bill doesn’t say.
    Will it improve our economy?
    Sounds more like some legislators just want their name on a Bill. Gheeeeeeeez, what’s next?

12. Husky1B says:

What a colossal waste of time and money!

13. The great blue heron is big, pretty and a great fisherman.
    In the future we should be small and yellow. For protection.

14. Clarktribnet says:

Rep. Ross Hunter… Remember this when you get fired (voted out) for wasting time. Take it as a learning lesson to your next job.

15. dbreneman says:

State bird, state coffee, state bloated sea lion washed up on the beach. What in the world has gotten into these people? Are all the state’s real problems solved, and I just missed the news that day?

16. TheMASO says:

What a bunch of BS…instead of throwing out the goldfinch these politicians should be working on issues to throw out the illegal aliens!!!

17. Soundlife says:

We need to remember how they spend their time and our money during the next election. State Bird, State Coffee, funding health care for illegal immigrants while cutting education funding for our children

18. jetalmanac says:

The state bird is the one that the lawmakers are giving to us. Lord help us that they even think this is a relevant issue.

19. lovethemountains says:

Surprised the legislature is considering beverages and birds? I’m not. They are so far out of touch with reality it’s almost comical. Maybe the lobby crowd has increased the distribution of free liquor. But folks, just remember there will be another election.

20. fbergford says:

I like Derek’ suggetion! I want the Seahawk!!! KAAA – KAAAWWW

21. We need a tax increase to study this more. SOB.

22. gtaylor says:

People need to start capitalizing proper nouns. And what is wrong with the beautiful American Goldfinch?!?! I love Herons too, but they get enough attention.

23. There used to be a time when citizens would drive this type of legislation. Has nothing to do with the business of government but I wonder how the Audobon Society feels…

24. What a waste of tax payers money…Leave the Goldfinch alone and do wome real work….!

25. mattersnot1 says:

How many Blue Herons are there in Eastern Washington?

26. deniseaksamit says:

I guess none of these people have smelled a great Blue Heron nesting site? Its one of the stinkiest places on earth, or at least in Washington State. I’d much rather keep it the Gold Finch, they have way less poop and are cute birds, not ugly prehistoric things.

27. nonstopjoe says:

What kind of bird is it when you “flip the bird?”

28. RWed261657 says:

I happen to enjoy the fact that we have state symbols. I am proud of being the evergreen state and I think the willow goldfinch should by all means remain our state bird. They are beautiful and so is Washington State.

29. Keep Willow Goldfinch please. Herons are nasty fisheaters.

30. I suggest the American Coot. And I’m not referring to the water dwelling duck like bird but a foolish old man, enough said.

31. BariBugle says:

Makes sense. The Goldfinch is a small insignificant gentle little bird made stronger and more secure by it’s community, flying by the hundreds in grace and harmony, as if with one mind. This is a state with which our Legislature is wholly unfamiliar.

32. I would not have a problem with these bills if it was without cost or has financial return. In fact, it costs thousands to run a bill though the legislature, even when uncontested.