Political Buzz

Talking WA politics.

NOTICE: Political Buzz has moved.

With the launch of our new website, we've moved Political Buzz.
Visit the new section.

Pierce County ballots go in the mail Friday; auditor expects about a 57 percent turnout

Post by Kris Sherman / The News Tribune on Oct. 14, 2010 at 2:27 pm with 2 Comments »
October 14, 2010 4:57 pm

Pierce County will put 323,377  Nov. 2 General Election ballots in the mail Friday.

Most will arrive in voters’ mailboxes on Saturday.

They must be postmarked by midnight Nov. 2 or deposited at a Pierce County Elections drop-off box or polling place by the end of election day to be counted.

You must follow directions, too.

Whether you mail your ballot or drop it off at a booth or a box, you must seal it in the secrecy envelope and then put it in a signed exterior envelope with a signed oath.

“We can’t count votes that are not enclosed in our envelope with the OATH signed,” Pierce County Auditor Julie Anderson wrote in an e-mail to me this afternoon.

Not every voter will sit at the kitchen table, in a coffee shop or at another favorite spot to mark his or her ballot.

There remain 72,779 registered poll voters  in the county,  Anderson said.

Pierce County is the only one in the state that still has walk-in polls open on Election Day.

Pierce County officials are predicting a 57 percent turnout for this midterm election, Anderson said. They expect to get back just over 50 percent of the vote-by-mail ballotst, and they predict about 7 percent of the total vote will be cast at the polls.

Voters’ pamphlets, with information about the election, began arriving in mail boxes on Wednesday.

For more information about the election, you can go to the Pierce County Elections website here.

For a list of ballot drop-off sites, click here.

And for a list of polling places, click here.

Leave a comment Comments → 2
  1. Vote early and vote often.

  2. blakein98402 says:

    I’m guessing that they expect about 50% of ballots to be absentees, and the remaining 7% poll voters. That means that absentee turnout will be well above 50%. After all, poll voters are at least 15% of our county population, and if they’re casting 7% of ballots, their turnout will be <50%. For overall turnout of 57%, absentee returns should be expected to approach 60%.

We welcome comments. Please keep them civil, short and to the point. ALL CAPS, spam, obscene, profane, abusive and off topic comments will be deleted. Repeat offenders will be blocked. Thanks for taking part and abiding by these simple rules.

Follow the comments on this post with RSS 2.0