Political Buzz

Talking WA politics.

NOTICE: Political Buzz has moved.

With the launch of our new website, we've moved Political Buzz.
Visit the new section.

Democrats glad to save GOP House candidate Hans Zeiger’s writings from going out of print

Post by Jordan Schrader / The News Tribune on Sep. 2, 2010 at 4:29 pm with 29 Comments »
September 3, 2010 5:59 pm

Hans Zeiger
Democrats can’t help but be worried about the political future of Rep. Dawn Morrell, who despite her four terms in the Legislature garnered just a hair over 40 percent of the primary vote. Even if you assume she’ll pick up the votes of everyone who chose a Democrat in the 25th District House primary, that still leaves her far short of the majority she’ll need to defeat political newcomer and Republican Hans Zeiger.

Democrats have ground to make up, so no doubt they have been looking for an opening to target Zeiger. Now he’s given them one.

Zeiger, the author of two books and many columns, essays and blog posts about politics and local history, recently had his writings taken down from a number of websites, including Intellectual Conservative.

Morrell’s campaign and the House Democratic Campaign Committee noticed the missing articles Saturday, the HDCC said. The group opened its general-election season campaign with a news release questioning why the articles, more than 50 by their count, were disappearing. The HDCC said Zeiger was taking them down to hide his “extremist” views. Field Director Alex Hur said: “Voters deserve to know what a candidate’s values really are.”

Zeiger told me those articles don’t all represent his values anymore, so he had them removed. They would be a “distraction” from the campaign, he said.

Articles coming down aren’t from very long ago, mainly 2003 and 2004. But Zeiger is just 25, and he was in college at the time. He said he’s “grown up since age 18 and 19 when the really provocative stuff was going up.”

Democrats also point to more recent pieces that are still up, but mostly they highlighted the columns that have been pulled, many still archived by Google.  One criticizes the Girl Scouts for welcoming lesbians and consorting with Planned Parenthood:

One might wonder why the Girl Scouts have been spared the painful attacks that have been launched upon the Boy Scouts by the Left in recent years. The reasons are simple: the Girl Scouts allow homosexuals and atheists to join their ranks, and they have become a pro-abortion, feminist training corps. … If the Girl Scouts of America can’t get back to teaching real character, perhaps it will be time to look for our cookies elsewhere.”

Zeiger told me he still believes the Girl Scouts have strayed from their roots, but notes that isn’t likely to come up if he becomes a legislator. More relevant to state government might be a critical description of public schools that he now repudiates:

I spent most of my K-12 education at my local government indoctrination center. I was also home schooled during the seventh and eighth grades. The corridors and classrooms of the modern public school are so polluted with the filth of moral relativism that the typical public high school graduate moves into the world devoid of character, conscience or courage.

“Growing up on talk radio, that informed some of my early views,” Zeiger told me.

Since then, he’s come to realize he had “a wonderful experience” in Puyallup public schools. He says he’s probably even to the left of many Republicans on education, calling for full state funding of public schools and supporting a property tax levy voters approved last February for Puyallup School District.

These days, Zeiger is more interested in writing about Puyallup history, as he does on his blog. He makes his living working part-time as a fellow at the conservative American Civil Rights Union.

Here’s the Democrats’ full release:

What is Hans Hiding?

More than 50 Far-Right Blog Posts Suddenly Pulled from Website Zeiger has listed as his “job”;

Out-of-Mainstream views clearly a problem for 25 year old ideologue

PUYALLUP– More than 50 far right blog posts by State House candidate Hans Zeiger were removed over the weekend from the IntellectualConservative.com website, an ideological blog Zeiger had listed as a job.  The now absent posts contained Zeiger’s controversial positions on many issues, including highly divisive opinions on public education, women’s rights, and religion.

Zeiger is running against critical care nurse Dawn Morrell, a mother and grandmother whose children are graduates of local public schools.

Alex Hur of the House Democratic Campaign Committee (HDCC) said that he and members of Morrell’s campaign team noticed the missing posts Saturday.  “I have to wonder what Zeiger is afraid of people reading,” said Hur.  “Why are these articles disappearing now, when more voters than ever are in favor of open government and transparency in their candidates and elected officials?  Voters deserve to know what a candidate’s values really are.”

Hur continued, “If Zeiger truly believes what he wrote, like, ‘I spent most of my K-12 education at my local government indoctrination center… the typical public high school graduate moves into the world devoid of character, conscience, or courage’ and ‘the PTA is now more decadent than ever’ then he should live with his words instead of hiding his out of touch opinions from voters.”

(Quotes from Failing Public Schools; Intellectual Conservative, February 9th, 2004 and Save Oregon from Ginny Markell!; WorldNetDaily, November 13, 2004)

Zeiger is the author of a plethora of blog postings and two books, Reagan’s Children: Taking Back the City on the Hill and Get Off My Honor: The Assault on the Boy Scouts of America.  In his various writings, he expounds on a variety of issues, including his deep appreciation for the Boy Scouts, and his obvious distaste for Girl Scouts, stating “If the Girl Scouts of America can’t get back to teaching real character, perhaps it will be time to look for our cookies elsewhere. (Source:  Pro-Abortion Feminist Scouts; Intellectual Conservative, February 16, 2004)

Hur isn’t surprised Zeiger, who moved back to Puyallup a year ago, has focused mostly on federal policy issues instead of local concerns in his prolific writings.

“He’s a guy who hasn’t had to deal with the real life concerns of local families,” said Hur.  “It’s okay to be an academic, but there is nothing academic about struggling to make ends meet when a job is lost, fighting an insurance company to get needed coverage, or standing up for vets when the federal government is slow to respond.  Dawn Morrell will remain true to her record of service for the people of Pierce County.”

ATTACHED:  Highlights of Zeiger’s posts and partial record of the writings now deleted from the website.

1. meamNovelistTwo says:

Wow. I bet he would have gotten more of a reaction to his speech he gave at the Puyallup High School graduation ceremony a few months ago had he quoted himself instead of delivering his snoozer of a speech . I can hear it in my mind: And so class of 2010, I send you off into the world today devoid of character, conscience or courage after 4 years of indoctrination at Puyallup High School, a fetid place polluted with the filth of moral relativism.

2. comment_tayter says:

Yes indeed… the “filth of moral relativism” on display all right: I guess it’s a ‘relatively’ bad idea to have one’s extreme (yet honest) opinions aired when one is trying to become an elected politician — an occupation where it is unheard of to check one’s principals at the door, right?

Hypocrite.

I am always suspicious of politician’s motives, and even more so when they wrap themselves in self-righteous and holier-than-thou pronouncements. Even at age 19.

If this young man’s views have come so far in the few years since his public epiphanies and pronouncement as a teenager, and that they need to be pulled from public view in the run-up to the election, maybe he — and the voters — ought to consider letting himself season into a fuller maturity. Like in about twenty years.

3. Perspicacious1 says:

Young Mr. Zeiger is growing as he ages – is there anyone out there who questions the wisdom of growing into new ideas, new lessons, learning tolerance instead of criticism? Anyone who feels that they never change a view from learning as they live life, needs to take a good look at themselves. Hans Zeiger has been involved all of his life – he is knowledgeable, articulate, active and involving himself in our government process……I wish we had more people who cared as deeply as he does! Do I agree with him 100% of the time, nope. But I respect anyone who gets out there, presents himself and his campaign in a positive manner and wants to make a difference. Apathy and negativity just might be the downfall of this great country. Is Hans too young? Not at all – maybe what’s wrong in this state is because many are too old and have been in Olympia too long. It’s time for young new ideas and solutions.

4. colsprague says:

I can accept that he was young and naive when he wrote this garbage. But it wasn’t that long ago. I say he needs a little more life experience and voters need to know he’s really changed his thoughts. On the other hand, everytime some creep attacks kids, I have to support them more — so I guess that’s another carton of Thin Mints for me next time the Girl Scouts are selling. (I had no idea those cute little girls were lesbian abortionists!)

5. muckibr says:

Apparently Hans feels he has something that needs to be hidden in those writings of his. That doesn’t really make me feel like I can trust him. But, “You can trust a nurse!” So, I guess I’ll vote for Dawn this time.

6. CalebHeimlich says:

I have known Hans Zeiger since he was sixteen years old. And while people may paint him out to be a bad guy, and attack dogs may pull from things he wrote 6 or 7 years ago when he was immature and brash that is not the Hans I know. The Hans I know listens to people and cares about making State Government serve them. The Democrats want to distract from the real issues at hand, which is how they have failed our state with massive deficits and skyrocketing unemployment, by attacking Hans with a series of side issues. What matters to me as a voter is who will be more responsible with my hard earned tax dollars? And the answer to anyone who pays attention is Zeiger. Who will do more to promote private sector job growth and get our citizenry back to work? the Status quo or Hans Zeiger. And who wants to improve our schools by continuing in his family tradition of giving back to his community? Easy answer. If you are happy with how our state is going, then by all means listen to the Democratic attack machine. But if you want a community first approach then Hans Zeiger is the right man for the job.

7. S_Emerson says:

TNT – why did you delete my comment? It did not meet the criteria for flagging.

Perhaps if I rephrase it, and use more words…?

Hans Zeiger, and people like him, concern me due to their narrow-mindedness and willingness, no, their need, to judge anyone who doesn’t subscribe to their ideologies. People like Hans do not represent me or my beliefs, desires or hopes, therefore he cannot fairly represent me in state matters.

Oh, and by the way, I was a Brownie and a Girl Scout, and I turned out just dandy (and apparently more accepting of people of all cultures, religion, sexual orientation, etc. – unlike Hans).

8. How very typical of a right-wing GOP’er.
    I said it THEN, but I really don’t think that way NOW.
    ‘THEN’ being a mere 4-5 years ago. If talk radio polluted his mind half a decade ago, imagine the garbage heap that is in his cranium after listening to Glen Beck over the past year!
    He’s a narrow-minded zealot willing to be led by the short hairs by Beck and Limburger and Palin. Is anybody surprised that he is pulling his rantings of a mere 5 years ago?

9. denismenis says:

“Intellectual Conservative” – next to “Fox News”, the latest contemporary oxymoron.

10. RedMule7 says:

Wow!!! Who’d a thunk it? An extremist trying to move himself more to the center in the hope of getting elected. Nothing new here. It’s a staple in their ‘how to get elected’ strategy book.

They run to the right during the primary and head for the middle during the general election. If they win they do an abrupt u-turn and head back to the far right. This guy’ll do the same, count on it. Even if he really wanted to edge closer to the middle the party won’t let him.

If his views have changed that much why weren’t those items pulled during the primary?

Remember our previous President, the “compassionate conservative”? The closest to mainstream he ever got was in the 2000 Presidential general election.

11. smcelhiney says:

Since he has changed and matured since the writings he is ‘disappearing’, where are the writings explaining the transformation and new beliefs?

chirp chirp

12. summit98446 says:

I like & trust Rep. Dawn Morrell. She’s not into repackaging herself.

13. randydutton says:

But is he wrong? And why isn’t the press questioning Morrell’s stance on those subjects?

He obviously is disappointed in what is taught in public schools. So are most parents. Does Morrell believe public schools provide an optimum teaching environment? Why not ask her?

He supports the morality of the Boy Scouts, does Morrell? Do the Girl Scouts allow gays to work with young girls?

This could be a double edged sword, and put Morrell in a negative spotlight when her views become known.

14. The Headline should say: 18 year old Zeiger calls Girl Scouts cookie Peddlers Cookies, Morrell campaign responds!

Even in all of google’s cached pages, the best thing that Goldy from Horsesass blog and Rep. Dawn Morell’s campaign staff can come up with is Hans Zeiger calling people at the girl scouts convention a bunch of cookie peddlers.

I thought that was a little snarky for an 18 year old to say, but this string of comments bashing Zeiger contains a lot more narrow-mindedness and hate speech than anything I have seen his name on.

The Morell campaign is afraid that they will lose on the issues after getting only 40% of the primary vote.

15. S_Emerson says:

randydutton – “Do the Girl Scouts allow gays to work with young girls?”

So what if they do?

16. SteveZemkeMajorityRulesBlog says:

Is this the best Republicans have to offer? Intellectual honesty would require that he post retractions or corrections associated with his articles if that is truly what he is claiming. Merely removing them because they create a problem for him now is not showing maturity.He’s merely trying to hide the evidence. Fessing up to his mistaken ideas and statements is what maturity requires, trying to just sweep them under the rug by removing them is not..

17. Liber_Abaci says:

I would like to point out that these are NOT isolated opinion pieces written during a rash moment of youthful brazenness. The Intellectual Conservative site alone hosted 50 articles, and I’ve found an additional 100 articles on WorldNetDaily and GOPUsa. Their dates run the gamut from 2003 to 2006, and all of them are written in this same hateful, sensationalistic tone.

For three years, Hans laid out a world view for his readers that included complete contempt for public schools (or, as he calls them, “government indoctrination centers”), disdain for religions other than his own (he once dismissed “Unitarians, mainstream Baptists, Muslims, Jews, Buddhists, members of the Military Pagan Network and other watered-down ecumenists” as followers of a “false god”), and outright hatred for institutions he does not agree with (he infamously denounced the National Education Association for being an “educational terrorist organization,” more dangerous to America than Al Qaeda).

If Hans truly has changed his radical views, why is he only now removing the articles, when he presumably had four years (from the date of his last WorldNetDaily article, 2006) to do so?

18. SFKemerson says:

a) The WA Legislature has ZERO to do with the Girl Scouts of America… so I couldn’t care less what either thinks about them. Keep the Thin Mints coming and they can appoint Rosie O’Donnell their President, for all I care.

b) At least he says he changed his opinion and shows he has an open mind. I’m glad I’m not held accountable for everything I thought at 18. How about all of you?

c) When Morrell changed her mind on gutting I-601 spending limits and public disclosure requirements and flipped her vote on SB 6078, (after a 20 min. closed-door, backroom meeting) instead of showing the character of Zeiger and owning up to it, she claimed she “hit the wrong button”.

d) I’m less concerned with what either of them did 5 to 7 years ago and more concerned with what they will do 2011. Morrell votes for tax increases. Zeiger won’t. Morrell votes for increased state spending. Zeiger won’t. Morrell votes to block proof of citizenship requirements to recieve welfare. Zeiger won’t.

Thank you Dawn Morrell for your years of service to the people of Puyallup. I’ve voted for you in the past, but it’s time we move another direction.

19. muckibr says:

Recommendation to the Dawn Morrell camp: Get with Liber_Abaci ASAP and confirm the info in the post above. If it is true, and varifiable , then Hans Zeiger really seems like the last person any of us would want in our government.

Recommendation to Hans Zeiger: If what Liber_Abaci states above is untrue, then come out in the public and say so. Your silence on these claims only goes along with the sneaky way you attempted to hide those articles, and makes you seem even less trustworthy. Do you remember that the first ideal of The Scout Law is being “Trustworthy?” Prove it to us now if you want our votes.

20. CrazyJim says:

When the right wing media like WND start scrubbing your posts to help you appear mainstream……….I’m going with Dawn again.

21. colsprague says:

SFKemerson: I’d agree about the writings of someone who is only 18 or 19. But not when that person is just 25. Just not enough distance for my taste.

As for the tax increase — how much was cut before that? What services would have been cut without the tax increase? And how much is it really affecting you? I’m sick of the knee-jerk conservatives who can’t accept that sometimes there isn’t a good option so we hold our noses and vote for a tax increase.

22. So he went from loathing his “filthy” public school experience to thinking it absolutely wonderful? That is a huge about-face. He needs to address voter concerns about his character. Or, as a public school graduate himself, is he apparently devoid of that?

23. Sorry, my edition of Websters does not contain the word, “snarky”. It’s an older edition, around since my 21st year, so it’s not THAT old.
    I checked the on-line dictionary and I think I get it, though. I prefer ‘insolent’, or ‘petulant’. I think those words aptly describe the young whelp.
    “Snarky”?!? Don’t think I’ll use it. Noah Webster wouldn’t approve.

24. xenobion says:

Its sad to see Zeiger two face his way in his election. He’s subscribed to conservative blogs posting information that he’s now trying to wipe. I’m really curious of his “revelation” that he was young and naive. The guy has ZERO experience in anything; no government, private, or foreign experience… a born politician if you will.

It leaves the question what DOES he believe in? And will he just change his mind 1 year later and say he was naive then? These are fundamental beliefs people.

Dawn Morell has served Puyallup wonderfully. Half time nurse, half time politican. What you see is what you get. An experienced nurse that can add a lot of information to health care related legislation.

What do you get with Zeiger? A fresh face in sheep’s clothing.

25. There is a lot to be concerned about here. For starters he’s only 25, but he’s decided that it is perfectly acceptable to spend years spewing hate against anyone who disagrees with his radical views, and when he decided for his next excellent adventure he would run for the House – he just hides everything- and admits it. No big deal. Has he written anything after those hate filled rants that is anything different? No. That’s why we can’t trust him. At least that’s one reason in a thousand why not.

26. capncrunk says:

I guess he doesn’t know about the Wayback Machine:

There, you’ll find everything he wrote for the site by the end of 2004. There is some funny stuff in there. Spread it around to everyone you know that might vote for him. :)

27. banksyfan says:

I am 29 and I have several friends who are not only 25 but went to school with Zeiger. He was well known in school to be a bigot and disgusting individual. He has no place in politics. He doesn’t have my vote, that much I know. He is not only a gross man but has not experienced any life or had to even have a full time job! He works part time at a coalition? What experiences does this guy even have to make me believe that he even understands how the world works? No thanks. I’ve worked harder than him since I was 16 years old. Get a real job Zeiger, quit living off mommy and daddy’s money.

28. anonymous says:

Seriously ? how can talk radio be informative? But I have problem with this person, A he can’t understand that where are more people then he knows, that accepting people no matter their sexual preference is what a level minded person who isn’t brainwash in the “God loving 1960’s” way of life does. They are people! Humans like everyone else. Honestly get a life dude your just sad. I feel bad that the older generation is trying to change everything they can by brainwashing part of this generation. People are born, people live and then die. so just finish your cycle already. Honestly your just a speed bump in human progression.

29. Someone should check that “Intellectual Conservative” website more. One of the major people involved with it was Rachel Alexander. She was the “aide” to a county district attorney in Arizona, with the same theocratic views as Zeiger. So was her boss. But she and he were investigated by the State Bar for ethics violations and misuse of their office to carry out personal vendettas against people and both quickly retired from public life. There is more to this cesspool of intolerance than meets the eye. Look up Rachel Alexander, Andrew Thomas, Bar Association investigation and you will find out what kind of people Zeiger is closely working with.