Political Buzz

Talking WA politics.

NOTICE: Political Buzz has moved.

With the launch of our new website, we've moved Political Buzz.
Visit the new section.

Mark your calendars: Free parking ends in Downtown Tacoma on …

Post by Lewis Kamb / The News Tribune on July 19, 2010 at 3:48 pm with 19 Comments »
July 19, 2010 3:59 pm

September 20.

That’s the date when the City of Tacoma will throw the switch on some 160 newly-installed parking pay stations, effectively ending free parking downtown.

Karrie Spitzer, City of Tacoma spokeswoman, said today the city’s parking task force is still finalizing details on exactly where each pay station will be installed, and what the per-hour pay rate will be (the most recent estimate was 75 cents per hour).

But Spitzer said the plan is still a-go for the city to begin installing pay stations in the first half of August, with the “go live” date on 9/20.

For more details, check out the task force’s web page.

We’ve also written lots about the parking issue here, here, here and here.

1. That’s one way to get rid of the few people who still go downtown. Now you have to pay to park in front of the vacant buildings.

2. mrbaileyboy says:

The problem is age old. The people who work downtown hog parking spaces. The Tonnerville Trolly was supposed to get workers to park at the dome and ride to work. I won’t go downtown to spend money if I have to pay to park. The folks running the show should look at what happened years ago when the mall opened.

3. mschrief says:

Ok, so now I WILL NOT stop by Starbucks, have lunch at the Wells Fargo restaurant, stop by Pita Pit, Tullys on 9th, etc.

I WILL NOT ride the trolly with the homeless folks or pay to park. Guess my cash will be spent outside of the downtown area.

FREE parking is the key to getting people downtown, don’t the morons in charge realize that? Look at Fort Worth, Texas as an example, TWO major parking garages that are free after 5pm 7 days a week. Crowds everywhere.

I live for the moment I can get outta Tacoma.

4. still the 2 hour time limit on the parking meters is really dumb idea.

5. shaun9778 says:

I agree with mschrief. Salem, OR is another example. Three huge free downtown parking garages, and free 2 hr parking everywhere on the streets and Salem has crowds of people everywhere!

This is going to kill small business. It’s not so much the 75 cents, its the hassle of getting your wallet out, figuring out the machine, going back to your car and sticking the sticker on the window. Thats process just so you can run into the post office and mail a package. Who is going to do that?

Dear Tacoma, YOU ARE NOT PORTLAND!!

6. guidocarmasi says:

You mean the City of Tacoma is now to pay for people to park downtown.
    Good idea. This will bring the folks back to downtown. But what for???

7. Sonditom says:

I see this a little differently, I love to go to downtown eat, shop, whatever, but I don’t like driving around for a half a hour looking for a place to park to wind up blocks away mad and worrying about my car, so 75. Cents and a little hassle to pay is ok with me the problem is soon I’m sure it will be like Seattle and even with paid parking I will be back to driving around getting frustrated and not going at all, Maybe with this revenue the city can use some of the land the have and make a nice safe parking garage for free downtown not a half mile away?

8. Whatever1214 says:

The suburban Mall owners and all of their stores are celebrating today.

9. IKnowMoreThanYou says:

All you people cry and complain about paying for parking amaze me. What amazes me even more are the people that say they cannot wait to get out of Tacoma. Well, good riddance if you want to leave. People that think it’s a hassle to get out their wallet and “figure out” how to work the pay machine should move somewhere else with all the other high school dropouts.

I don’t know what the big deal is if you have to pay $1.50 or $3 to park for a few hours. Do you go downtown every single day to eat, shop, or walk? If so, you’re blowing a lot of money for apparently not having a job. As for comparing Tacoma to Fort Worth…wow. A city of 700,000 people like Fort Worth has a different infrastructure than that of a city just about to cross 200,000.

10. WonTonsInMySoup says:

It is no coincidence that this is taking affect right before Fall Quarter at UW-Tacoma…

11. tomwa007 says:

The city manager and counsel are so out of touch it is pathetic.

No matter how much money you throw at downtown core it is dead. Lets see what happens when they try to put meters on 6th Ave or Ruston Way.

Charging people to park causes loss of customer’s plain and simple unless the business has it’s own lot and that scenario is a death sentence to all small business.

This is NOT Seattle.

South Tacoma Business district is dead because the city will not evict flophouses in commercial buildings and bars that cause the Police Department to spend tons of resources to try patrol.

I am ashamed of the city I have lived in for more than 50 years.

12. Will you be bale to keep plugging the meter and stay more than two hours?

13. My husband and I spent a lovely morning downtown last weekend. We were impressed by the improvements that have been made. Those who say there is nothing downtown worthwhile, have you been there recently?

14. Novelist3 says:

“People that think it’s a hassle to get out their wallet and “figure out” how to work the pay machine should move somewhere else”
    Oh, they don’t have to “move” anywhere- they’ll just go to a place where the parking is free, there are guards and police keeping the peace, the hallways gleam and shine, and the weather is always beautiful. And the dollars they would have spent downtown will continue to go to that mall, allowing it to continue to expand.
    Has anyone done any research to see if any of the downtown managers have stock in Simon Malls?

15. guidocarmasi says:

160 meters @ .75 cents an hour =$ 120 per hour x 8 hours = $960 per day in revenue .

Goodwill lost = $ do the math!!!!

New management team needed in the City of Distiny

16. Daisydog says:

In a Nelson Muntz voice: HA HA!

17. Because some of you disagree with the comments you think those people should move?
    How arrogant.

18. It will keep out of town, I will go where parking is free, or I will not go.

I already pay too much in taxes, and this is just another tax, but I can avoid it.

My thoughts, a good way to help kill business in downtown.

19. klthompson says:

I never go to Seattle because of the wall to wall parking meters. Now Tacoma will be on the same list. I can’t see the logic of parking meters to park on streets with more chuckholes than pavement.