Political Buzz

Talking WA politics.

NOTICE: Political Buzz has moved.

With the launch of our new website, we've moved Political Buzz.
Visit the new section.

Seattle council unanimously passes Arizona boycott; Tacoma considers similar measure tomorrow

Post by Lewis Kamb / The News Tribune on May 17, 2010 at 3:07 pm with 51 Comments »
May 17, 2010 4:11 pm

A day before Tacoma’s council is set to consider a similar resolution, the Seattle City Council today unanimously approved a measure that, among other things, calls for a boycott of business with and travel to Arizona due to that state’s tough new law cracking down on illegal immigration.

The measure, sponsored by Seattle Councilwoman Sally Clark, calls for federal-level immigration reform while ” denouncing Arizona State Senate Bill 1070 as a step in the wrong direction, and requesting that City Departments refrain from sending City employees to the State of Arizona and refrain from entering into new contracts with businesses headquartered in the State of Arizona,” according to the council’s agenda.

“Seattle today, with this vote, would join with a host of other cities that are trying to get the attention of the federal government,” Clark said. “…There’s no doubt that Arizona is struggling and many states are struggling with the impact of a broken immigration system. Seattle struggles with it.”

Clark said the “main problem with the Arizona law … is the position it puts local law enforcement in.”

“We do not want to put local law enforcement in the position of being the immigration police,” said Clark, who noted prospective laws such as Arizona’s could deter illegal immigrants from reporting crimes, seeking health care or taking other actions that could affect the community at large.

“If you’re afraid to call 911, you’re endangering the entire community,” Clark said.

Along with Clark, other Seattle council members said the primary thrust of the measure is to get the federal government to tackle comprehensive immigration reform. The measure should not be seen as an attack on the state of Arizona, Councilman Nick Licata said.

“I’ll end it by saying I’m very, very proud of this council,” said Council president Bruce Harrell. “That says it all.”

The council chamber broke out in applause following the unanimous vote.

Seattle Mayor Mike McGinn supports the council’s measure and will sign it, according to council members. Councilwoman Sally Bagshaw added that both of Washington’s US Senators, Patty Murray and Maria Cantwell, support the Seattle council’s measure.

Other cities, including San Francisco, San Diego and Los Angeles, among them, have passed similar boycott proposals.

The Tacoma City Council is set to consider a similar resolution, sponsored by Councilmembers Ryan Mello and Lauren Walker, at its council meeting tomorrow at 5 p.m. Response to TNT coverage and an online poll about the Tacoma measure has overwhelmingly opposed it.

1. Don’t forget the TNT editorial staff which thinks its not appropriate.

2. woodlandca says:

Dear Mr. President Obama:
    I’m planning to move my family and extended family into Mexico for my health, and I would like to ask you to assist me.

We’re planning to simply walk across the border from the U.S. into Mexico, and we’ll need your help to make a few arrangements.

We plan to skip all the legal stuff like visas, passports, immigration quotas and laws.

I’m sure they handle those things the same way you do here. So, would you mind telling your buddy, President Calderon, that I’m on my way over?

Please let him know that I will be expecting the following:

1. Free medical care for my entire family.

2. English-speaking government bureaucrats for all services I might need, whether I use them or not.

3. Please print all Mexican government forms in English.

4. I want my grandkids to be taught Spanish by English-speaking (bi-lingual) teachers.

5. Tell their schools they need to include classes on American culture and history.

6. I want my grandkids to see the American flag on one of the flag poles at their school.

7. Please plan to feed my grandkids at school for both breakfast and lunch.

8. I will need a local Mexican driver’s license so I can get easy access to government services.

9. I do plan to get a car and drive in Mexico but I don’t plan to purchase car insurance, and I probably won’t make any special effort to learn local traffic laws.

10. In case one of the Mexican police officers does not get the memo from their president to leave me alone, please be sure that every patrol car has at least one English-speaking officer.

11. I plan to fly the U.S. flag from my house top, put U. S. flag decals on my car, and have a gigantic celebration on July 4th. I do not want any complaints or negative comments from the locals.

12. I would also like to have a nice job without paying any taxes, or have any labor or tax laws enforced on any business I may start.

13. Please have the president tell all the Mexican people to be extremely nice and never say critical things about me or my family, or about the strain we might place on their economy.

14. I want to receive free food stamps.

15. Naturally, I’ll expect free rent subsidies.

16. I’ll need Income tax credits so although I don’t pay Mexican Taxes, I’ll receive money from the government.

17. Please arrange it so that the Mexican Gov’t pays $4,500 to help me buy a new car.

18. Oh yes, I almost forgot, please enroll me free into the Mexican Social Security program so that I’ll get a monthly income in retirement.

I know this is an easy request because you already do all these things for all his people who walk over to the U.S. from Mexico … I am sure that President Calderon won’t mind returning the favor if you ask him nicely.

Thank you so much for your kind help. You’re the man!!!

3. Anerinman says:

I’m pleasantly surprised that the TNT printed the above E-mail. I might add, as a former AND future resident of Arizona, everyone living within 15 miles of the Arizona/Mexican border lives in constant fear, while our government does nothing to protect it’s own citizens.

Interesting that some fat politician sitting on his well taken care of (by us) duff, can castigate people who have to live with the problem, day in and day out.

4. rj99352 says:

Typical bleeding-heart liberals. They still can’t comprehend the full meaning of “ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS.” Let’s just give them all amnesty, let’s give them free health care, free food stamps, housing assistance, educational assistance. Bull crap – let’s give them a jail cell.

5. Oh,no. Now, I have to boycott Tacoma, too? Three cities in one day. Wow! I am also boycotting all of California. No more California wine at my house. I wonder if I can get a refund on my Rainiers tickets. Then, I won’t have any reason to visit Tacoma ever again.

6. ldozy1234 says:

“The measure should not be seen as an attack on the state of Arizona, Councilman Nick Licata said.”

So we should consider it ….what? Overbearing Nannyism? California bootlicking?
    Can we just give Seattle to California? We may have to add Tacoma also depending on Tuesdays vote.
    Have you all ever seen such a political group of wannabe Californians in your life?
    what a joke

7. headedsouth says:

Boycott these fools with your ballot!!! Don’t forget when you the times comes to vote do the actions of Mello and Walker merit getting re-elected?

8. lovethemountains says:

Oh gee, I’ll bet the Sealiberal city council just feels so full of themselves after passing a do nothing, feel good, pat on the back resolution. But, wait. Arizona may be looking north soon to see how they may reciprocate. I can already hear how Sealiberal would cry and whine if some southern border state criticized Seattle for the way they run their city.

9. sincere says:

Idiotocracy is catching !First san fran then san diego next lost angels.now the city that the rest of wa. state has to bow down to,Good old seattle?
    Not to be outdone, I am sure tacoma will follow the leader.That makes more cities for me to avoid.It would be funny if Az. would ship all the illegals to the cities that are boycotting them.When the cities get the bills for all the free services that Az. is now having to provide, you will hear them sing a different tune.But knowing how our elected officials seem to think, they will find something else to tax to pay for the illegals upkeep.

10. amandaholder says:

“In a capitalist society, words often aren’t enough,” Mello said. “Money talks. We need to stand behind our protest with our money.”

You got that right, Mello! I’ve made a long list of merchants outside the Tacoma city limits who will be getting my dollars if this misguided boycott is approved.

11. tonight says:

half the a holes are from califoria i just moved back from nevada too many califorians down there trying to outlaw smoking , whore houses and they want gamling out .damn puritans if they have there way everything would be illegal. i say lets make them illegal and send them to mexico

12. ldozy1234 says:

Funny how LA’s boycott does NOT include the water they purchase via Arizona…….

13. Disappointed says:

Typical self righteous, liberal, pro amnesty, pro illegal alien city council members think they speak on behalf of all the people. WRONG. I say boycott Seattle and any other anti American city that favors illegal immigration over our laws. The liberal northwest media can NOT get it right. Arizona law : POLICE can NOT ask someone about their legal status without LAWFULL contact, ie they person in question MUST be BREAKING a LAW. They CAN N OT ride around and pull people over for no apparent reason. Media just loves to spin everything in a pro liberal bias. If the majority of illegal aliens are hispanic how can you not avoid contact with hispanics. This political correctness is destroying America.

14. I will keep an extremely close eye on the views of our elected officials on this issue. If they are afraid of the Hispanic vote and the ILLEGAL” issue they will NOT receive my vote in the next election….it is well past time to STOP the abuse of our system by the “ILLEGALS”…liberal or conservative makes no difference…if no one can see the burden that the US Government has put upon Arizona by doing nothing we have no further to look than in our own backyard…Yakima area, fruit fields….I am sure Arizona’s schools are chock full of ILLEGAL children receiving a FREE education and keeping classroom sizes beyond a reasonable amount such as it is here in Washington….CLEAN IT UP….SEND THEM HOME

15. mattersnot1 says:

Boycott Seattle, including going to their sporting events. It won’t take long for the UW, Mariners, Seahawks, etc to change the Seattle City Council’s minds.

16. John McCain is a powerful senator from Az. This law is popular in Az from what I understand.
    My question is, why don’t the people get their senator to do something?
    I also do not understand what business it is of people up here.

17. BOYCOT ARIZONA ?????? That is totally asinine, that means stupid for you witless council people. This is pure political theater. As the article goes on to state it is the Federal Government at fault for our lack of enforcement of our immigration laws, not Arizona. We don’t need immigration reform. We have the laws on the books but the bleeding heart liberals and career politicians are unwilling to enforce them. If you want to boycott someone how about the congress people that are supposed to protect our nation, from all threats. Boycott the states of the Federal congress men and women. Boycott the cities they are from. Name them by name. That is the only way we are going to get them to act.

I personally plan to go to Arizona as much as I possibly can. I support Arizona and I challenge all LEGAL US Citizens, to do the same.

18. rockrabbit says:

Good for Seattle, and good for Mello and Walker — it’s good to see them standing up for civil rights and the bill of rights.

19. At first I was delighted to know that libs were all boycotting Arizona creating yet another reason to vacation and live there, but then I remembered that libs lie and are hypocrits. Just like the global warming believers who still drive cars and fly on planes. It is therefore reasonable to think that if Arizona sticks with enforcing the law it will become a better place to live. Libs enjoy living very well but can’t stand it when others do and will therefore move to Arizona, #1 to live well, and #2 to bring “change” for everyone else………

20. rockrabbit……….Do you live under a rock? The bill of rights is for AMERICAN CITIZENS.

21. Kcav1438 says:

I hope Arizona passes a boycott of Seattle because of all the liberal kooks who call it home. Let’s see in Washington we let serial murderers not have to face the death penalty. Boom– there’s your reason for a boycott. Only in Washington could such a bunch of loons be elected to public office. Never in my life have I been so embarrassed to live in this state. I’m actually going to speed up my plans to move to Arizona. Thanks wacko Seattle city council..

22. Mudbone says:

It should be ‘shoot to kill’ of illegals crossing the border!

23. sl35351 says:

It seems to me that most people support Arizona’s new law.

Deleting comments from one side of an issue doesn’t mean that people are in favor of “boycotting” Arizona. Just the elected lazies.

The do nothing then bitch technique is liberalism at its finest! It worked in Iraq.

24. rkrebs56 says:

So, I wonder if the Seattle and Tacoma city councils even took the 5 and a half minutes it takes to the read the Arizona law, which reiterates the Federal Law. I also wonder if these so-called “public servants” understand that only the Federal goverment can dictate rules over interstate commerce. Oh, but the constitution is only a “fluid” document to be interpreted by the “wise” elected officials on the city councils. We are now officially in a non-business environment in our country where states and individual rights are trampled on daily. Go Arizona and any other state that dares to enforce existing federal law!

25. dansk46 says:

Council members, please read Arizona’s law, as it is stated and not try to interpret to mean something else. Why would you insanely try to be a copycat to other cities that are boycotting Arizona? Many of us have family in Az. and do business in that state. Why should we now shun all that just by what a few council members believe in what they feel is right? You got voted in, so now keep in mind, you can easily get voted right back out. What you are creating is nothing more than a strong arm tactic. Keep your politics right here in Tacoma and leave AZ. alone to take care of theirs. The majority of the people believe AZ. is in the right, so what does that tell you? Quit your babying the illegals. Before council members tell other people what to do, how about legally putting it out there for people to vote on? The people of Tacoma need to have a voice on this matter, since it’s so important and affects everyone.

26. m9078jk3 says:

I think the proper thing to do would be for EVERYONE that disagrees with the
    city council should sign up and speak at the public forum tomorrow to voice disagreement and displeasure with the city council and oppose city resolution no 38034.

27. Let’s see if Mello and Walker have the guts to follow through with this resolution after viewing public sentiments . Mello probably will stand to the bitter end but Walker historically folds. and storms off. Time to separate the grown ups from the children.

28. rockrabbit says:

Public polling within Tacoma of normal people (not Trib commenters) would reveal much less opposition than you get from the freakshow here.

29. Rootkick says:

The L.A. times took just such a poll:

There were a total of 35,521 votes. The results:

To the question “Was the L.A. city council right to pass a boycott of Arizona?”,
    3% said “Yes. Arizona needs to feel the consequences of eneacting a bad law.”,
    1% said “Yes, though the boycott should be more of a symbolic gesture than an official measure.”,
    5% said “No, but only because doing so is probably illegal and not in L.A.’s interests.”, and
    91% said what any sane person would say: “No. The city should mind its own business.”

30. tacpatriot says:

Do we as a society no longer understand the term illegal? Illegal actions, illegal drugs, illegal immigrants…etc. What does it lead to ???? Lawlessness, corruption, the impression that rules and standards mean nothing and that only ones personal interests of the moment are what matters. Is this truly how we as a public entity want to evolve and grow our future.
    Well I for one of many, and this is after discussing the issue with plenty of others, will chose to boycott any cities or locaties that will NOT support AZ for promoting right and lawful intentions.
    City council… represent the people. And focus on your duties to your respective constituents instead of personal public fanfare towards your political ambitions.

31. SkipAnderson says:

Knuckleheads. Sorry I don’t know how to say that in Mexifornia for those of you in the stupid end of the gene pool to understand. I’m going to start boycotting products with bi-ligual labeling. Arizona may not have it right, but they sure as heck are moving in the right direction.

32. lovethemountains says:

Bet your wrong, rockrabbit.

33. karendug says:

Don’t anything from Seattle-ick, don’t anything for Tacoma-ick, don’t like either dirty city or their by products of oh yes more taxes on outlying communities for their own transit systems that have failed over and over again. Boycott all Mexican products, restaurants and anything from Seattle or Tacoma. Bye bye Mexican lovers! And bye bye your political posts!!!

34. karendug says:

lovethemountains says:
    May 17, 2010 at 8:14 pm
    Bet your wrong, rockrabbit.

Double double Ditto, as in rockrabbit is a deadhead Liberal!!!

35. ktcmairman says:

Such fools? Does the Seattle City Council really think their opinions really matter to us?
    Could you nuts up there let them know it does not mean anything.

36. LakewoodConservative……………..?????????? Been drinking tonight ?????

37. Seattle is the “floatie” that doesn’t go down when Olympia flushes the first time. This is just another reason to hate Seattle, and Washington politics in general. I hope Arizona will have room for all us Washingtonian Immigrants !!!

38. LakewoodConservative, we may be Tea Baggers, but you sound like a Bag-Licker !

39. WoodlandCa – You Rock !!!! Excellent Letter – mind if I use if for my wish list to Santa this next Christmas while the incumbents are packing their bags?

40. While I fully expected this outcome from a “sanctuary city” such as Seattle, I look forward to the vote tomorrow in Tacoma. It will be very telling. Every where in the country today, (with Arizona as the exception of the moment) elected representatives are too far removed from the will of the people. Trying to claim the high moral ground over we serfs. If the Tacoma City council actually passes this bill, I predict every supporting council member will face huge challenges to re-election. I’m wondering if these elected people are just trying to catch the attention of the national democratic party for career reasons with grand standing plays like ‘Boycott AZ’. If it passes but does not include the Photo Cop Red Light devices as part of the embargo, we will see the true nature of the characters we elect.

41. sincere says:

Rockrabid is a perfect example of the freakshow here.

42. tommy98466 says:

I’m sure Arizona cares less what the Seattle City Council does. These self important burecrats think it will matter, well it won’t. The Phoenix suns will boycott Seattle and not play in Seattle. I’ve cancelled my trip to Disneyland with my grandchildren but I’m sure the people of Kalifornia won’t miss the money. I’m going to Phoenix instead. Think I will buy a house while I’m there. You symbol over substance liberals are really pathetic.

43. What a bunch of self-important hypocritical dumba$$es…. seattle city council decides they are going to show Arizona by passing a meaningless resolution to call for boycotting Arizona businesses. Then what do they promptly do? They selectively decide to exempt the Arizona company that supplies seattle with red light cameras. Now WHY” would they do that? Because those cameras are a source of city revenue – nice hypocritical move….. disgusting…. the seattle city council has about as much credibility as Miss Cleo and her psychic network…. “Call me now for yer free reading”. It’s sad when these clowns don’t even have a clue how utterly stupid they look….. next stop for the idiotic express? Tacoma city council…. sheep over a cliff, watch, the big city wannabees will do the same stupid thing. What does this do? Well one thing is for sure, boycotters will certainly hurt the income of local people who work for Arizona businesses.

44. Not so fast…. Mello and Walker have read their mail. Guess what! The Tacoma City council WILL NOT be voting on anything as stupid and meaningless as eceonomic sanctions. Instead, they waste council time with an equally meaningles and stupid ‘censure’ of Arizona for it’s ‘harsh’ laws. Those two are one term council members me thinks.

45. mattersnot1 says:

California has also excempted the power they get from Arizona.

46. NegativeNancy says:

like ive said before. Just another example of our government pushing their own agenda and not the will of the people. Im tired of being a member of the silent majority. Lets all make sure we remember who is involved with stupid things like this and make sure they dont get realected.

47. guidocarmasi says:

Impressive Now go back to work to solve traffic problems
    And by the way send the them to Seattle.

48. DAKOTANATIVE says:

How is it that in a city where less than 10% of the people agree with the boycott, they still pass it? Not representing the people.

49. Make laws targetting Gays,Blacks,Jews,Muslims, etc… its discriminatory and hatefull. Make laws targetting Hispanic and Latinos, and its a law?Hmmm?

50. haveaniceday says:

Being Illegal is a crime-Being at war- it makes sense to know who is a Citizen who is Illegal. Logic is the only term for the Arizona Law.