My high school newspaper adviser Bob Cannell once held up the front page of the News Tribune that blared the headline: “President Ford Will Not Visit Tacoma.”
“You could fill the paper everyday with all the things that aren’t going to happen,” he said. I half expected the next day’s paper to declare, with relief, that “Typhoon Doesn’t Strike Tacoma,” or “Hundreds Don’t Perish When Massive Earthquake Doesn’t Hit Region.”
I thought about that lesson today when I received a press release from the Paul Akers for U.S. Senate campaign, It began with this headline: “U.S. Senate Candidate Paul Akers To Stay In Race.”
Okay. Thanks for that.
Akers apparently thinks we think that as soon as Dino Rossi declares – if he ever declares – for the Senate race that the dozen or so declared GOP candidates will flee in the face of the Rossi juggernaut. Not so, says Akers.
“Let me be perfectly clear; I am staying in this race and I am in this race to win,” he said. (He also tried to distinguish himself from the other candidates by saying he believes “that America is the greatest country in the world.”)
Here’s the release so you can judge for yourself whether Akers actually committed news today (unless, of course, it is really designed to get us to run his nine reasons for staying in the race):
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
April 27, 2010
US SENATE CANDIDATE PAUL AKERS TO STAY IN THE RACE
Today, US Senate candidate Paul Akers issued this statement:
“There has been a lot of talk about what happens if Dino Rossi gets into the race. Let me be perfectly clear; I am staying in this race and I am in this race to win. This Senate race is about choosing the best leader with the best ideas.
I am a proven leader who has created jobs and I continue to create opportunities for the citizens of Washington State and this country, even during this economic downturn.
My company operates within its means, empowers people, and honors the creativity and innovation of Americans across this country. This is exactly what is lacking in Washington, DC and is what I will deliver as your next US Senator.
Reasons to Support Paul Akers for US Senate:
1. He creates jobs; he doesn’t just talk about them.
2. He consistently takes people’s good ideas from concept to completion. He listens to people and values their creativity and input. It’s part of his DNA.
3. He lives within his means and runs a fiscally responsible company, operating from a position of strength.
4. He believes that America is the greatest country in the world. His experience is personal: his grandparents immigrated here in 1913. The fact that their grandson is running for US Senate demonstrates the boundless opportunity this country provides.
5. He has deep admiration and respect for the men and women in our armed services. He employs former military in both his company and his campaign staff.
6. His 10-3-Lean plan will create jobs, and reduce the size of a wasteful, bloated government. It unleashes the creative genius of the American people. This is not a theory. He has the knowledge, experience, and capacity to implement this plan.
7. He wants to transfer the power from Washington DC back to the American people. He believes that problems are best solved at the local level. People involved in solving problems at the local level will bring the lasting change that all Americans want.
8. He believes in the manifest destiny of our founding documents. He will uphold and protect the Constitution of the United States.
9. He brings authentic, proven leadership, not political speak. He is not a politician, he is a citizen-leader.