U.S. Rep. Cathy McMorris Rodgers just spoke briefly. The high point of her speech was her “Top 10 reasons it’s good to be a Republican in 2008.” Here you are:
10. We believe federal judges should follow the rule of law, not the latest episode of “Law and Order.”
9. We remember the old adage about change – Be careful what you wish for.
8. Republicans are improving our communication skills – we’re stoppping speaking in terms like (insert $10 words here).
7. Compared to Democrats, we finally look like fiscal conservatives.
6. We don’t have to worry what our presidential candidate is doing at 3 a.m.
5. We recognize the obvious: Hydropower is a renewable resource.
4. We’re not asking what our country, what our government can do for us, but what we can do for our country.
3. We believe Al Gore deserves an ‘F’ in science and an ‘A’ in creative writing.
2. Dino Rossi and one vote for every voter.
1. We are the only group that Christine Gregoire can’t unionize.
Right now, U.S. Rep. Dave Reichert is up. He repeated a joke I first heard him tell at the Pierce County Republicans’ Lincoln Day breakfast earlier this year. It involves an airplane that’s going to crash, one fewer parachute than passengers and, ultimately, Hillary Clinton dying.