News Tribune Photo

Order reprints

18 Responses Subscribe to comments

1. Hobbledeyhoy

I’m happy for him.

Nov 19, 2011 @ 7:36 pm

2. Dave Hill

I say it was worth it… but could have been much cheaper if someone had given him the straight message in the beginning – instead of the politically correct one.

Nov 20, 2011 @ 5:55 am

3. skippythedog

Great timing on this story huh? Cutting 165 cop and firefighter positions on Friday and then telling us about this guy Saturday. A bus ticket to the Dakotas would have sufficed.

Nov 20, 2011 @ 12:38 pm

4. Rose Stidham

Profound story that shows the power of “community” to support the will of Cecil to recover. Yet state voters recently passed an initiative relaxing liquor laws (1183) and our governor and legislators now propose dropping alcohol and drug treatment from the budget! How can this be? Surely we will see an increase in liquor sales with 1183 and increased state tax income. Yet if detox and other treatment goes away non-profits such as MDC and our LOCAL police, fire and hospitals will even more than ever be covering the cost of the other Cecils’ long road to recovery. Can our state walk away from this story. I beg not. RMS

Nov 20, 2011 @ 1:04 pm

5. Misunderestimated

so is he going to start paying back his debt now?

Think of all of the good that could have been done, all of the lives that could have been saved with the $2 million wasted on this guy

Nov 20, 2011 @ 7:21 pm

6. jeffm209

He must be that 1% everyone is so pissed of at… Eh?

Nov 20, 2011 @ 7:43 pm

7. mark bader

It’s astounding to think of all the money this man has cost the tax payers of this region.Not to mention the heartache he has caused to the family he ran out on, and all the people he has used along the way.No where in this article did he say he was sorry for his actions,or say thanks to the people who picked him up so many times only to be let down by him yet again.He has contributed nothing to society at large except to be held up as an example of how not to live your life.He’s sober now,great.He owes A huge debt of gratitude to so many people and nowhere in this article did I hear that expressed.We have done enough for him.I’ll buy him his bus ticket back home if he promises not to come back.

Nov 20, 2011 @ 8:09 pm

8. sasykat59

I know Cecil and I am so proud of him he I too lived at Metropolitan Development Council –– on Fawcett Avenue , for about year and half
    I too got my help from them , and from Rebecca Bird, and the caseworkers there, , I am 5 yrs clean off meth,
    and I saw personally how hard Cecil was working on staying sober this time,,Even though I did not know him well or very long, we lived in same buildng . Alcoholism and drug addiction is not easy to beat , but if he can survive and beat this, anyone who is struggling can ,what is sad many of the programs are being cut or funding is not there,

Nov 20, 2011 @ 11:14 pm

9. jeffm209

I think I just NOW decided to move to Mexico!

Nov 21, 2011 @ 6:54 pm

10. gscott

I often hear, in support of laws or legislation, “if it saves one life it will have been worth it”. Sadly, here’s an example where that is not true.

Nov 23, 2011 @ 9:18 am

11. medical

I can’t believe how cruel people can be. This gentleman needed help, MDC was able to help him and others like him. To me this is great, I myself love helping people. I am in the medical field, I work within the low income
    population, and if it wasn’t for MDC and other organizations, people would have a worse time getting the help that they need.
    I also don’t feel that this gentleman should have to pay any money back, its not like he robbed or killed someone.

Nov 23, 2011 @ 3:19 pm

12. lovethemountains

How much did the local “native American” community contribute to this man’s (maybe temporary) recovery?

Nov 23, 2011 @ 5:44 pm

13. Bobbi

I think it is wonderful that
    Cecil received the therapy and help he needed. I think we need to remember that alcoholism has, for several decades, been established as a medical condition–a chronic medical condition. People are not as cruel about other medical conditions such as cancer or diabetes or heart conditions…also conditions that are influenced/caused by behaviors. I hope we remember that treatment is always more cost effective than hospitalization. We need to preserve treatment options…which are slated for cuts by the governor.

Nov 24, 2011 @ 8:43 am

14. samanthamarten

TNT Editors get to work– this is a nasty story that should be accompanied by some walking papers.

Nov 24, 2011 @ 10:26 am

15. lisa5

I know Cecil and I am happy that he is sober but I have mixed feelings about this story. How much taxpayer money should be spent to save one individual from his own self destructive behavior? The Native Americans Tribes have prospered financially from their casinos, fireworks sales and leases on the Port of Tacoma but it seems they have been reluctant to invest in substance abuse facilities and programs. Where has THEIR concern for Cecil been for all these years?

Nov 24, 2011 @ 12:31 pm

16. COJones

Too bad the so-called, mythological “god” didn’t choose to impart any wisdom before a multitude of other people had to suffer because of this scumbag’s degenerate life.

Nov 24, 2011 @ 12:49 pm

17. ItalianSpring

Time to pay the bill Cecil.

Nov 25, 2011 @ 11:13 pm