Inside Opinion

What's on the minds of Tacoma News Tribune editorial writers

NOTICE: Inside Opinion has moved.

With the launch of our new website, we've moved Inside Opinion.
Visit the new section.

The ‘most disturbing personality’ on cable television?

Post by Cheryl Tucker on Feb. 28, 2011 at 5:30 pm with 17 Comments »
March 2, 2011 5:11 pm

I have to admit, I can’t watch more than a few minutes of Glenn Beck. He gets so worked up, I’m afraid his head is going to explode.

Beck has long been a target for liberal commentators like Jon Stewart. But now some respected conservative voices are starting to speak out about him, including Joe Scarborough. Beck, he said Friday on his MSNBC “Morning Joe” show, “is losing it before our eyes.”

Scarborough cited a recent posting for Commentary by conservative blogger Peter Wehner. He writes that Beck “has become the most disturbing personality on cable television,” whose apocalyptic visions and wild rantings “confirm the worst caricatures of the right.” Conservatives would be wise to distance themselves from Beck – and fast – Wehner writes.

It looks to me like it’s only a matter of time — and I suspect not much time — until he blows apart professionally. If and when that happens, one can only hope that conservatism as a movement will have created enough distance from Beck to mitigate the damage.

1. blakeshouse says:

It is no wonder Cheryl is so confused. She sites far left libs as conservatives. She seems to think the voices of conservatism are to be found at CNN MSNBC and the like. Of course to these socialist / neo marxist propaganda machines think anyone to the right of Stalin or Castro is an arch conservative. Anyone who is actually a conservative would be bodily removed from either of these lame stream media outlets. Go ahead and continue to try and denigrate the people of Fox News, we see how well it is working so far. A 3 pete show at 1 am on fox will garner a larger audience that any first run program on either of these excuses for a news network. As always never let facts get in the way of a good smear campaign

2. nwcolorist says:

“Anyone who is actually a conservative would be bodily removed from either of these lame stream media outlets”. – blakeshouse

Well said. There is not the faintest chance a real conservative would ever get in the door at MSNBC.

Cheryl, it looks like the TNT and the lame stream media outlets are gearing up an another assault on Fox News prior to the 2012 elections. Am I right?

3. JudasEscargot says:

So former Republican Congressman Joe Scarborough isn’t conservative enough?

I’d say Cheryl’s point is proved by Blakes and NW.

When is “Conservative” “conservative enough”?

As to audience ratings, the cume for professional wrestling is huge. Maybe that’s why Beck has a large cume.

4. steilacoomtaxpayer says:

Thanks for the comment about GB, Cheryl. This man is a desperado. Why people listen to his “stuff” amazes me. “Caricature of the right” is a great title for this dude.

5. dustdevil11 says:

The most disturbing person on cable or network for that matter is the big BO himself. A community organizer-in-chief.

6. Has anyone looked seriously at the stats for the Food Network? Bobby Flay, Michael Symond, Cat Cora, Guy Fieri all have way more viewers than Beck. Can he cook? Besides Mud Pie?

7. ratujack says:

Cheryl Tucker…..why are you getting all worked up over GlennBeck…..you are the typical left wing journalist. If Beck do’s not please your idea of speech and entertainment…. he is bad. You only believe in your speech. Don’t you get it…. Beck is making millions. You have been at the TNT way toooo long. Move on!

8. ratujack says:

The most disturbing lame stream media print journalism is the TNT. FCC or someone shut em down ….please.

By the way Cheryl….Beck is on at 2 in the afternoon……do you watch TV all day?

9. BlaineCGarver says:

The left and right wing news outlets are all bordering on lunacy. I confine my viewing to the BBC, and PNB nightly news. TNT could seriously review what the difference between opinion, and news is.

10. nwcolorist says:

Judas, this bit about pooh-poohing ratings is rather telling. Rating are how this country works. Barack Obama won the elections because his ‘rating’ were higher than McCain’s. People buy products and services based on ratings (advertising, word of mouth, Consumer Reports, etc.)

In a nation that values democratic values, that’s how decisions are made. In opposition, in centrally planned societies, a small elite group makes the decisions for the masses.

Sounds like you are saying that you don’t trust the will of the people.

11. concernedtacoma7 says:

So Joe Scarborough says Beck is “losing it before our eyes” and quotes a blogger? Who cares? Weak arguement. Quote the man himself or quantify your statement

12. Soundlife says:

Last time I checked, Mr Beck was paid as an entertainer. Interesting that this biased reporter would so slant her rant.
    I personally don’t watch him.
    I rank him as a loon along with Chris Mathews, Bill O’Reilly, et.al.
    Ms Tucker has merely shown her true colors under the guise of reporting an attack on Mr Beck by another entertainer, Mr Scarboro.
    Basically, who cares?
    I find Cheryl Tuckers loonie ravings mentally taxing and can only read a few words at a time, all the time wondering how her head keeps from exploding under her delusions of normalcy

13. pazzo242 says:

I love when the left writes anti-right articles. They are doing nothing but shooting themselves in the foot. For those who may not have taken in Glenn Beck will do so to see what the hub-bubs is about. Many will tune in again and again to see and there you go–increased ratings for Beck. Exactly the opposite of what lefties like Tucker is trying to accomplish.

They did it with Sarah Palin and look what is happening to her—$$$$ in her pocket for all the conservative speaking engagements, TV show, radio programs, etc. I can see it now, the rolling of the eyes and the “You’ve got to be kidding me” comments from the left—but like it or not the left made her what she is today–a thorn in the left buttocks. I encourage the left to continue this pattern, it works well for us.

So now on to Beck. I think he is a bit loony as well, but he is truly an entertainer and if the left says he’s wrong, I think I will watch his show to see if I disagree. Got to love those ratings.

14. NWflyfisher says:

The demonizing of Mr. Beck and the ad hominum attacks on him are ridiculously childish. What’s missing in them is any disproval of the facts he presents through original audio, video or writings by individuals in their own words. As he tells his listeners: “Don’t take my word for it. Look it up for yourselves. Do your own research.” Though some may care to debate the conclusions he draws, none can intelligently argue the facts he presents.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.” – John Adams

15. I always thought Charlie Sheen was the most disturbing personality on TV, but then I’m normal. Given the state of TV today, Beck, Overbite, and the rest seem to be more of a sitcom then serious news commentary.

16. I cannot believe anyone in his or her right mind would watch and listen to Mr. Beck more than once or twice. He is the posterboy of paranoia. He is the posterboy of thinly veiled racism. He is the posterboy of irrationality. He is the posterboy of the far, far, far, far, right. I wonder who else might be in those categories.
    He bashes minorities and their quest for equality. He bashes anyone who says that America could do better. He is not a thinking person, he is a reactionary.
    He is a waste of time.

17. Rollo_Tomassi says:

An entertainer that thrives on shock value will naturally keep pushing the envelop until he finally pushes to far. Its not a matter of if, but when.