Inside Opinion

What's on the minds of Tacoma News Tribune editorial writers

NOTICE: Inside Opinion has moved.

With the launch of our new website, we've moved Inside Opinion.
Visit the new section.

The Nalley Valley briefing DOT never gave

Post by Kim Bradford on June 29, 2010 at 8:41 pm with 3 Comments »
June 29, 2010 4:43 pm

No one was more surprised than the members of The News Tribune’s editorial board to read Saturday of a $890,000 mistake on the Nalley Valley viaduct project.

The reason: Not four weeks ago, Department of Transportation chief Paula Hammond and Olympic region administrator Kevin Dayton had met with the ed board to talk about progress on the project, among other things. No mention was made of such a costly and significant error.

Monday morning, I emailed DOT officials to say we didn’t feel like they had been straight with us. Hammond called us to explain. “I profusely apologize,” she began by saying. Hammond said that by the time she met with us June 3, the mistake – engineers directed a contractor to build an offramp in the wrong place – was old news to her. The state discovered the error in the fall and came up with a solution in February.

But the blunder was still very much on the minds of some at DOT: Those charged with negotiating concurrence with the contractor to fix the state’s mistake. That agreement wasn’t reached until June 18; then the contractor began tearing up the offramp last Friday.

Whatever prevented DOT from sharing the information with us on June 3, it shouldn’t have been an issue – because DOT should have told the public about the problem before then and long before its hand was forced. An agency that voluntarily admits its mistakes risks inviting criticism, but preserves a good deal of its credibility.

Leave a comment Comments → 3
  1. I say start at the top and fire the first 2,000 people who work for the DOT.

  2. larsman says:

    So it wasn’t going to be an International Bungee Jump Park after all?

  3. Scottc51 says:

    Sounding like an air-headed teenager, Paula Hammond, Department of Transportation Chief, said, “That’s bad on me.” Tearing down the eastbound offramp is costing taxpayers $890,000.
    Ms. Hammond said that a review was underway to determine what went wrong. Give me a break! What went wrong was Ms. Hammond didn’t oversee the project, didn’t inform the House and SenateTransportation Committees, issued an inadequate and evasive statement in December,
    and “Totally forgot about it” in a conference with the News Tribune.
    When asked if there would be disciplinary action taken, she seemed to state that there may not be one person to blame. I disagree.

We welcome comments. Please keep them civil, short and to the point. ALL CAPS, spam, obscene, profane, abusive and off topic comments will be deleted. Repeat offenders will be blocked. Thanks for taking part and abiding by these simple rules.

JavaScript is required to post comments.

Follow the comments on this post with RSS 2.0