Inside Opinion

What's on the minds of Tacoma News Tribune editorial writers

NOTICE: Inside Opinion has moved.

With the launch of our new website, we've moved Inside Opinion.
Visit the new section.

New way to submit and view letters to the editor

Post by Cheryl Tucker on April 28, 2010 at 8:07 am with 10 Comments »
April 27, 2010 12:13 pm

On Thursday, change is coming to the letters to the editor – both in the way letters are submitted to The News Tribune and how they are published.

The e-mail address that many writers have used for submitting letters – – is being discontinued. Instead, writers will submit their letters via an easy-to-use online form on The News Tribune’s website. The URL is

The form allows writers to suggest their own headline and includes a word counter so they know when they reach the 250-word limit.

Letters will be published in two ways: Some of the letters we receive will be selected to run in the newspaper as usual. They will also appear online on the letters blog (, where we will post additional letters that don’t make the print edition.

Because space is limited in the newspaper, most letters cannot be printed. The blog will allow us to share many more. Although our 30-day limit on publication will not apply to letters that appear on the blog, excessive submissions will not be posted.

We hope this new way of submitting and publishing letters will encourage more readers to share their opinions. If you have questions, please call Cheryl Tucker at 253-552-7033.

1. Dear Cheryl,

What is the standard used for weighting and scoring letters to the editor that will be published in the print version of the TNT?

Best regards,

2. cheryltucker says:

The same standard we use now will still apply. We take into account such things as timeliness, good writing and whether it’s saying something different from letters we’ve already run on the subject.

We’ll just be running MORE letters. Ones that don’t make the cut for print will have a good chance of being published online.

3. tubbythetuba says:

Dear Cheryl,

There needs to be a quick link from making comments on a letter to go back to the letters section, please.

4. villager98 says:

Seeing more letters might be a good way to see a wider variety of opinion but I don’t see either more letters or even those published as I try to read letters. I may be a total dunce at websites but the old one at least worked for me.

5. Cheryl Tucker says:

This blog only includes very recent letters, ones we received since we went “live” with the new format. To see older letters, scroll down the page to Archives. Eventually, this blog will be full of letters.

6. Cheryl Tucker says:

I checked with our web guru who says such a quick link you’re talking about is doable, but it’s not the standard in blogdom and could be confusing for some. (I don’t know….seems like a reasonable thing to me.)

He says just go up to the top of the page and click on Letters or hit the “back” button on your browser to get back to the main letters page. I know this might slow down your commenting a millisecond, but that might not be a bad thing.

7. tubbythetuba says:

“I know this might slow down your commenting a millisecond, but that might not be a bad thing.”

<{:-)~ Are you trying to tell me somthing, young Lady…. <{;-)~

8. Cheryl Tucker says:

Who me? No, I’m just looking out for your health. Too much commenting can lead to carpal tunnel syndrome. Or high blood pressure.

9. tubbythetuba says:

I am overwhelmed by your devotion to your readers. I knew there was a conservative bone or two in your body {;-)~

10. Will the comments one makes on letters show up in the commenter’s profile? Doesn’t seem to be happening now, whereas in the past, either the writer or the reader could see what the commenter has written previously.