A busy weekend of Memorial Day events is just around the corner in Pierce and Thurston counties. Here’s a look at the weekend’s ceremonies culled from community groups, Joint Base Lewis-McChord and the Washington Department of Veterans Affairs.
- Key Peninsula Veterans Aisle of Honor, 1 p.m., VaughnBayCemetery, the cemetery is located at the corner of 100th Street Kp N and 186th Avenue Kp N, Vaughn. 253-884 9852. Signs will be posted from State Route 302. The formal ceremony begins about 1 p.m., but flags will be on display from 7 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- Yelm Cemetery Memorial Day Service, 1 p.m., 11540 Cemetery Road SE, Yelm, 360-458-5377.
- Enumclaw Memorial Day Service, 2 p.m., Veterans Memorial Park, Enumclaw.
- Tacoma Veterans for Peace Chapter 134 plans to place symbolic grave markers at Cummings Park on Sunday and Monday, 7 a.m. to 7 p.m., 3939 Ruston Way, Tacoma.
- Wear Blue: Run to Remember, 9 a.m., PowderWorks Park, DuPont. Members of the local group are running different distances to honor fallen service members.
- SumnerCemetery Memorial Day Service, 10 a.m., 12324 Valley Ave. East Puyallup, 253.299.5510.
- St. Patrick’s Catholic Cemetery Memorial Day Observance, 10:30 a.m., S. 204thSt. and Orilla Road, Kent, 253.838.2240.
- Gethsemane Catholic Cemetery Memorial Day Observance, 10:30 a.m., 37600 Pacific Highway South, Federal Way. Vietnamese Mass to follow at 1 p.m., 253.838.2240.
- Memorial Day Program, 10:30 a.m.. Bethany Cemetery, 26418 Mountain Highway, Spanaway. 253-531-6701.
- Thurston County Veterans Coalition Annual Memorial Day Ceremony, music, 10:30 a.m.; ceremony, 11 a.m., State Capitol Rotunda, Olympia.
- DuPont Memorial Day Service with remarks from Joint Base Lewis-McChord senior Army officer Lt. Gen. Robert Brown, 11 a.m., Ross Plaza, DuPont, 253.964.1455.
- Tacoma Historical Society and American Legion Memorial Day Service, 11 a.m. War Memorial Park, West End Tacoma off North Jackson Avenue.
- Calvary Cemetery Memorial Day Service with the Rev. John Wilke, 11 a.m., 5212 70th St. W, Tacoma, 253.472.8875.
- Joint Base Lewis-McChord Memorial Day Service with remarks from 7th Infantry Division commander Maj. Gen. Stephen Lanza, 11:30 a.m., base cemetery.
- Olympia Thunder Run to Washington State Vietnam Veterans Memorial, Olympia. 9 a.m., meet at Northwest Harley Davidson and Eagle Leather, Lacey. Email firstname.lastname@example.org for information.
- Tahoma National Cemetery Ceremony, with guest speakers, 1 p.m., 18600 SE 240th St., Kent, 425-413-9614
- Pierce County Veterans Advisory Council and Mountain View Memorial Day Ceremony, 2 p.m., 4100 Steilacoom Blvd. SW, Lakewood, 253-584-0252.
- Milton VFW Memorial Day Service, 1 p.m., veterans memorial at Milton CommunityPark, 15th Avenue and Milton Way.
- Puyallup Memorial Day Program, 1 p.m. Pioneer Park Pavilion, 330 S. Meridian, Puyallup, 360-893-8022.
- Tumwater American Legion, Post 166, Memorial Day Commemoration, Mills and Mills Memorial Park, 2 p.m., 5725 Littlerock Road SW, Tumwater, 360.357.7743.
- Washington Soldiers Home Ceremony, with guest speakers Lt. Col. Brandon Bowline, Battalion, Commander and Command Sgt. Maj. Thomas Wrighton, 56th Multifunctional Medical Battalion Joint Base Lewis-McChord, 2 p.m., Chilson Hall, 1301 Orting-Kapowsin Highway, Orting. 360-893-4511