FOB Tacoma

NOTICE: FOB Tacoma has moved.

With the launch of our new website, we've moved FOB Tacoma.
Visit the new section.

JBLM soldier killed in southern Afghanistan

Post by Adam Ashton / The News Tribune on April 30, 2012 at 3:25 pm |
April 30, 2012 3:25 pm

Minnesota news outlets are reporting that a Joint Base Lewis-McChord soldier was killed in Afghanistan’s Kandahar Province on Sunday.

Spc. Nicholas Dickhut, 23, of Rochester, Minn. just last week was photographed in an image that appeared on news web sites all over the country. It shows him lining up a shot after coming under fire in Kandahar three days before his death.

The Defense Department and Lewis-McChord have not released their formal press releases announcing his death.

“I don’t even want to think about the fact that he’s never coming home,” his mother, Jacqueline Carson, told Minnesota Public Radio. “All the plans that he had made and all the things we talked about, it’s just never going to happen. I really thought he was going to make it. I really did.”

Carson told the radio station that Dickhut was a forward observer from the 5th Battalion, 20th Infantry Regiment. His death is the second fatal casualty from that battalion on its yearlong deployment. The battalion deployed in December.

It belongs to Lewis-McChord’s 3rd Brigade, 2nd Infantry Division but it is reporting to another brigade from the 82nd Airborne Division out of Fort Bragg during this deployment.

 

 

*
The News Tribune now uses Facebook commenting on selected blogs. See editor's column for more details. Commenters are expected to abide by terms of service for Facebook as well as commenting rules for thenewstribune.com. Report violators to webmaster@thenewstribune.com.