FOB Tacoma

NOTICE: FOB Tacoma has moved.

With the launch of our new website, we've moved FOB Tacoma.
Visit the new section.

Is JBLM getting an infantry division? Secretary of the Army visiting Thursday with news

Post by Adam Ashton / The News Tribune on April 25, 2012 at 9:31 am with 9 Comments »
April 25, 2012 3:52 pm

Secretary of the Army John McHugh is visiting Joint Base Lewis-McChord Thursday to make announcement on a “force alignment” decision that will impact the military community south of Tacoma, the Army said today.

McHugh’s visit appears different from recent trips made by other senior Army leaders to Lewis-McChord in the past two months in that the Army says McHugh has a “basing decision” to release tomorrow. That’s different from the Army leaders who visited Lewis-McChord to answer questions about the base and the state of the force, but not to break news.

Recently, defense experts have suggested Lewis-McChord is ready to have an Army division stationed there to help manage its infantry brigades. The ranks of active duty soldiers at Lewis-McChord nearly doubled since 2003, and its size now closely resembles the Army’s largest bases.

Those bases, such as Fort Bragg in North Carolina and Fort Hood in Texas, have an Army corps to manage an Army division, and a division to oversee combat brigades. Lewis-McChord is missing the middle layer. It has a corps overseen by a three-star general managing brigades led by colonels. An infantry division is usually overseen by a two-star general who reports to the three-star at the corps level.

Fort Lewis was the home of the Army’s 9th Infantry Division until the early 1990s. Lewis-McChord senior Army officer Lt. Gen. Curtis Scaparrotti in an interview at his headquarters in Kabul last week said he favored the creation of a division at Lewis-McChord because it enables better mentorship of junior leaders. Scaparrotti is the No. 2 commander of the war in Afghanistan this year with Lewis-McChord’s I Corps.

1. skippythedog says:

Woohoo! More traffic, more crime!

2. Adam Ashton says:

Reporter here, I should clarify that Army leaders want to bring a division headquarters here, not an entirely new division. It’d mean adding a few hundred soldiers in administrative roles, not bringing another 12K soldiers to Lewis-McChord to build an entirely new division.

3. BlaineCGarver says:

Screw you two anti-Military pukes..If you better halves ever met a Soldier, you’d never get them back again.

4. mojjonation says:

Ex Mil here BCG. If the statistics didn’t support what we said, we wouldn’t of said it. I’m far from anti military. I’m more pro military than most, maybe even more than you. I’m just anti knucklehead. Since the ARMY seems to have cornered the market on that particluar group, I think I’m dead on by stating what I did.

5. mojjonation says:

AA stated that it is more of a support group than a huge load of grunts. So who knows what is going to happen.

6. Sounds like they may be adding some oversight in response to recent allegations of inappropriate behavior.

7. BlaineCGarver says:

Mojjo, I would like to compare crime stats on base and off….Or, Military per-capita rates compared to Tacoma…..I’ll buy the coffee if you can prove any of that.

8. akitaken01 says:

most all south sounders appreciate all JBLM soldiers and airmen I dont here people talk crap about them. When i was a teen during veitnam around ft lewis I always heard f******* GI. you just dont here that now

9. shadowdriver says:

“More traffic, more crime woo hoo!” Really? Read the article more closely please then make your comment! A couple of hundred more soldiers will not make a significant difference in the congestion we are currently seeing on I-5 near the base. Perhaps this is what is needed to help the combat brigade commanders manage their troops. The root of the problem is the constant deployments without adequate time for the returning troops to decompress and reintegrate. The army medical system is greatly overwhelmed. I know army medical personnel. I served with them, I know they care and want to help. They just cant keep up. when that happens soldiers fall thru the cracks and bad things can and do happen. I am glad to see the possibility of a division command being brought to JBLM. I believe it is sorely needed and way over due