It’s scheduled to break ground tomorrow on a $21 million vehicle maintenance shop that will bring 50 employees and a fleet of Camp Murray vehicles to the active-duty base.
The National Guard in July pledged to Lakewood that it would reduce some of the traffic heading into Camp Murray by assigning more employees to posts at Lewis-McChord. It was one of the incentives the state Military Department offered to gain Lakewood’s support for a proposal to put some distance between the interstate and Camp Murray’s main gate at the intersection of Berkeley Street and Union Avenue.
Walsh Pacific, a Chicago company with a Tacoma office, won the contract to build the 65,120 square foot facility. The National Guard’s current vehicle maintenance shop was built in 1952.