FOB Tacoma

NOTICE: FOB Tacoma has moved.

With the launch of our new website, we've moved FOB Tacoma.
Visit the new section.

Convicted “kill team” soldier sought Palin’s help in getting a new Army job

Post by Adam Ashton / The News Tribune on June 17, 2011 at 12:35 pm with 19 Comments »
June 17, 2011 12:35 pm

A Stryker soldier who pleaded guilty to murdering three Afghan civilians last year once sought help in getting a new Army assignment from a family friend – former Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin.

Spc. Jeremy Morlock grew up in Palin’s hometown of Wasilla, Alaska. Their families have been reported to be friendly with each other in the past.

An Alaska blogger scouring a trove of Palin’s emails spotted Morlock’s August 2007 plea for assistance in leaving his unit at Fort Lewis for an assignment closer to home. Morlock’s father had just died and he was eager to get home to support his mother.

“I know you have known my family for some time and I think of you all as friends and you know my mother is now taking care of all the girls by herself while trying to keep a job,” Morlock wrote. “I’m not asking for pity for my family or myself, I’m just asking if there is anything you could do to help me with my process of getting home to Alaska to help.”

Palin didn’t reply.

She can’t be linked in any way to the war crimes Morlock committed during patrols with Lewis-McChord’s 5th Brigade, 2nd Infantry Division. Still, the message represents another “what if” moment in considering the “kill team” courts-martial unfolding at the base this year.

Morlock is the prosecution’s main witness. He’s signed a plea agreement requiring him to testify against his codefendants and been sentenced to 24 years in prison. Four of his former platoon mates face murder charges linked to the three killings.

1. paling round with war criminals!

2. This should be all over national network television. Funny how Weiner’s wiener & steroids get lots of coverage, but stories that matter don’t.

3. GHTaxPayer says:

So this soldier is from Palin’s home town and tried to contact her 2 years before his crime.
    How is this a story in any way, shape or fashion ????

4. alindasue says:

“She can’t be linked in any way to the war crimes Morlock committed during patrols…”

Again, the truth behind the sensationalistic headline is hidden in the next to last paragraph. Nothing to see here folks…

5. Are you kidding me? In looking through 24,000 emails of the former governor this is what they come up with? What this article does not mention is that the murders in Afghanistan took place about 2 1/2 years after the email Morlock sent to Palin. Spc Morlock was not a war criminal in 2007. This represents a “what if” moment? “What if” this reporter had given us all the facts. Well, I guess this wouldn’t have been a story at all.

6. alindasue says:

lenz said, “Well, I guess this wouldn’t have been a story at all.”

It really wasn’t. I’m getting really tired of sensational headlines placed on non-stories that in the end finally reveal that the actual “story” was opposite what the headline implied.

7. Adam Ashton says:

Reporter here happy to provide more information on Morlock.

Morlock at his court martial in March cited this period of 2007 as the moment when he lost his way in the Army. He went back to Fort Lewis where he had a reputation as a charismatic talker who partied a lot and didn’t always tell the truth, according to former platoon mates who’ve testified at hearings I’ve attended over the past year.

Morlock’s story is that Staff Sgt. Calvin Gibbs joined his platoon in November 2009 and began discussing ways to cover up questionable killings in Afghanistan. Gibbs allegedly had a stash of “drop weapons” he could plant on suspicious incidents to suggest that the Afghans fired first. That talk reportedly led to discussions about how to stage killings.

Morlock was the first soldier in the group to escalate that talk into action. He confessed to initiating the first of three staged killings in January 2010. That’s why it’s possible to imagine the “kill team” never happening if not for Morlock’s presence even if one believes that Gibbs was the soldier who instigated the murders.

Morlock’s email to Palin is interesting because it backs up how stressed he says he was after his father died.

8. Is Obama responsible for all the people who donated to his campaign and have since been convicted of crimes?

I’m sure if there is ever a chance that one of them did commit a crime, you will certainly hold it against him.
    That much I can take to the bank.
    In fact I’m 100% sure that the likes of you have and will blame him for once being in the same room with the one guy that may or may not have planted some small bombs 40 years before standing in the same room with the future President.
    I’m not going to mention your whining about Rev. Wright, I think you get the idea.

A partisan hack pointing the finger of partinship…..too funny.

9. nwcolorist says:

Interesting history about Morlock, but it doesn’t change the fact that Palin played no part in his story.

Is this the kind of journalism – trying to associate your political enemies with unsavory characters – that we’re going to see from the TNT during the upcoming campaign?

10. CrazyJim says:

She was too busy covering her own back to help anyone else out. That’s what the story says.

11. WHAT???? You don’t like the way SP “Supports the Troops”??????

12. shughes2853 says:

why is it ok for palin to attack Obama for his associations during the campaign and after? But it’s NOT ok for people to make reasonable connections to this soldier and his family? I didn’t read anywhere that she’s being blamed for his actions. What I do hear is someone suggesting a “what if” moment. And it is relevant. She’s the one that’s always using the “troops” to underscore her “patriotism” and has done those shout outs over and over again. She ignored him. She didn’t even give him the compassion or courtesy of a reply. Why? Because she really doens’t give a crap about the troops or this troubled soul. Very telling.

13. rterry65 says:

More OPS stuff from the scared and worried anti-SP crowd. This is not news, this is not even up to the level of silly: it is disgusting.
    I think it is a call for the lefties to rise up and say anything no matter how stupid they sound hoping it will stick somewhere.. 2012 is coming folks. Let’s see how you like the change thingy next year.

14. @rterry65

Remind to quiver in my knickers when that happens……………

15. slasmith says:

I would think that the fact that Palin didn’t respond to a request that she use a position of power to influence special treatment for a family friend would be applauded.

16. ijustwannasay says:

Why does Sarah Palin keep silent about it despite the fact that her own family has been very close to the Morlocks for decades? In fact Jeremy’s sister, April Morlock, was photographed many times with her BF Bristol on the streets of L.A. during DWTS. April Morlock was also mentioned as one of Bristol’s friends in People Magazine in June 2009 and had a picture of her and Bristol together with Tripp as her profile picture on facebook.

April Morlock Sr., the twin sister of Audrey Morlock (mother of April Morlock Jr.), dated Todd from 5th to 9th grade in Dillingham.

Willow Palin belonged to a group of teenagers who in 2009 badly vandalized and trashed an empty house in Wasilla which was up for sale. This house was owned by the Morlocks.

Palin isn’t responsible for J. Morlock’s actions but I think it shows yet again how she cares for no one else much unless it benefits herself first.

BTW, why is it that if anyone says anything deemed negative about Palin, they always bring up President Obama. Palin is only a celebrity.

17. Adam Ashton’s explanation for what he thinks makes this story “interesting” is as shallow as his use of a sensational headline to introduce a non-event. There’s no story here-only a not-so subtle attempt to reflect negatively on Gov Palin. Typically biased reporting Ashton!

18. This headline is really the most misleading one I have EVER read. What has this paper come to?? I thought I was going to read a that something to do with the headline. This is a joke . This is for people that only read headlines, so they think Palin somehow was involved in war crimes and this guy. This paper has turned into a tabloid news paper…………

19. Adam Ashton says:

Forgive me. It’s been a long time since I’ve written anything about Sarah Palin and I’ve forgotten the strong reactions she brings out in people.

I can assure you I would’ve written the same blog post had Morlock sought help from Washington Gov. Chis Gregoire or any other lawmaker. Palin has the flashy name, but in this case it’s about the early signs of distress shown by a young man who went to become a convicted war criminal. In his case, it happens to be that his family crossed paths with the former Alaska governor.