Service members from Joint Base Lewis-McChord plan to attend Memorial Day ceremonies throughout the South Sound this weekend. The base is hosting its own event Monday and visitors will be able to get day passes to attend it.
Here’s a look at the ceremonies planned for the weekend:
Sunday, May 29
- Fir Lane Cemetery Memorial Day Service, 1 p.m., Spanaway
- Vaughn Cemetery Memorial Day Service, 1 p.m., Gig Harbor
- Yelm Cemetery Memorial Day Service, 1 p.m., Yelm
- Roy Cemetery Memorial Day Service, 2 p.m., Roy
Monday, May 30
- Joint Base Lewis-McChord Memorial Day Observance, 11:30 a.m.
- Dupont Memorial Day Ceremony at Ross Plaza, 9 a.m., DuPont
- Sumner Cemetery Memorial Day Service, 10 a.m., Sumner
- Bethany Cemetery Memorial Day Ceremony, 10:30 a.m., Spanaway
- Acacia Memorial Park Memorial Day Service, 11 a.m., Seattle
- Masonic Memorial Service at New Tacoma Cemetery, 11:30 a.m., University Place
- Bread of Life Mission’s Memorial Day Ceremony, 12 p.m., Seattle
- Puyallup Veterans of Foreign Wars Post 2224 Memorial Day Observance, 1 p.m., Puyallup
- Mountain View Cemetery Memorial Day Ceremony, 2 p.m., Lakewood
- Washington Soldiers Home Memorial Day Service, 2 p.m., Orting
Lt. Gen. Curtis “Mike” Scaparrotti, Lewis-McChord’s senior Army officer, is scheduled to lead the service at the base.
The I Corps Band is to perform. Soldiers from 2nd Brigade, 2nd Infantry Division will fire a 21-gun salute to honor fallen comrades, followed by the playing of Taps.
People who want to attend the Lewis-McChord ceremony must obtain a pass from the base’s visitor center at exit 120 on Interstate 5.