FOB Tacoma

NOTICE: FOB Tacoma has moved.

With the launch of our new website, we've moved FOB Tacoma.
Visit the new section.

Federal Way soldier dies in Iraq

Post by Scott Fontaine on March 15, 2010 at 2:58 pm with 10 Comments »
March 15, 2010 4:42 pm

A soldier from Federal Way has been killed in Iraq, though few details about her death have been released.

The body of Spc. Erin L. McLyman arrived at Dover Air Force Base, Del., aboard a military aircraft early Monday morning. The identification of McLyman was released by the Air Force Mortuary Affairs Operations Center at Dover Air Force Base, Del.

The Pentagon has yet to release more details about McLyman. Such a release, which often trails the initial notification from Dover by up to a day, includes age, unit, service history and more details about the fatal incident.

1. PolarBear53 says:

Thank you for your Service and sacrifice Spc. Erin L. McLyman.

2. duckfan4ever says:

How could this horrendous military debacle possibly be worth the life of this young woman from Federal Way. This utterly senseless war is draining our treasury and killing our soldiers and Marines. We elected President Obama to provide us “change,” from the defective and even immoral policies of the Bush administration, but so far our fine young military members continue to be slaughtered in this ridiculous excuse for a war. Before more are killed for nothing, we need to get out of Iraq now, and let the Iraqi’s get on with determining their own future and running their own country.

3. duckfan4ever says:

Iraquis, I meant to say. (Plural and not possessive.) And I agree with the spirit and intent of PolarBear53 when her or she thanks the late Spc. Erin L. McLyman for her service and her sacrifice. Although I am not comfortable trying to speak or write or send messages to dead people, I realize lots of people are OK with that because their religion teaches them that communicating with the dead is possible. I recognize that PolarBear53’s heart is in the right place, so I thank him or her for the comment.

4. Duckfan4ever,

I don’t believe the average American understands the cost of this war in terms of human pain and suffering. As a proud member of the Patriot Guard I have now attended over 25 funerals of soldiers killed in combat. I would like to invite the rest of the American public to start attending these funerals and see what members of the PGR witness on a regular basis.

5. shane100700 says:

This is not the proper venue for your political beliefs. This is extremely disrespectful to the Soldier and their families. I have spent the last 14yr in the military and believe me when I tell you we don’t do it for any political reason or belief. We do it to ensure America is the county it always has been. We do it for the Soldier next to us. My heart goes out to the family and I am honored by the sacrifice made by this brave Soldier and how she chose to live her life.

6. Daisydog says:

Deep breath, exhale, aaaaahhhhhhhh. The nice thing about these blogs is that everyone can vent, pound their chests, express their opinion, agree, disagree, and agree to disagree. A lot of us obviously have very strong opinions, and beliefs. Some of those opinions are based on experience, some based on web searches. All I know is another soldier may be gone, but that flag over their casket remains……and I believe in them (The soldier and their mission, and the Flag) even stronger than before.

7. bobbysangelwife says:

Shane’s correct.
    Perhaps YOU voted to that man, I sure as heck didn’t…saw thru his facade long ago. Welcome to ‘change’…

Anyhoo….details are unclear as to what happened to this young gal. It’s all over the internet and news outlets, but everyone is running the same lines…
    God bless her and her family, may they all be restful, comforted, and blessed.

8. johnsblt says:

Erin I wish you would have stayed at long horn you were my favorite waitress you will be missed

9. Erin Leigh was one of my close friends I have known her and her family for 12years. Erin Leigh was more than beautiful, she was curageous!! Its not about feeling that this war is right or wrong all the time, thats always up for debate. It is however about backing our troops!! Some of them dont get to decide if they are over there right now or not. I backed Erin as a person….as her and so many over there did and are doing what the rest of us can not. It takes a special type of person to do what our troops do, and Erin Leigh was one of those exceptionaly special people. I grew up with this beautiful young girl. I spent the night with her a little over 3weeks ago the night she deployed. Erin was a proud soldier, she fought not for the wa,r but for us for the people. I have spent the last few days with her family, they are in shock over the loss of their daughter, sister, cousin. They are sad, hurt, angry, all the natural emotions you have when you loose someone close, but most of all they are proud!! Proud that Erin loved what she did, proud that Erin stood for what she beleived in, Proud that Erin died happy. She is going to be more than missed! What she would want from us all is to continuing backing the troops that are still over there. They were her other form of family and friends. I missand love you Fiery Red Head!! Thanks for your all you’ve done….I’ll meet you up there one day lady….keep my spot warm :p

10. bobbysangelwife says:

you’re an amazing testament to this young lady, thank you for that.
    I can’t imagine what you, her family, and other friends are going through….I do know that it’s a long road ahead for healing, comfort, and peace.