Mariners Insider

Mariners sign Baker, trade Peguero

Post by Bob Dutton / The News Tribune on Jan. 29, 2014 at 11:04 am with 18 Comments »
January 29, 2014 11:04 am

So…is right-hander Scott Baker the veteran starting pitcher the Mariners have been seeking to slot in the middle of their rotation?

The Mariners reached agreement Wednesday with Baker, 32, on a minor-league deal that pays him $1 million if he makes the big-league roster. Performance bonuses could add another $3.25 million.

The deal was first reported by Chris Cotillo of MLB Daily Dish.

The Mariners also traded outfielder Carlos Peguero to Kansas City for a player to be named later or cash considerations. Peguero, 24, was designated for assignment Jan. 16 to clear roster space when the club signed catcher John Buck.

Baker was 63-48 with a 4.14 ERA in 166 games for Minnesota from 2005-11 before missing the 2012 season after undergoing Tommy John surgery to repair a torn elbow ligament. He  spent last season in the Chicago Cubs’ organization, where he made 11 starts — including three in the big leagues.

The Mariners targeted a veteran starting pitcher this offseason to fill the No. 3 slot in their rotation behind Felix Hernandez and Hisashi Iwakuma. Rookies Taijuan Walker, James Paxton and others are expected to compete for the final two rotation spots.

Peguero spent most of last season at Class AAA Tacoma, where he batted .260 with 19 homers and 83 RBIs in 118 games. He appeared in 65 big-league games (batting .195 with nine homers and 27 RBIs) from 2011-13.

1. wabubba67 says:

Has anyone seen or heard from Quinault lately? Hope that he’s OK now that the Mariners have traded his starting DH for only a player to be named later OR cash.

2. Hahahaha I’m dying

3. Not sure he still thought that Peguero was going to be the DH after they signed Hart and LoMo. This certainly puts an end to that debate though.

I’m still really interested in what happens with Montero this year. Especially if they go ahead ans sign Cruz. Maybe they can flip him for some value if he tears it up hitting in AAA and shows that he can be more than a total embarrassment at 1st?

4. wabubba67 says:

tiny bbs,

Surprised you are still here! Usually a profanity laced tirade gets you banned from most newspaper blogs. In your case, even the post wasn’t removed. Glad to know that no one is minding the store at The News Tribune.

5. Palerydr says:

Although I can’t prove this Cuz I don’t always read everything you post or for that matter keep a record of your posts, it is my opinion that the vast majority of your posts Wabbuba are negative. This negativity is directed at other posters, The M’s and the Tribunes web site. Tell me something if you dislike so much of the stuff going on here why do you post here?

6. Quinault says:

Our story so far: The season came and went. 71-91 a major disappointment of the all in 1-year deal – who most did not last the entire year. Wedge fulfills his contract and drives off, leaving some verbal shots in his wake.

We head into the off-season and come the Christmas shopping season we obtain Willie Bloomquist. It looks like we will get coal for Christmas again this year. I start speculating on what sort of team will we have in 2014 if we continue to dumpster dive. The best I could come up with was promote rookies (like we did last year)and try to create success at a position, any position. What I thought the team would do would be to platoon Carlos Peguero and Jesus Montero at DH due to their splits. From starting catcher, to injured, to suspended for the Biogenesis scandal, to part time DH is quite a fall for Montero – the key within the Pineda trade to NYY. As of this writing I do not know what the plans are for 2014 for him. Carlos on the other hand was out of options and we needed a catcher, so in come John Buck and off to KC Carlos goes.

Granted we have 5 catchers in camp and there is that tawdry bit about some shopping that his wife did, but we stockpiled DH/1B types and you really do not want Peggy out in the field on a regular basis, so he was gone. I wore his jersey to Fan Fest, so I am saddened.

But I would rather watch Peggy strike out than to see Nelson Cruz leave runners on base with a ground out, at 100 times the cost. Because Peggy has the capability to hit one over the batters-eye in dead center field. Who knows maybe he is a reverse Bye-Bye Balboni going to KC. Anyway I wish him well.

Spring training starts in 2 weeks (?) and I do not think we have enough pitching or a starting outfield that works. If we get 50 games from Guti, then I would say that signing is almost worthwhile. I just know that we will not be seeing moonshots anytime soon.

7. Palerydr, it’s rather simple. He’s a complete loser that has to project his pathology and crappy life on everything he comes into contact with. I’ve admitted to being wrong on this website. I have yet to every see him do that once. Probably doesn’t in real life either.

wabubba, did my “profanity” offend you, grandpa? My “profanity” is much less annoying and polluting than the constant literary diarrhea that drips from your finger tips. Get a life. You’d have let your beef go long ago if you didn’t know deep down that what I said about you is true.

8. Quinault says:

My mistake was penciling in a line up based on the roster, as I felt that the off-season moves would be a minor trade, some reclamation projects and we would not spend any money. Boy was I wrong. Or was I? Instead of 10 1-year deals as we saw in 2013, we get a single 10-year deal in 2014. And a minor trade for LoMo, a bunch of invitations to camp by people who have undergone Tommy John surgery. Oh, and Endy Chavez and Guti – with Hart whom GMZ had in Milwaukee.

Now we are all waiting to see how Walker performs in camp then we have to fill 2 starting pitcher spots, instead of 3.

Oddly enough, I am optimistic as we have a new skipper and Team President. Chuck Armstrong has left the building.

9. wabubba67 says:

Proving my point once again, tiny bbs.

10. wabubba67 says:

Tiny bbs,

I’m not offended by you in the least. Actually, your rants amuse me much in the same manner as an angry middle school student who uses profanity because their intellect is not yet fully developed. Psychologically, I find you to be interesting. Personally, I find you to be inconsequential.

I am just surprised that you are allowed to be here after posting the following on this blog in the not too distant past…

“wabubba, there’s really nothing more pathetic than someone who’s dumb as dog shit trying to act like they’re intelligent. First of all, the sun doesn’t rise or fall. The Earth rotates, you retard. Secondly, I wasn’t arguing that he wasn’t linked to the clinic, though that’s not really absolute proof. The point you missed since you cannot understand fairly simple concepts, have the IQ of a garden gnome, and are just looking for a fight due to your inability to handle the ass whoopin I handed you, is that anabolic steroids, HGH, and/or other substances classified as PEDs are not synonymous.
    So there is no HGH/synthetic testosterone, you dumb ass. They are NOT the same thing. HGH and anabolic steroids are NOT synonymous. There isn’t even any scientifically significant evidence that HGH is a PED. Do you have any medical background? No. Do you know what the fuck you’re talking about? No. Do you have your head crammed up your asshole as usual? Yes. You’re obviously not even intelligent enough to grade the finger paintings of your mentally defective students. Walk out into the desert and suck on a cactus”

Read more here: http://blog.thenewstribune.com/mariners/2013/11/07/a-stern-but-humble-lloyd-mcclendon-introduced/#more-28539#storylink=cpy

11. Bubba, yep, stand by every word of it.

My still being here is no more surprising than you being here. You consistently insult the paper and people that run the blog. Real classy.

You’re plainly an idiot. I’m sure you don’t get the irony in yourself, someone unable to read and comprehend even simple concepts, questioning my intellect. You’re not fooling me either. If I was inconsequential to you then you wouldn’t need to continually insult me out of the blue months after the first dust up. You’re a sad, little man, and I live rent free in your dilapidated mind.

12. wabubba67 says:

Nobody was running the blog under LaRue…that’s why he is no longer here.

Liked Divish (he should have been promoted to the Mariners beat by the TNT long before it happened) and still follow him at the Seattle Times. Big mistake by the TNT to not pay him enough to stay.

Not insulting you, tiny bbs, just find your venom towards me to be psychologically curious. Kind of wish that I had studied more in my intro psych classes at UPS years ago, rather than just stare at coeds.

You sticking by profanity at a place where it is way over the line, is all anybody needs to know about you.

“Profanity is a weak mind trying to assert itself forcefully.”

13. wabubba67 says:

P.S. Please come up with a new line. I am assuming that “rent free” is the only type of rent that you might be able to afford. (Yes, that was an insult….sorry.)

14. You’re a joke. You’re not insulting me? You start every post with “tiny bbs”. Still months later. In fact, it seems that 90+ % of your posts are only to insult me or someone else on here. You’re not fooling anyone. You’re not smart enough to. You’re not slick. You’re not cunning. You’re just a transparent, functionally retarded, pathetic joke on this site and in real life I’m fairly sure. Cheers.

15. wabubba67 says:

Not trying to be anything other than transparent, tiny bbs. You mad, bro? Hahahaha

16. Nope, not mad, bro. I find you amusing really. Ultimately, you’re insignificant to me.

17. wabubba67 says:

Since no one seems to care about profanity on this site….you’re my bitch, tiny bbs.