Mariners Insider

Franklin Gutierrez taking new medication, ‘feeling good’ as he re-signs with Mariners

Post by Christian Caple on Dec. 18, 2013 at 4:28 pm with 20 Comments »
December 18, 2013 4:28 pm

The Mariners made official the re-signing of center fielder Franklin Gutierrez on Wednesday. He signed a 1-year, $1 million deal with the possibility of $2 million in performance incentives, as first reported by ESPN Deportes.

A corresponding 40-man roster move will be announced later.

Gutierrez met with reporters in the Mariners clubhouse a little while ago. Here are a few notes …

— Gutierrez said he’s taking new medication to help treat his Ankylosing Spondylitis, which was the diagnosis for the joint pain he’d been experiencing for some time. More on that here.

“When I say I’m feeling good, it’s because, well, everybody knows what I have right now. It was very important for me to find out what I had, so now I have to try to manage this. I’m under a medication that is working very well. I’m feeling more normal right now. And you know, just feeling good. Just trying to work on my batting, trying to be ready for spring training and be ready for any situation, whatever the manager needs me in the game.”

— Other teams showed interest, Gutierrez said, but he “didn’t think twice” after the Mariners made a formal offer during the winter meetings.

— Gutierrez said he doesn’t care which outfield position he plays, and seems willing to play whatever role new manager Lloyd McLendon sees fit.

Can he play every day? Not at this point, he said. But he’s been working out in a manner that he described as “normal.”

“I think it’s more about proving to myself that I can be the same player I was before. Probably, the thing that I have right now, it’s not like I can play every day right now, but I feel like I can help my team any way right now. The past season, they used me the last month playing 3 or 4 days a week, and it works that way. So obviously I need to talk to the manager. I need to know how he wants to use me. My mind is open to play anywhere in the outfield. I just want to try to help my team do a better season this year.”

— After Gutierrez noted that he felt returning to Seattle was like coming back to “family,” it was brought to his attention that a good bit has changed, in terms of personnel, since the end of the season.

“There’s a lot of different reasons why it feels like a family here,” he said. “Obviously we have a lot of talent here, a lot of young players that are getting mature. It feels like this year’s going to be different. I feel in my heart that we’re going to do better than the past seasons.”

— He originally planned to play winter ball in Venezuela this year, but decided instead to focus on working out in preparation for spring training.

1. Quinault says:

Guti – when healthy – is one of the best in the game. I hope that he can earn some of his performance incentives, because that means that he is healthy! If anything this provides depth in the now crowded outfield.

But the question remains – will there be a player traded this off season to address multiple needs? I mean besides Capps for LoMo? I don’t totally want to write off Ackley at this point, but his trade value may be highest right now!

And I am going to assume that if Tanaka is posted, that we will submit the max amount [$20 m] to try to obtain him for 2014. I really do not want to wait until he hits the free agent market in 2015, as we have Kuma in place now to help him transition. Maybe we should rehire Shiggy to have a word with him about Seattle.

2. He wont play 81 games!!

3. Skysport says:

I think McClendon is going to use Guti the right way given his condition which will be a big help.

4. Quinault says:

So is Jesus Montero or Jesus Sucre our back up catcher – given that Mike Zunino is our starter? Is our best base stealer Willy who should be on the bench? I do not have a clear picture of our outfield. What is our line up?

Ackley
    Guti
    Cano
    Hart
    Smoak
    Seager
    LoMo
    Zunino
    Miller

Even close?

5. Quinault says:

Or is Miller the lead off hitter and Ackley 9? Or should I pencil in Saunders instead of Guti? Or is it too much to think that Hart (DH) and LoMo (RF)would be in the game at the same time?

Is there any space for Almonte?

6. We have to see who wins the SS job between Franklin and Miller first. I’d give the edge to Miller. Not sold that Franklin can carry his weight defensively at SS yet.

There is space for Almonte as it currently stands. They’re currently still very thin in the OF IMO. I am a bit wary of Nelson Cruz, but I think they need to sign him if they can get him for 3 years and 45 mil like Beltran or even 4 years and 60 mil. He has consistently hit LH pitchers in his career. His splits are fairly even against RH and LH pitchers in 2010 and 2013. He was significantly better against LH pitchers in 2011-2012. He splits are significantly better at home until last season. He was pretty even at home and away in 2013. Was that a mirage? Signing Grady Sizemore to a min deal is intriguing if they don’t sign anyone else for the OF.

Signing Kendrys Morales for a reduced price has its pluses, but you can really only do that if you can count on Hart playing a lot in the OF. Kendrys has hit here and he is a switch hitter. It also depends on whether or not they trade Smoak or LoMo as well.

The M’s still have some significant work to do. Number 1 might be signing a #3 starter. The pitching was bad last year. I really hope they go after Matt Garza. Definitely a solid #3 IMO. Some bullpen help wouldn’t hurt either. Going back to setting upo could be very good for Wilhelmsen.

7. BTW, they said on the MLB Network the other day that the M’s are getting 115 mil a year from their new TV deal. They have absolutely NO EXCUSE for spending significantly less than that every year on payroll.

8. Quinault says:

Franklin has surprising power, but seems to have several mental lapses in the field, so I would pencil in Miller. I forget if Willy played 3B in AZ, so he might be the preferred back up to Kyle. Montero is being groomed for 1B / DH but isn’t there yet, so back up catching for him is an option.

As mentioned, the outfield is a mess with Guti as a back up / part timer, Saunders a true 4, Ackley displaced from 2B, LoMo (?), Hart (?), Almonte a rookie +, the discussion about Nelson Cruz (!) and of course my guy – Carlos Peguero. I am wondering if GMZ has another trade up his sleeve for an outfielder. As was mentioned we have money in TV revenue (local & national), so we could be a willing trading partner to take on some payroll.

Just say no to Grady Sizemore – even for sentimental reasons. I know, local kid, but he is done. He had a wonderful career, if he came here it would be an echo of his former self, not unlike Jason Bay (whom NYM paid the freight).

I hope Guti can get into the game more than twice a week, he is a superior defender and a right hand bat – who can bunt! We are short on those characteristics.

9. I only mentioned Grady as a min sign. If he doesn’t show well in ST then you cut him. And that’s assuming they don’t get another significant OF. You can’t count on Grady, but it would be worth the miniscule risk IMO.

I really think that Ackley and Saunders will be at least decent in the OF. This team really needs Montero to tear the cover off the ball to be good.

10. Quinault says:

We will have at least a decent defensive outfield. But will we have a plus starting pitching rotation? I mean, we have had extended auditions by Beavan, Noesi, Ramirez, and a cup of coffee by Walker and other pitchers were shut down late. So we have an interesting spring training and the rest of the off season to look forward to. You cannot ask for a better Christmas present than that – since we got Cano already. And we brought in some offensive firepower in Hart & LoMo.

11. What they brought in doesn’t amount to shit unless a lot of young players step up.

12. Did Bob fall into a well?

13. oldtallguy says:

He definitely doesn’t blog. Probably to damn lazy

14. Too? Maybe?

15. oldtallguy says:

The blog definitely isn’t a priority for Dutton or the Trib. Would be nice to have an update On whats going on with it. Did Dutton quit?

16. SharkHawk says:

Welcome Frank Hughes Part Deux.

17. 23 days and counting.

18. SharkHawk says:

I think I’m giving Frank too much grief. At least he stopped in to delete all of my posts (even though he was too lazy to write anything new and when he did… he lied about layoffs that never took place to cover for his lack of work).

19. wabubba67 says:

Frank, Larry, and Bob.

A basketball guy doing the NFL, and two journalism dinosaurs. Good hires, News Tribune. Whoever is in charge may be the right person to eventually replace Armstrong with the Mariners.

20. oldtallguy says:

And they tried to charge for the blog. What a joke.