Mariners Insider

Red Sox 8, Mariners 2: A sloppy start to tough road trip

Post by Ryan Divish on July 30, 2013 at 8:38 pm with 23 Comments »
July 30, 2013 8:38 pm

It started off poorly and got no better.

The Mariners hope their sloppy 8-2 loss to the Boston Red Sox on Tuesday night at FenwayPark won’t be harbinger of what’s to come on this East Coast road trip.

This isn’t the Astros or the Twins that the Mariners will be facing. They have two more games with the Red Sox (64-44) followed by three with the Orioles (59-48). Both teams have legitimate playoff aspirations, while Seattle (50-56) is still in a constant fight to get to .500.

In this first game against Boston, one team looked like a postseason participant and it sure wasn’t the Mariners. If there is an expectation of success over the next five games, they will need to play better in every aspect. The Mariners weren’t particularly sharp in any on Tuesday.

Seattle’s best moment came in the first inning when Nick Franklin doubled to left field off of Boston starter Brandon Workman and later scored on Kendrys Morales’ single to center. It gave the Mariners a very short-lived 1-0 lead.

From there, things went downhill quickly.

Seattle was sloppy early on behind starter Joe Saunders. Shane Victorino delivered a one out double and then Dustin Pedroia reached on a Brad Miller error on a routine ground ball to shortstop.

Victorino scored from third on a passed ball from Henry Blanco and then David Ortiz singled home Pedroia.

“We didn’t play real clean there early on,” acting manager Robby Thompson said. “Sometimes that happens.”

Miller, who also made a bad decision trying to bare-hand a ground ball from the slow-running Jarrod Saltalamacchia, owned up to the mistakes, which can’t be made in the big leagues.

“It is another level,” Miller said. “It’s the same things and you have to be better at executing them. If you don’t, it will be exposed for sure.”

Things fell apart for Saunders in the second.

He gave up a one-out solo homer to Jacoby Ellsbury and later a two-run homer to Pedroia that made it 5-1.

“I was throwing good pitches,” Saunders said. “I wasn’t getting much help.”

When asked if he was talking about home plate umpire Chris Conroy or his defense, Saunders shrugged it off.

“It was just in general,” he said. “I don’t really want to talk about either because I will get myself in trouble. It was just a tough night for us. We didn’t get the breaks. And they got some breaks. It was just one of those nights.”

Saunders’ growing pitch count already had him in trouble.

He worked a clean third inning, but then gave up another double to Victorino and an RBI single to Pedroia to make it 6-1. He worked another inning, but was done at 99 pitches, having given up six runs (five earned) on nine hits with a walk and five strikeouts. It was the seventh time this season he’s allowed six or more runs.

There was some thought he might have some value on the trade market. With the non-waiver trade deadline looming on Wednesday at 1 p.m., Saunders’ perceived value may have diminished in the last few weeks. Over his last three starts, Saunders has pitched 15 innings, giving up 15 runs (13 earned) for a 7.80 earned run average with 27 hits allowed.

Did it affect him?

“I don’t think so,” he said. “You just go out there and pitch. It’s out of your hands. If you can’t control it, why would you worry about it? I’d like to stay here. I love playing here. I think we have a good thing going with these guys.”

The Mariners had a chance to make it a game in the sixth. They loaded the bases against Workman with one out on three straight singles from Kyle Seager, Kendrys Morales and Raul Ibanez. However, Workman came back to strike out Michael Morse for the third time in the night and then struck out Justin Smoak.

“A lot could have happened in that inning, but it didn’t happen,” Thompson said.

Brandon Maurer replaced Saunders in the sixth and looked sharp early in his debut as reliever. Maurer retired the side in order in the sixth and seventh inning. In the eighth, he left a fastball up to Saltalamacchia, who hammered it into right-center for a two-run homer. He still worked three innings, giving up the two runs on two hits with a strikeout and no walks.

“I thought that was big for Maurer, his first time coming out of the pen here in Boston of all places,” Thompson said. “I thought he threw the ball very well. He really helped us out.”

Seattle’s other run came in the ninth. Smoak singled and later scored Blanco’s single off the Green Monster.

“We had our backs up against the wall early on,” Thompson said. “And we were never able to make a run at it.”

Uncategorized
  1. Quinault says:

We had Morse at the plate with the bases loaded. You cannot ask for much more than that.

Let’s see how the team bounces back behind the King & Kuma. We have to score them some runs.

2. wabubba67 says:

Joe Saunders turning into Floyd Bannister regarding the defense behind him?? Would have been in his best interest, even if a lie, to indicate that his problems resided with getting on the same page with the umpire behind the plate. To criticize a young SS….this team needs more from a veteran pitcher that routinely changes uniforms (and will again soon if he can’t keep his yapper shut).

3. westside_guy says:

Isn’t the mantra we keep hearing regarding the value of having veterans on the team that they’ve been through it all before, know how to shake it off when something doesn’t go their way, etc.? Joe Saunders isn’t sounding very veteran-like, in that case, if an error behind him or a couple calls by the ump caused him to lose his ability to pitch.

But setting snark aside… Saunders has historically been a slightly worse than league average pitcher, and mediocre pitchers occasionally get lit up when they face a good team. It’s not the first time he’s gotten bombed, and it won’t be the last.

4. Palerydr says:

Joe Saunders is who we thought he was a journyman who will throw in the occasional well pitched game with a heavy dose of poor ones. Making a vague statement about needing some help reads to me he’s throwing his defense and offense under the bus. That’s not the first time I’ve heard him say something similar. To me that’s a punk move. I didn’t really care one way or the other about Saunders before so if they get a team that’s interested then cya. I’d trust Jack Z to get at least a decent A ball prospect for him.

5. bbnate420 says:

What did people expect Saunders to be? He has an average ERA, but not everyone can do that while pitching a lot of innings. He was brought here to replace Vargas, and I’d expect him to have an ERA close to 4.00 at the end of the year. That’s basically what you got from Vargas.

I thought he was trying to criticize the umpires vaguely so he wouldn’t get fined rather than his teammates. I don’t know what he meant for sure. Neither does anyone else here. I wouldn’t mind moving him if they get a decent deal.

6. wabubba67 says:

“I don’t really want to talk about either because I will just get myself in trouble.”

Pretty straight forward….Sounds like they were both (defense and umpire) bothering him.

Wondering if Saunders would speak his mind if Wedge was managing the team in Boston and not a rookie manager (Thompson)?? When the cat’s away….

7. bbnate420 says:

So what if the defense bothered him? Why wouldn’t it? He didn’t call them out.

8. wabubba67 says:

Ever the contrarian, bbnate420. Of course the defense bothered him (judging by Saunders’ own quotes). Implying that to a reporter after the game, IS essentially calling them out in a public way. If he wasn’t thinking about Miller (two errors) and Blanco (one), who was he thinking about?

I’m looking out for IEDs around here, bbnate. (That was classless on your part over on the Seahawks blog.)

9. bbnate420 says:

wabubba67, he said he didn’t want to talk about it. He didn’t personally call anyone out. That’s not calling someone out IMO. It’s not about being a contrarian. I agree with you plenty. It’s not that interesting to just repeat the same thing. I think maybe you don’t like having your opinions challenged. I’m not a kid in your class.

As far as classless, that’s awful funny coming from you. A person who would continually come on here and talk spit about Larry LaRue when it was his blog. Maybe you should worry less about me and more about keeping your side of the street clean. Did you even bother to read the entire argument that led to that? He brought it over from a previous thread. You might want to keep quiet if you don’t even know the whole story.

10. bbnate420 says:

BTW, did the defense let Iwakuma down tonight? I would give Franklin a pass though as Ellsbury ran in front of the ball and it possibly grazed him.

11. wabubba67 says:

If Saunders really didn’t want to talk about it, then he shouldn’t have brought up by saying, “I was throwing good pitches. I wasn’t getting much help.” That statement begs a follow up question from a decent reporter.

As for LaRue, by all accounts he is a good guy who used to be a great beat reporter until he was unable (unwilling) to adapt to technology and appeared uninterested in informing fans about the Mariners. There is no reason why loyal readers should have had to suffer due to that inability to change. I certainly never wished him physical harm (as you recently did to another reader who had served in the military).

Classless…nothing leading up to that excuses YOUR behavior.

12. bbnate420 says:

That could easily just reference the umpires. Then he thought better of saying anything further.

You could’ve written to the powers that be at the TNT instead of mercilessly taunting LaRue ad nauseum. I was hardly the only one that noticed. That’s YOUR behavior. What LaRue did is irrelevant, right? Or does that standard not apply to yourself, you hypocrite. I didn’t literally wish him physical harm. Since you’re supposedly a teacher I’d think that you’d know that not everything said is meant literally. What does it matter anyways? Do you think it will happen just because I say it? Do you also avoid stepping on cracks so you don’t break your mother’s back? And we don’t really know that he is or was in the military. Regardless, if you don’t like what I said I’ll send you a quarter so you can call someone that gives a spit.

13. wabubba67 says:

This has become a tedious and circular conversation, bbnate. Again, look at both quotes by Saunders and it is pretty clear what he was implying. “I don’t want to talk about either…” means that both were bothering him and that mentioning either in greater detail would “get (him) in trouble.” Not the example that an organization would prefer a veteran major league pitcher to set for younger players.

Emails were written to the “powers that be” at the TNT and were met with either minimal response, no response, or an ambivalent response. I have no problem admitting to my behavior without any excuses or apologies.

You actually did “literally” wish him physical harm. It matters because what you wrote was tasteless and offensive to the vast majority of most decent Americans who are supportive of US military personnel (if not the unfounded and unjust wars that some politicians force them to fight in our name).

Until proven otherwise, I take people at their word and believe that they are who they say they are. When in doubt you should probably do the same.

If you don’t like being treated like a wayward 8th grader in one of my US History classes, perhaps you should not act like an insolent middle school student.

No need to send me a quarter….pay phones are extinct and you likely need it to make the rent on this day (July 31st).

‘Nuf sed.

14. I was there. Saunders was talking about both. Root Sports didn’t show it. But he was pouting at the Miller errors and tossed his hands up in disgust and also pouted when Blanco missed the ball.

He was unhappy with the umpire and with the defense.

15. bbnate420 says:

wabubba67, I seriously hope you aren’t a teacher as you seem to be about as intelligent as an 8th grader that has been held back 3 or 4 times at best. I NEVER said that he definitely wasn’t referring to both. I said that he said he didn’t want to DISCUSS either, as in he didn’t specifically throw anyone under the bus. You are free to think that was still out of line. I don’t. Thus is life.

Well, if you think everything that is said is meant literally then you are even more retarded than I thought. Seems like you might’ve learned that in college. Although you probably just have to avoid smashing yourself in the head with a hammer to become a teacher in Arizona. I said, “Do the world a favor.” I didn’t say I literally hope you die.

And it has nothing to do with being supportive of military personnel. You don’t know spit about me. You’re awfully narcissistic and self-absorbed if you believe that most “decent” Americans, whatever that means, agree with you simply because you believe it. Anyone with even a hint of intelligence could see that I was insulting him, not everyone in the military. If I say that Riley Cooper is a dumb ass does that mean I’m disparaging all football players? That’s just retarded but not surprising coming from you.

He didn’t deserve any respect at the time because he attacked me with with no cause. He’s been doing it continuously to other people for more than a week. He tells people to shut their “dong holsters” if he doesn’t like what they have to say. I got sick of it. It has nothing to do with people in the military. It has to with him. If you think everyone in the military deserves respect regardless of what they do, then I just don’t agree.

I have gone over the line with people on here as have many others. I come back and apologize if I think I’m wrong as have many others. He has yet to ever apologize for anything. So he doesn’t deserve any respect in my book. You don’t have to agree. I don’t care. You’re insignificant to me anyways.

16. wabubba67 says:

You’ve got issues.

17. bbnate420 says:

BTW, I don’t need any excuses or to apologize for what I said to him. I have REASONS why I said it. I only apologized to the blog for not simply ignoring him because it became a distraction. It may have been a good thing though. He hasn’t shown his face since. If distracting the blog for a thread or 2 rids it of someone that CONSTANTLY insults people on the blog and contributes little else then it was worth it. I will not apologize for what I said.

18. bbnate420 says:

Yeah, everyone does. Your issues seem to encompass being a projecting, pretentious, egotistical imbecile.

19. wabubba67 says:

I have friends that are also excellent psychologists in the Tacoma area. Would you like their numbers?

20. bbnate420 says:

I have friends that are excellent special ed. teachers. Would you like their numbers?

21. wabubba67 says:

It’s not a weakness to ask for help, nate. Don’t be afraid.

22. Hawkjitsu says:

Don’t worry wabubba67. This bbnate420 idiot goes to every blog imaginable and picks fights with anyone he can. I’ve seen it NUMEROUS times in the Seahawks’ Insider Blog. He believes he is smarter than anyone about everything. Don’t waste your time on pathetic people like that. They just want someone to love them. And if you google bbnate420, you’ll see the HUNDREDS of posts on DOZENS of different sites that are always him attacking someone else and claiming to be smarter.

23. bbnate420 says:

What are you babbling about, you pathetic troll? Crawl back into your hole. I generally don’t pick fights. If you could read basic English then you’d see that I didn’t start anything here. wabubba67 brought up something from an unrelated blog. I just defended myself.

I’ve never said that I’m smarter than everyone about everything, but I’m clearly smarter than you. Excuse me, you’re either just plain RETARDED or a liar. If you google bbnate420, all of the comments are from the TNT M’s or Hawks’ blogs. Not “DOZENS”, you idiot. And the vast majority aren’t fighting with anyone. Leave the amateur psychological analysis to someone with a brain. That’s obviously not you.