Mariners Insider

Mariners midseason report

Post by Todd Dybas / The News Tribune on July 17, 2013 at 1:15 pm with 10 Comments »
July 17, 2013 1:16 pm

Lots of good nuggets in here. A couple other quick notes before the report:

As you’ll see in there, the Mariners are set up to throw Joe Saunders, Hisashi Iwakuma and Felix Hernandez to open the second half in Houston.

Also, Erasmo Ramirez, not surprisingly, dominated in his start for Single-A Everett on Wednesday. He threw 5 1/3, allowed six hits, one earned run, walked one and struck out 10. He’ll be back with the big club after the break.

1. Quinault says:

I had forgotten that Carlos Peguero was up with the big club and was 2 for 6 with a HR! I am telling you, I have him penciled in as the DH next year!

2. wabubba67 says:

Ahead of Morse, Morales, or Montero?? I like Peguero, but I doubt it.

3. bbnate420 says:

I hope you’re being sarcastic, Quin. Peguero still swings and misses at nearly everything like he always has. He’s shown no real ability to adjust.

4. Quinault says:

Morse may not resign as he is hurt and a Boras client. Morales will be given a qualifying offer and sign elsewhere, getting us a draft pick. Montero may not survive the Biogenesis scandal in the making. Bay has been a feel good story but has not hit consistently. Raul could transition into the position, IF we resign him as a 42 year old. Seriously, I have Peggy penciled in. You certainly do not want him playing the field.

We have a pretty solid infield. It is the patchwork outfield that needs work. Guti is gone. Michael Saunders is a free agent after the season. Ackley is being given a new lease on life out there. I see our DH as an outfielder who gives others a day off every now and then. I really miss Greg Halman.

I seem to remember Jack Cust: walks, strikeouts, homeruns. That is almost Peggy at a league minimum price tag. That is what the front office wants – affordable players. Like I said – in pencil.

5. wabubba67 says:

Jack Cust was DFAed before the All-Star break when he wore a Mariner uniform. Peguero has a lot to prove at the AAA level and spring training before consistently seeing the light of day at the major league level.

My guess is that they will re-sign either Morse or Morales and perhaps bring back Ibanez as a 4th OF/part time DH.

6. bbnate420 says:

Michael Saunders is NOT a free agent. He is arbitration eligible.

I wouldn’t count on Morales signing elsewhere. The qualifying offer hurts his value significantly on the free agent market. Look at Bourn and LaRoche from last year. I think the M’s have a good shot to sign him. Obviously that doesn’t mean he will. I think it depends on if he wants to get paid or be on a winner.

7. brewerkev says:

Sign Morales and Ibanez (if he wants, let him retire a mariner), Morse can walk, trade Smoak.

With or without Peguero, you have a 1B/DH platoon, and Raul is still a decent OF once a week.

8. Quinault says:

These are the plans in play as the front office decides GMZ’s fate. Keep what we have, promote from within, or shop around. We have not shown any indication that we are willing to spend the money, that is why I believe that we are on the least cost path of promotion.

Peguero is a minor league All Star. GMZ has been touting the minor league system. Instead of Bourn we have Franklin and Miller at the top of the order (whenever Jason Bay isn’t leading off!).

Regardless players will be up in September for a look see.

9. bbnate420 says:

Why would you trade Smoak once he’s actually producing? I bet you’d be the first one here whining if he hit with another team?

10. Quinault says:

Sentimentally speaking, it is good to see Bonderman return to Detroit. I hope that he gets into a game.