Mariners Insider

Furbush is back, Kelly is out – and a lineup

Post by Larry Larue / The News Tribune on Aug. 17, 2012 at 3:01 pm with 14 Comments »
August 17, 2012 3:01 pm

As expected, left-hander Charlie Furbush returned to the Seattle Mariners bullpen from the disabled list today, and right-hander Shawn Kelley was optioned to Tacoma.

On the DL since July 18, Furbush made five appearances with the Rainiers and has fully recovered from a triceps strain. He’ll be in the bullpen tonight should Mariners starting pitc her Hisashi Iwakuma need him.

The Mariners, who use Furbush as a setup manwhen ahead in games, would love to use him against the Minnesota Twins tonight.

Today’s lineup includes the much beloved catcher, Miguel Olivo, with John Jaso the designated hitter and Jesus Montero on the bench. Here’s the full lineup:

Dustin Ackley      2B
Michael Saunders  CF
Kyle Seager       3B
John Jaso         DH
Justin Smoak        1B
Miguel Olivo            C
Trayvon Robinson   LF
Eric Thames        RF
 Brendan Ryan           SS
Hisashi Iwakuma   RHP

1. bbnate420 says:

Can someone explain why Kelley went down instead of Kinney?

2. bbnate420 says:

I think Larry has a bromance brewing with Olivo?

3. Larry Larue says:

Easy, Kinney is out of options, and Kelley wasn’t.

4. Larry Larue says:

As usual, you have misread the situation.

5. bbnate420 says:

LOL, Larry. I know how to read this. Kinney is 5 years older and has an ERA 2 points higher than Kelley’s. Kinney also has a long record of SUCKING at the ML level. I also could proof read an article before posting it, something you are either too lazy or intellectually insufficient to do! Good job trying to run off the last person other than timeout that actually reads the literary diarrhea you call this blog. Don’t let the door hit ya in October. You WON’T be missed.

6. What a Jerk^. Why dont you give the guy a break. Its a blog not an article. Its is just posted to give you unapreciative @$$holes a lineup. Thats it. If you want perfect grammar go right the blog yourself…..whats that? Oh yeah nobody cares what you think.
    Keep up the good work Larry and congrats on finally seeing a no hitter/perfect game.

7. bbnate420 says:

You seem to care enough about what I think to respond to it, Einstein.

It seems you must be as illiterate as he is. I asked a legitimate question and made an innocent joke. He responds with, “As usual, you have misread the situation.” I didn’t start with anything nasty about him. Not to mention that the logic he provided was completely faulty. Yeah, send Kelley down because an old bum has no options left. God, wouldn’t want to lose an integral piece like that. I have the crazy idea that players should have to EARN there spot and be rewarded for playing well. I guess we should fill the roster with a bunch of pinch running hobbits and old neverweres for reasons other than the best interests of the team.

The point about spelling and grammar was that maybe you should refrain from attacking your readers when you cannot even post a professional thread. About one out of 10 posts are free of spelling or grammatical errors. I don’t get paid by the TNT, and my posts are more professional than that.

His attacking response is just another example of being unprofessional. The bottom rung on the descent of this blog into the crap heap. It’s obvious I’m not the only one thats thinks it either. Every post made by Divish gets 10 times the comments. It’s akin to a wounded animal that needs to be put of of it’s misery.

8. Larry Larue says:

nate – you said i had a bromance with olivo. i said you had misread the situation. that was true.

9. Here I am, late to the table again, only to find it set with a crap sandwich. I guess the heat was making everybody testy.

Anyway, Wedge has seemed to favor Kinney over Kelley, especially in ‘clean up the mess’ situations where more than one inning of relief seems probable. As for Kelley, he has become more serious about pitching of late–at least, that’s the image he’s working on, you don’t hear him goofing around with Shannon much anymore–and I like him and hope he will succeed. But there are numerous M’s pitchers in the minors as well as with the big club that are ahead of him on the depth chart, I’d imagine. Kinney is what he is–Kelley has potential to improve, and the minors are a better place to work on things. Neither Kinney nor Kelley is expected to be a crucial piece for the M’s, but Kelley has more upside. That’s my take, anyway.

And, bbn–don’t want to be contentious here, just pointing out what I take to be a paradox–if you want anyone to blog more often, you have to cut some slack on the grammar and punctuation. I have an attorney buddy who’s driven crazy by blog sloppiness, so you’re not the only ones. Still, consider: you and I probably work pretty hard–well, writing articles for deadline, plus the now obligatory blog entries and tweets, make for long days, I imagine.

Meanwhile, thank goodness for the marine layer.

10. By the way, I didn’t mean to discount what’s obviously the primary reason they sent down Kelley instead of Kinney–it’s the option situation.

11. bbnate420 says:

Well, I apologize then Larry. Must’ve been the heat that made me flip out. I should’ve clarified before I went off on a tangent. I guess I’m the ass here.

BTW, my Olivo comment was sarcasm.

I understand the option situation, but I personally don’t agree with the move. Kinney isn’t really very good to me and he doesn’t have a future here IMO. It’s gotta be somewhat discouraging to Kelley, and his teammates, when you are send down for pitching pretty well because of some other BS. I would understand if Kinney was young or had a good track record. Although, if Kinney was young he would have options.

12. Re sarcasm, I got that–so was Larry’s original, as you know.

Why does there have to be an ass here? We’ve all got one, and we all show ‘em once in a while. Keeps us level the rest of the time. You’re not a troll; now that’s an ass.

If you were a reporter, bbn, you could ask Wedge your question about Kinney. Of course, he’d defer to Jack Z, but I note that he keeps using Kinney and seems to like what he sees.

13. Kinney doesn’t seem to hang his slider as often as Kelley does. Seems to have more consistent depth on the pitch, which makes him the only arm out of the bullpen from the right side that Wedge can bring in to try to get someone to GIDP. I like Kelley, and I think he is still working on throwing the slider with full conviction. Fully understandable, given the injury history with his elbow and the demands that the slider places on the joint.