Mariners Insider

Can Noesi step in, step up and get Mariners win?

Post by Larry Larue / The News Tribune on June 6, 2012 at 3:27 pm with 11 Comments »
June 6, 2012 3:30 pm

The Seattle Mariners felt pretty good about taking the series in Anaheim when they thought Felix Hernandez was starting tonight, but now Hector Noesi is stepping in for Felix and pitching on three days rest.

Noesi has lost his last three decisions and four of his last five, pitching well in stretches but often making mistakes that turn small rallies into big innings. He pitched against the Angels on May 27 and went eight innings, allowed three runs and Seattle lost, 4-2.

Tonight, Noesi will go as far as he can, which likely won’t be deep into the game. The Mariners bullpen, however, had last night off because Hisashi Iwakuma ate three innings.

When will Felix pitch next? Sunday is the earliest, and depends upon his back allowing him to freely work a bullpen session on Friday.

Meanwhile, here’s tonight’s lineup, and yes, that’s Michael Saunders batting sixth::

Ichiro Suzuki     RF
Dustin Ackley     2B
Kyle Seager       3B
Jesus Montero         DH
Justin Smoak      1B
Michael Saunders  CF
Miguel Olivo          C
Mike Carp        LF
Brendan Ryan          SS
Hector Noesi          RHP

1. timeout says:

I’d like to see five or six good innings out of Noesi, a couple out of Furbush by way of contrast, and let the chips fall where they may. Beavan and Noesi haven’t been upping their stock lately.

2. VNHLNFAN says:

Hope Noesi doesn’t throw batting practice tonight..not feeling good about this one at all.

3. Has it dawned on anyone yet that we’re at slightly over 1/3 of the season (A reasonable sample) & Ichiro’s batting .255??!

And Z is talking about re-signing him for 2013?

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

4. VNHLNFAN says:

They re-sign him and I give up..

5. VNHLNFAN says:

Then again it might not be too bad.. let’s say 5yr 150 mill, that should add up to quite a few more bobblehead nights for chuck and howie.

6. A couple thoughts (aka what I’d like to see):

Ichiro announces his retirement asap, effective at the end of the season. He gets a farewell tour & several fan appreciation nights.

FG gets healthy. We release Figgins. The outfield is Saunders in left, FG in center & Ichiro platooning in right with either Wells or Pegeuero.

One other though: despite Z’s denials, with the drafting of Zunino, the M’s must see Montero’s future as a dh. Despite what Z said on the radio, you don’t use the #3 pick on someone projected as a back up.

7. VNHLNFAN says:

Not seeing FG the this clubs future. Let the farewell tour start asap. It will be interesting to see how they move figgins.

8. I agree with you on FG long term, but I expect him to be around for a couple years if he ever gets healthy.

9. Meanwhile–while you guys are heaping dirt on Ichiro’s grave–he hit a couple of balls hard last night, and I expected something decent out of him tonight. Are you disappointed at what he did? Come on guys, pull for the M’s and let this thing play out. I’m hoping if he finishes the way he started the year, he’ll do the right thing; but I’m not going to slag him in the meantime.

Glad to see Saunders digging out too. Great road trip, and a fine comeback from those four losses against the Angel’s at home; now I want to see Smoak re-heat returning home.

One other note: I have an interest in the history of baseball. I guess it gives me a different perspective. Not better, just different. I don’t expect to be agreed with, but: live in the moment during the game, and try some long-term perspective once it’s over. You might enjoy the game more.

10. That’s why i specifically mentioned that with Ichiro we now have a large sample (over 1/3 of the season). He is a future HOF, but it’s time to retire.

Yes he had a good game last night, but we can’t afford an aging slap hitter in RF hitting .250. At least not if we want to win someday.

11. timeout says:

Keep shoveling…I’ll keep watching.