Mariners Insider

Dr. Felix is in, but Felix the pitcher is out

Post by Larry Larue / The News Tribune on June 5, 2012 at 4:36 pm with 7 Comments »
June 5, 2012 4:36 pm
Felix Hernandez - the pitcher

Scratched from his scheduled start today by persistent tightness in his lower back, Felix Hernandez said he knew the Seattle Mariners had only his best interest in mind and appreciated their concern.

“But if it’s up to me, I’m pitching tomorrow,” Felix said. “I want to be smart, but they pay me to pitch every fifth day.”

When will he pitch again?

Donning his Dr. Felix personna, Hernandez laid out his timetable: play catch Wednesday, work out on the off day Thursday and throw a bullpen session at Safeco Field on Friday.

“That would have me ready to start Sunday,” the doctor said.

The Mariners are quietly hinting it could be Tuesday, after Monday’s scheduled off-day. They point out that Felix – the pitcher, not the doctor – hasn’t thrown with any serioiusness since Saturday in Chicago, when he slipped while making a pitch.

“It doesn’t hurt unless I lift my leg to throw,” Dr. Felix said. “I have to be perfect to feel nothing.”

How, he was asked, did he injure himself in the second inning and stay in the game through five innings?

“You know me,” Felix said. “I don’t want to come out and I hate missing a start. If it was up to me, I’d pitch on my turn to start. But I understand why they’re doing what they’re doing. They know what they’re doing.”

1. wabubba67 says:

Congrats, Larry….reported on almost 18 hours after your competition. You’re on top of things, no doubt.

2. arcticice05 says:

Well I respect your right to make complaints, and I do agree at times, if you don’t like the reporting, there are other newspapers you can follow along with. Larry posts updates throughout the game on twitter, and I think he interacts with readers more than any of the other mariners writers. He is always willing to answer your questions and have great conversations.

3. wabubba67 says:

Twitter is for personal use. As a former resident of Tacoma for years, I refuse to concede that The News Tribune’s coverage has to be 2nd rate to The Seattle Times. If your assertion is true, there is no reason that Larry cannot expend the same amount of effort on his blog (professional) as he does on Twitter (personal).

4. wabubba67 says:

As of the 8th inning tonight, do you know who has the 3rd lowest OBP in the Mariners’ lineup tonight? It’s Ichiro at .287, the only ones that are worse are Carp and Ryan (both at .271).

18 million doesn’t go as far as it used to, apparently. I completely quit on the Mariners if Ichiro is a member of the team in 2013.

5. Conrad Birdy: “I hope I never get that tense.” When you eat the cactus down there in Arizona, try pulling off the needles first, wabub. It will improve your outlook.

6. Larry Larue says:

Perhaps your issue is with our approach, not solely with me. The decision before spring training was to not produce an in-game thread that last year was followed by a very few readers. Instead, the idea was to use the immediacy of Twitter. We’ve done that, and the Seattle Times and Mariners.com writers have, as well.
    Twitter is hardly a personal outlet. And game threads were ruled out by those with higher pay grades than mine.

7. timeout says:

Larry, perhaps the TNT could post your Twitter feed on the side of this blog. Wabub’s oft-cited rival publication does that for Stone and the Zacerbator. I’d like to read it myself in that convenient way.