Mariners Insider

Felix loses, the Mariners offense doesn’t help

Post by Larry Larue / The News Tribune on May 26, 2012 at 8:33 pm with 7 Comments »
May 26, 2012 8:33 pm

Felix Hernandez has owned up to some bad pitches, some dismal outcomes over the years, but the grand slam home run he allowed Saturday that beat him?

Not so much.

“It was a good pitch, inside fastball, and Alberto (Callaspo) just got his bat on it,” Hernandez said. “He talked to Miguel Olivo later and said ‘I don’t know how I hit that ball.’

“I don’t either.”

For the Mariners, Callaspo’s pinch-hit grand slam in the fifth inning was the game changer, turning a 2-1 Seattle lead into a 5-2 deficit from which they never recover, losing to the Los Angeles Angels, 5-3.

The loss was in keeping with the month of May for Hernandez, who is a Cy Young Award candidate most months of the season, but never in this one. Felix Hernandez is 10-20 in May throughout his career and has a 4.68 earned run average. This May, he’s 2-3 with a 4.55 ERA.

“I’m always terrible in May,” Felix said. “I don’t know why. I really have no idea, but it’s true.”

As for the Seattle offense: Six hits, including a Justin Smoak solo home run. Manager Eric Wedge didn’t care for what he’s seen of late.

“I’m disappointed with our overall approach at the plate,” Wedge said. “We’re taking too many strikes. We’re fouling off pitches we should be squaring up. We’re getting a little too picky with two strikes.”

And they’re losing. Against the Angels, they’re now 0-3.

“The last couple of years, they’ve beaten us pretty regularly,” second baseman Dustin Ackley said. “We think we’re good enough to play with them, to beat them this year.

“That’s what’s been tough about this series. We took two of three from Texas, we were playing well …”

1. alaskafan says:

Why is Figgins still in Seattle? He is not being used and is not in the Mariners future, just accept the fact, that not signing Beltre, and signing Figgins was a HUGE MISTAKE!

2. twhitehead1081 says:

I guess I’m baffled at what the deal is. You can point to stats and sabermetrics or whatever else and chances are every reason you give has merit to it. You can blame the manager or certain players and everyone has a fault in it. But whatever the reasons are they just don’t seem to get better. The Chone Figgins thing is terribly annoying but even that isn’t the be all/end all solution either. Why is it that Seattle just can’t seem to put a team together that can win?

3. VNHLNFAN says:

starts at the top

4. BigBlew says:

I agree that it all starts at the top. However I also believe that young players today are not students of the game. I believe Felix is not. I’ve watched him through the years and he seems to think batters are amazed by him. They are not anylonger. I’ve never seen him chart a pitch the nite before. It was a mistake giving himm a contract to fill the seats just as not trading ichiro to fill the seats. The Mariners will stink till they put winning first. Butts in the aseats are a result of the first action. Want to see a good baseball game go South To Tacoma. It’s a lot less money and heartache.

5. Nomdeguerre says:

Mariner fatigue is setting in faster this season. Less folks are following them because the kids don’t seem to be developing and the veterans aren’t producing. Carp seems to be backsliding from the hope he provided last year, Figgins still sucks, and the pitching isn’t as good this year. I believe in Wedge but I don’t believe in the front office because this has been going on too long.

6. Funny, a few hours before reading this thread I was s/w a friend in San Diego where the Padres also suck.

I made 3 comments as to why the M’s were SOOOOOOOO bad:

1. Bavasi & bad signings
    2. Z & Figgins 17 mil & Ichiro’s 18 Mil
    3. Lowered payroll combined with the above

7. bbnate420 says:

BigBlew, signing Felix was a mistake? You’re obviously as clueless as the front office. Yeah, why would you want to keep your best player!

alaskafan, Beltre was NEVER going to resign here. He HATED playing in Safeco. That’s why he signed a 1 year deal with a team in a good hitting park in hopes that he would have a good year and get a good multi-year deal the year after. And that’s what happened. This highlights the need to move the fences at Safeco! What are these MORONS waiting for!

If these morons resign Ichiro and don’t move the fences then I AM DONE WITH THIS TEAM. Clean house in the FO, Z and up!