Mariners Insider

A walk off win for Mariners, courtesy of Tigers

Post by Larry Larue / The News Tribune on May 7, 2012 at 10:43 pm with 13 Comments »
May 7, 2012 10:45 pm

Their first walk off win of the season came in their 31st game, and while the Detroit Tigers teed the ninth-inning rally up, the Seattle Mariners still had to finish it.

Finish it they did.

Two inning-opening walks, then a pair of Octavio Dotel wild pitches, turned a 2-0 Detroit lead into a 2-1 edge with a man on third base – and Jesus Montero doubled off he center field wall to tie the score.

Kyle Seager sacrificed pinch runner Munenori Kawasaki to third, John Jaso’s fly ball scored him and the Mariners won, 3-2, getting all their runs in the ninth.

In victory, the Mariners survived a superb start by former teammate Doug Fister, just off the disabled list. Seven shutout innings, 73 pitches. And as he’d seen happen before in Seattle, the game got away after he departed.

Blake Beavan started and was literally knocked out of the game in the third inning, when Miguel Cabrera’s line drive hit his right elbow.

“It was like a 200-mph fastball back at me, and all I could do was slightly turn my body,” Beavan said. “It hit me right on the elbow. I was numb for 20-25 minutes.”

X-rays showed no break, but pain and swelling may cost Beavan his next start. If he can’t make it, Hisashi Iwakuma – who made his third appearance of the season tonight – likely would.

Mixing his fastball with an assortment of breaking pitches, Iwakuma worked three innings, struck out five and allowed one run.

How stunning was Seattle’s comeback? Consider this – the team had scored eight runs in the ninth inning in its first 30 games, then got three against the Tigers. Tonight, they had all of five hits, just one in the ninth inning.

On Tuesday, the Mariners face Cy Young Award winner and American League MVP Justin Verlander.

1. mcdousp says:

2. bvask5 says:

Waiver Olivio, who can’t hit his weight. Keep Jaso and get him more AB’s, all he does is produce.

3. Coach81 says:

LaHair is a great example of why Seattle can’t give up on any of their young players (i.e. Smoak) until they have 1,000 big league at-bats.

4. FishAK says:

Lahair is playing awesome with those stats…but come on…who is thinking Chicago…time to think Mariners…nice win last night in the ninth inning. I will say that Smoak needs to use Lahair as an example…hit the ball Smoakie! I am tired of you riding on the coat tails of your other teammates. Play a part and make things happen!

5. timeout says:

Had a great seat last night, right behind the plate. Some thoughts:

Smoak hit the ball hard all three times with nothing to show for it. I think he’s coming around.

Iwakuma threw back-to-back pitches, 74 and 73 mph, that broke as sharply as a slider, in on the lefty, and broke down as well. I’ve never seen a pitch thrown less than 80 break that sharply, and I have no idea what it was. He threw curves to the other side of the plate, about the same speed, but the break was more 12 to six. I’m still wondering what that pitch was. He looked good.

I was scared when Jaso didn’t hit the ball very deep in the ninth. Iwakuma took a couple of steps toward the plate and had to go back and tag. Why? It almost cost them.

That said, man, his enthusiasm is tremendous. While Below, who relieved Dotel, was warming up, Iwakuma was out there running around like a madman on the outfield grass between second and third. At one point, fortunately, he stopped and talked with Datz coaching third. When Seager bunted he was ready. And when he scored on Jaso’s soft liner, he came barreling in to the plate in a cloud of dust and got a tangled up in the celebration. At one point he was just doubled up there on the grass, and someone came over, helped him up and gave him a couple of extra pats. He’s like a three-year old out there. I couldn’t help thinking, “There’s a player over thirty who loves baseball as much as I do.” What a great feeling.

This made up for the Friday game, the last one I saw, when Wilhelmsen went cuckoo on the bases-loaded grounder he caught bare-handed. This team is going to drive us crazy all year, I’m afraid, but it sure is fun.

And finally, thank you Mr. Dotel, because this game wasn’t going to be an M’s win without your futility. Finally, finally, Ichi takes a walk instead of trying to do it all by himself.

6. timeout says:

I guess I’ve got Iwakuma on the brain. Of course I’m talking about Kawasaki, pinch-running for Montero with such enthusiasm.

7. wabubba67 says:

While I stress patience with young players, this organization is in trouble if we have to wait until Smoak is 29 (like LaHair) before producing. I like Smoak…not sure that I’m convinced he is cut out to be a switch hitter (though he would clearly have more value if successful).

8. alaskafan says:

Smoak would be better off playing in Tacoma.

9. timeout says:

alaska, in my book Smoak has three weeks to produce something before I’ll (possibly) agree with you. Let’s see whether–if he’s in there–he can get his bat around on Verlander’s fastball.

Of course, if you’re just saying he’ll hit better in Tacoma than in the bigs–you’re right! The question is, what’s best for his development. If this were a team expected to win 100 games, he’d already be in Tacoma, I daresay.

10. “mcdousp
    May 8, 2012 at 2:42 am

Anybody notice what is up in Chicago – Bryan Lahair playing first base, batting clean up, and hitting a robust 390! Throw in 8 dingers, an 800 slugging percentage, and that is a first baseman!”

I noticed LaHair last year also. We blew off both him & Morse for Smoak. Grr.

11. I also agree Smoak should be in Tacoma now.

12. timeout says:

We’re all three consistent in our opinions regarding Smoak. Now we’ll see what the M’s think.

13. timeout says:

alaskafan, moo, and others who are interested: did you hear what Zduriencik had to say about Smoak last night? If not, you can listen via Shannon Drayer’s blog: http://mynorthwest.com/374/674013/Jack-Zduriencik-on-the-postgame-show

Essentially, it sounds as though Jack’s coming from the same place as Coach 81.