Mariners Insider

Mariners blow down Twins, here come Tigers

Post by Larry Larue / The News Tribune on May 6, 2012 at 5:19 pm with 8 Comments »
May 6, 2012 5:19 pm
Hector Noesi

They have followed their seven-game losing streak by winning two games in a row, including today’s 5-2 decison over the Minnesota Twins – but are the Seattle Mariners ready for the Detroit Tigers?

They were two weeks ago, when the swept the Tigers in Detroit but didn’t face their best pitching. This time, Seattle matches up Doug Fister, Justin Verlander and Drew Smyly, who is 1-0 with a 1.61 earned run average.

Mariners bats heated up against the 7-20 Twins, scoring 12 runs the past two games, and while Jesus Montero and Kyle Seager have solidified the heart of the order, teammates like Dustin Ackley and Mike Carp have shown signs of slow progress, too.

Today, starter Hector Noesi put together his best effort since working eight scoreless innings against Oakland on April 14.

“It wasn’t quite as good as Oakland, but it was close,” Noesi said after allowing one run in seven innings and winnng his second game.

The offense surged early – Montero had a two-run first-inning double, and Seager followed by singling him home for a 3-0 lead. Carp added his first home run and Brendan Ryan’s sac fly scored Ackley, who’d tripled.

“I’m a month behind everyone, but I’m seeing a lot of pitches and feeling closer every day,” Carp said.

So they beat Nick Blackurn today for their second win in a row. Getting No. 3 or No. 4 figures to be a lot tougher.

Suggest any lineups for right-handers Fister and Verlander?

1. Coach81 says:

Keep the same lineup going. No reason to break up something that has worked for a couple of games. Run the same card out there.

2. I’d like to see Liddi either replacing Smoak or at DH if Montero catches. Other than that I agree with Coach.

Anyone want to place bets on how much longer Luetge can go without giving up a run? The kid’s been impressive.

3. wabubba67 says:

moo–Z has taken a lot of heat from you lately. Remember that Luetge was a Rule 5 draftee…Z scouted him and drafted him from another organization. Just say’in.

4. timeout says:

Smoak is edging up on it; I’d like to see him square one up tomorrow.

5. Coach81 says:

Luetge is the first Rule 5 guy that I can remember in Seattle that actually has experienced some success. Good job Z.

6. FishAK says:

OK, I have talked smack about the M’s last week. This week I have to give them a little praise. Finally we saw Felix get some run support. I want to see him with the Cy Young with a great record and not have to go through all the critics for winning the Cy Young with a crappy record. I think Felix is one of the hottest pitchers in the league and should be considered.

I am still questioning Smoak…he is a decent fielder…but his hitting is way off. As for Ryan, after a couple defensive stops over the weekend, I can understand why he is in there. He even batted a little this weekend, so I can deal with him.

Is Figgins out? Didnt see much playing time over the weekend.

Hoping to get a couple more from Detroit. It will be tough with their best pitchers throwing. Go M’s!

7. hooks21 says:

Figgins has been demoted to the utility player role……giving rest to other players as they need it. Hopefully nobody gets tired.

8. Wabubba, Z has to do something right once in awhile; even Bavasi got a couple right!