Mariners Insider

Mariners plan: Get better, any way possible

Post by Larry Larue / The News Tribune on Nov. 28, 2011 at 9:08 am with 9 Comments »
November 28, 2011 9:10 am

Acquiring a left-handed hitting reserve catcher is often the kind of move contending teams make as they round out an already-solid roster, though the Seattle Mariners weren’t in that position when they traded for John Jaso on Sunday.

For a portion of the fan base chomping at the bit for Prince Fielder, this was as disappointing as unwrapping a lump of coal on Christmas. It shouldn’t be.

No matter what general manager Jack Zduriencik does the rest of the off-season, one major trade or signing isn’t going to make the Mariners contenders. What will? Upgrades every chance he gets, at any position.

Improve in small steps and when a big one is made, you have a good team, not just an added bat.

The emergence last year of relievers Tom Wilhelmsen, Steve Delabar and Chance Ruffin allowed the Mariners the freedom to move Josh Lueke, whose promise appeared only in flashes and whose future was hardly can’t-miss. A left-handed hiting catcher is a luxury few teams have. Now, the Mariners have one.

It would be far more popular to land a cleanup hitter before filling out the Seattle bench, but when opportunities arise, good GMs seize them. The Mariners are a better team today than they were last week.

It’s a start.

1. This team doesn’t have one bad player holding the team back – and they don’t need one superstar to get to the playoffs. With the exception of just a few guys, the entire team sucks and needs to be replaced, including some very high level management.
    We need to get rid of a bunch of dead weight and bring in a bunch of new blood.

2. SeaThemHawks says:

I am happy with the mariners taking their time rebuilding.I would rather have a power house of a ball club for 10 years then a one and done playoff team

3. joshuatree007 says:

For the love of Lou! Please Mariners give me something to get excited about! I disagree with Larry and I think they are one big bat away from contending. Imagine our pitching staff actually getting to pitch with a lead. Imagine being two runs down in the 6th and still thinking you’ve got a chance to win. I don’t know off hand how many games we lost by 2 runs or less, but where would we be if we won even half of those?
    Every year Jackie Z has tried the second tier free agency route and it rarely works. (Kotchman, Cust, Figgy, etc.) I’m tired of waiting until next year. I swear if I get the same company line as “Well Figgy could bounce back…” and “If the kids to come through…” I’m going to throw up in my lunchbox.

4. Kevindot1 says:

I am with joshuatree007. The M’s have lost the majority of the fan base due to a decade plus of subpar baseball. I have lost all faith in Howard and Chuck. I think we all would be willing to hear about “rebuilding” if we haven’t been fed that line year after year after year. I am sick and tired of rebuilding. I too believe that this owner group has no plans to put a winning team on the field. 2012 will again bring record low numbers to Safeco Field’s attendance records.

5. BrickTamland says:

Why is this guy viewed as a reserve catcher? He’s clearly better than Olivo. And he costs less.

6. Gr8sparky says:

All you naysayers! You think we have it so bad. Look at the Cubs. There’s a fanbase that has a right to complain, But their still the most loyal fans out there. Down with fair weather fans!!

7. I don’t agree that our pitching staff is first rate at this point. It was when we had Fister & Bedard, & it MAY be again depending on how the top prospects work out; but right now our starters are only 2 deep (3 if Vargas has a comeback season).

Some day I’ll stop harping about the Fister trade, but at this point I’m still really irritated. Trading away our only real strength (starting pitching) for 2nd tier prospects. Grr.

8. footballscaa says:

Don’t love that trade. Lueke was a good pitcher, not great. Not yet. This trade didn’t improve the club.

9. powderhog says:

Fairweather is one thing but the product on the field stinks and has for many years. Bringing Griffey back was the deal breaker for me. Bringing him back after he spit in the face of Seattle only meant one thing: bringing in the fanbase for the dollars, thats it.