Mariners Insider

Mariners trade Bedard/Fields for minor league bats

Post by Larry Larue / The News Tribune on July 31, 2011 at 1:44 pm with 15 Comments »
July 31, 2011 1:58 pm
Erik Bedard: Headed for Boston and pennant race

The Seattle Mariners sent pitchers Erik Bedard and Josh Fields to the Boston Red Sox today in a three-team deal that brought them two young outfield bats – Boston’s AA prospect Chich-Hsien Chiang and Dodgers AAA prospect Trayvon Robinson.

Chiang, 23, is batting .338 with 18 home runs and 76 RBI in 87 games with AA Portland in the Eastern League.  Robinson, 23, is a switch-hitter with speed batting .293 with 26 home runs and 71 RBI in 100 games with AAA Albuquerque.

Both players will report to the Mariners minor league affiliates, Tacoma for Robinson, Jackson for Chiang.

“I hope our fans understand, we’ve given up two of our starting pitchers but gotten back six pieces in the past two days,” Gm Jack Zduriencik said. “Our focus was to get offensive help.”

Zduriencik said the Mariners 17-game losing streak changed the teams trading deadline approach.

“We could have had two good months of Erik Bedard, or we could get talent we thought would be with us for years,” Zduriencik said.

Bedard, 32, was 4-7 with a 3.65 earned run average this season and, in a career marred by three major surgeries, 15-14 with a 3.31 ERA in 46 starts for Seattle.

Fields, 25, was with Class AAA Tacoma when the trade was made, and was the Mariners first-round draft pick in 2008. He had never appeared in a big-league game.

The deal came together a day after Seattle traded pitchers Doug Fister and David Pauley to Detroit for outfielder Casper Wells, pitcher Charlie Furbush and two minor league prospects, one of them third baseman Francisco Martinez.

1. rockola63 says:

Your take Lash?

2. It would sure be nice if just once Z obviously fleeced someone. Hasn’t happened since the Putz trade, which is the ONLY time it has happened. Why did we throw in Fields? Wasn’t he a #1 pick??!

3. The Boston newspaper is calling Chiang a “Third Tier prospect”.

4. Larry Larue says:

without talking to anyone not named zduriencik, and going strictly by the numbers, appears mariners got a couple of kids who might well be part of the future here – and robinson sooner rather than later.

bottom line: fields had little future here and bedard was approaching lots of costly incentives for a team likely to lose 95 games easily.

5. Here’s why I’m a bit upset: We already have several guys who can hit at AAA :
    Saunders
    Wilson
    Mangini
    Liddi
    Limonta
    Pena

& I’m sure I’ve left a few out.

On the other hand, we have NO decent starters at Tacoma. None. Zero. Zilch.

And unless Vargas snaps out of his slump, we’re down to 3 decent starters at the MLB level, (assuming Bevan isn’t a flash in the pan), & we just lost our second best reliever.

The good news is we’ll get another great draft pick in 2012.

And we now have 8 great minor league hitters instead of 6!

6. As I mentioned above, something has not been right with Vargas the last few weeks. I almost hope it’s an injury (though I hate to wish that on anyone); because that would mean he could return to form after healing.

7. SharkHawk says:

Yay! More AAAA hitters. Way to go Dr. Z! What… didn’t the Dodgers want to part with Billy Ashley? Couldn’t the White Sox part with Rob Deer? The White Sox refused to give up Ron Kittle?

8. nonstopjoe says:

Letting Josh Fields go is beyond comprehension – he was to be the next Mariano Riviera. This is sickening

9. SharkHawk says:

Sorry, I meant the Brewers wouldn’t give up Deer. Not the White Sox. Chicago was Kittle Country.

10. scottasbj says:

Bedard was worth keeping. His contract was low, and he never quit on himself and Seattle, in spite of all of the adversity. He didn’t need the spotlight, and didn’t have an entertaining personality, but no matter what, he always gave his all. The proof? Try pitching again at the Major League level, after a Rotator Cuff tear. Nearly impossible. You have to have a high work ethic to do the rehab, and he did everything that was asked to do. We tossed away a great pitcher who was coming back into his own. We need to trade some of these idiot Sport Writers for some Minor League prospects. They never go out and get their hands dirty, but have plenty of advice. I have torn both of my rotator cuffs, and one time, for three weeks, I kept looking down at my arm to see if it was still there, because it felt it was no longer attached. Try dealing with that before you trash a great pitcher who happened to injure himself. Pathetic little men behind a keyboard.

11. coryfale says:

I was at a AAA Albq game two weeks ago (He hit the longest HR I have ever seen). Robinson is a star, and would be the best outfielder on the mariners immediately if called up. He is a much better Adam Jones. Your going to like Robinson.

12. SharkHawk says:

Scottasbj who exactly are you talking to? Your comments seem to be directed at those here, and I didn’t see one thing degrading Bedard or his performance. What exactly are you so riled up about? Congrats on your two recovered shoulders. That’s cool. But I don’t see how it plays into your anger at people using a keyboard. What a strange bit of anger.

13. wabubba67 says:

This is a strange and fickle bunch of comments. I was slightly ambivalent toward the Fister/Pauley trade, as I really liked Fister as a solid #3 or #4 starter…he was cheap and durable. Until this season, Pauley was a fringe major league pitcher….the minors are full of David Pauleys. In return, the Mariners received a desired 3B prospect, an established 4th OF at the major league level that was once THE prospect in the Tigers system (and that Z and Mariners scouts seem to still regard highly), a tall left handed relief/starting pitcher and a prospect to be named later (due to 2010 draft rules). Not a bad deal, but not a great one….but might have the potential to be in a few years. All in all, a fair trade.

The Bedard/Fields trade is impressive. Look at Bedard objectively (and without any personality traits or faults attached) and you will see an often injured pitcher that, even when healthy, rarely worked deep into games. When you contemplate the enmeshed layers of apparent personality disorders, the trade becomes even more remarkable. Yes, I know that he loved Seattle. Shouldn’t that be a red flag? What truly competitive pitcher loves pitching for a perennial loser in a small media market? I don’t think that is the type of pitcher I would trust to pitch against the Yankees/Red Sox in a road playoff game. Fields had no future here and has not developed as hoped (by the Bavasi regime) in the last three years….he throws a tremendously straight fastball. I doubt if he ever becomes an established major league reliever.

So in return for an injury-prone LH starter with potential and a minor league reliever unlikely to ever pitch for long in the majors, we received:

1.) Chiang….currently batting .338 with 18 HRs and 76 RBIs in 87 games at the AA level. (I don’t care if the Boston papers declare him as a third-tier prospect, moo,….those numbers would have us drooling if he put them up in Jackson.)

2.) Robinson….a switch hitter with speed and power currently batting .293 with 26 HRs and 76 RBIs in 100 games at AAA. Hopefully he’ll be in Tacoma by Tuesday and I can see him play with my own eyes.

Oh yeah,…both players are only 23 and about to enter their physical primes (generally considered to be 24-28 years of age). This is how teams get better….incrementally and with patience.

As fans, we ought to be building a statue to Z for pulling off these trades while working for the handicaps that are Lincoln/Armstrong…..if we don’t, it is likely that the next GM and ownership group (please, please) will.

14. After sleeping on it, I’m ok with this trade. I still don’t like the Fister trade, though.

15. mojjonation says:

At the beginning of the season, I said Bedard would be on the DL by the end of May. So I missed it by a month and now he’s gone after a horrible outting. The M’s will probably bring him back…AGAIN since we know the Red Sox aren’t going to sign him to any deal of any length. Wash, rinse, repeat. When healthy, Bedard pitched pretty good. I heard a stat the other day about his last 11 outtings. Something long the lines of a 1.8 era. Problem is, he isn’t healthy. Like the article says, three major surgeries. Just like the Hawks, the M’s are getting younger and hopefully better. This season is now lost. Felix on the hill for opening day 2012.