Mariners Insider

Bedard has successful surgery to remove bone spur, no damage to labrum

Post by Ryan Divish on Aug. 7, 2010 at 5:14 pm with 10 Comments »
August 7, 2010 5:23 pm
AP photo

Left-hander Erik Bedard met with the media a little while ago to talk about the surgery he had on Friday on his throwing shoulder.

The procedure, which was performed by team surgeon Dr. Edward Khalfayan and assisted by Dr. Lewis Yocum, was deemed a success. Bedard had a bone spur in  his acromioclavicular joint shaved down. Khalfayan also inspected the labrum and it appeared to be healthy and in good shape.

“I feel good,” Bedard said.”It’s good to get it over with. I mean, they found what it was and it’s going to be an easy rehab compared to last year.”

Bedard clearly seemed relieved.

“Yeah, because when you don’t really know, you don’t know if the labrum came back healed right, but everything looked good, the labrum was fine, the rotator cuff was fine,” he said. “And it was just getting the bone spur out and start a new arm. They shaved it off, made it nice and clean, and I’ll be fine.”

But he was adamant, that he felt fine for most of the rehab process.

“Yeah, like the two sessions I threw in Arizona, I thought it was going to be back,” he said. “It felt really good and I was throwing as hard, pretty much as hard as I could, and it didn’t hurt. And after that in Tacoma, it just went downhill.”

And that was the part that irritated Bedard the most. He was so close to being back on a big league mound. Who knew his last rehab start would the last start of this season?

“That’s the most disappointing part,” he said. “You get pretty much at the end before you’re going to come back and it breaks down. You put all that work in and it just didn’t work out in the end.”

Mariners trainer Rick Griffin could see Bedard’s frustration with the setbacks and felt for him.

“I’ve basically followed him for three years and worked with him for three years, and for him to be so close to coming back to the big leagues and see how hard he’s worked and the bullpens he’s thrown, this year especially, he’s been phenomenal,” Griffin said. “He’s done exactly what he’s been asked to do, he’s followed everything exactly how we wanted it to, and now that this has been cleared up, this should allow him to do whatever he needs to do to be ready to pitch.”

So when will Bedard be ready to pitch? Griffin said that Bedard will be healthy enough to begin his normal throwing program in December and should be ready to go by spring training.

“He should have no limitations,” Griffin said.

Said Bedard: “Yeah. I’m going to have a normal throwing offseason, so I’ll be ready by spring. Easy.”

But will that spring training be with the Mariners? That is a little dicey. The Mariners have an $8 million club option on Bedard for next season.

When asked if he wanted to be back, Bedard said:  “If they want me back, yes, I would love to come back.”

Uncategorized
  1. bigmike04 says:

I say mariners need to cut their lost on this guy, He calls his own shots in the game like when he want to be taken out the game by 100 pitches which is 5 inning for the guy. The guy will never ever be a Top Starter in baseball because he doesn’t have the desire to be one nor does he have the ablity to be one. The Seattle Mariners just say no because once again another trade that failed…

2. dave8557 says:

If he will play at the major league minimum salary, then that would be fair. He should want to give back after taking salary the last 3 years.

3. SharkHawk says:

Something tells me Bedard is not the type of dude that would be willing to come back at a reduced salary. Something also tells me that some other team would be willing to pay him a pretty good chunk of change just based on potential. We all saw that Ben Sheets got paid good money to come to Oakland this year and I think everybody and their dog knew that it was a matter of time before his arm exploded. He got 10 million bucks! So by that logic I guess Bedard is “worth” the 8 million dollar option.

Perhaps they can talk him into turning it into a 2 year deal again based on incentives to where he could earn even a little bit more than that if he hits certain benchmarks, but the second year buyout would be much lower to protect the team.

My thinking is that if he comes in at the beginning of next year and starts strong and plays well then he could probably get pretty decent return at the trade deadline, and let’s face it. As this organization stands now, they are 3-5 years away from contending for anything and need to stockpile as much AA talent as possible in hopes that a few of those players turn into something in a couple of years.

As far as Bedard goes, I think he has worked hard and I applaud him for his efforts. It sounds like he’s just had extremely bad luck. But I know a lot of guys have pitched with all sorts of problems, including bone spurs and still done fine. He seems like he needs to be 100% comfortable in order to pitch and that’s ok. That’s his choice. I am just not sure if that’s how you want to build your rotation. I think he can see that the M’s are a good organization though in how they’ve treated him and respected him and paid him so well for so long for absolutely no return. He seemed really angry at first that there was all of this pressure for him to be here and to sign a long term deal and lead a rotation and he supposedly wanted out from day 1, and through all that the team showed him nothing but loyalty and respect. I think that should speak volumes about how the M’s will treat a player. I know in a lot of cities he wouldn’t have been treated half as decent. When things were bad last year the M’s stepped up and overpaid to sign him and haven’t pushed him to be on the mound. They haven’t questioned him or called him out in the media or anything else. Let’s see that happen in Philly, Boston, New York, Chicago or any of the other “desirable” locations players all seem to want to end up in.

4. VisitingFan says:

I don’t know if there is a more desirable outcome to this surgery than finding out that the fix was as minor as a bone spur removal, and that everything else is structurally sound. I cannot be happier for Erik. I’m elated! I hope he takes his time regaining his health and strength, and doesn’t feel the obligation to come back to the satisfaction of someone else’s timeframe.

bigmike, I know you are not a fan, but did Erik disgust you that much when you were chasing for his autograph after his Tacoma start?

As for the stale 5-innings-100-pitches argument — that is more and with far better results than what a trio of guys in your rotation now have done, and he did it while pitching with a fluid-filled ball in his shoulder in 2008, then with a hole in it last season. He posted better than average numbers while pitching injured for two consecutive seasons. THAT is talent, skill, and determination. The hacks in Seattle’s broadcasting business, the ESPN hacks and the fans that parrot them may not recognize such, but you don’t have to waddle in that pool of ignorance. Think independently for once, man!

dave, following your logic would you say that if Erik had signed for the minimum this season and ended being a 5 WAR, 20 million player, that the Mariners should want to give him the difference? Yea, no Mariners fan would be clamoring for that to happen. It was an investment. It didn’t pay off for either party. Accept that and move on — and I do hope Erik does move on, to a team that won’t be looking up from the cellar two weeks into the season.

5. VisitingFan says:

SharkHawk, I will respectfully disagree with a few things:

Those guys end up having more severe problems later on, not least of them undergoing surgery. And in Erik’s case — or anyone that has endured two previous surgeries in the same spot — that would be immensely foolish to do, not to mention career-ending.

and through all that the team showed him nothing but loyalty and respect.

They were trying to trade him before the deadline in 2008, and that was a consideration last year as well. It’s understandable; that is how the business goes. But at the same time, if the club really were that loyal to him that it would be wiling to overlook any benefit his trade would bring, they would not even think about exploring that avenue.

They haven’t questioned him or called him out in the media or anything else.

Hope I don’t sound imperious here, but you must do an article search on his first two years in Seattle, and listen to archived audio on places such as KJR. Maybe Mr. Divish can help with this. The “journalist” that hosts the show Mr. Divish appears in has shown his disdain and disrespect for Erik pretty much since he landed in Seattle.

6. SharkHawk says:

Not all of the guys who have pitched with bone spurs have ended up with more serious problems later on to the point that they were ruined. Quite a few guys have them removed in the offseason and play fine. Nolan Ryan pitched in Anaheim with bone spurs for several years and finally had them removed, and still ended up pitching another 15 years or so. He suffered no permanent damage. His elbow was full of them. Many people have bone spurs at all times. It is typical for wear and tear on a joint.

As for the not questioning him in the media… I was talking about the team. Re-read it please. I said “THE ORGANIZATION”, I didn’t mention the media at all. Organizations such as the Cubs, Yankees, Mets, and others have been known to call their own players to the carpet. I’m not talking about media in those towns, I am talking specifically about ownership, management, and other players. IT DID NOT HAPPEN TO BEDARD HERE…. regardless of what Divish said. Last time I checked Divish was a member of the media, and NOT a member of the Mariners organization.

As for the rest of the pick-aparts… I feel like it’s a waste of time to go back and forth and refute everything you’ve said with what I’ve said. It turns into a flame war. I’ve made my statement… you misread part of it clearly and it tainted your view on my opinions. After re-reading maybe you’ll have a different opinion.

I can pick at one thing you said though… you said and I quote: “Yea, no Mariners fan would be clamoring for that to happen. It was an investment. It didn’t pay off for either party. Accept that and move on — and I do hope Erik does move on, to a team that won’t be looking up from the cellar two weeks into the season.”

That piece alone is completely and totally WRONG, not factual, a lie, bologna, or whatever you want to call it. The only half that “lost” on this investment was the Mariners. Bedard made well over a million dollars this year in guaranteed money to go to physical therapy. If that is losing on an investment then I’ll do it every day. When I go to physical therapy I get billed. When I miss work I don’t get paid. When Erik Bedard does it he gets millions of dollars. I can’t think of a better winning formula for investing than finding somebody who is willing to pay you seven figures to rehab. If he had pitched THEN he would have conceivably lost on his “investment” as he obviously would have been worth more than he made (although it would have essentially guaranteed his 8 million dollar option for next year being picked up and then allowing him to become a free agent after next season and he’d be looking at a huge deal if healthy). But the fact that he didn’t means that he made a great gamble and made out like a bandit. If his deal was a one year with no money but incentives and it was a minor league deal with only minor league money guaranteed if he didn’t make it to the major league roster and pitch in a game at some point then you might have an argument. He however got a significant amount of money and didn’t pitch this year. Good for him. He wins. The M’s lose. They thought it was worth the gamble, but don’t act like Erik somehow got ripped off in this whole situation.

I felt I was very complimentary of him compared to many others and wished him nothing but the best, but somehow I come out as the bad guy here. Hilarious. I wasn’t the one who cried about getting traded for five players and then said he didn’t feel he “deserved the pressure” that was being placed on him due to the trade. He set himself up for the scorn of many and continued it by his actions and reactions to those who surrounded him. But the organization itself has stood by him, protected him, and treated him with kid gloves. When nobody else would step up they did and never forced anything, including pushing him to push when he wasn’t 100% comfortable. Good for the M’s. There is a difference between them and the media. They are separate entities.

7. footballscaa says:

SkankHawk- once again proving himself, the font of all baseball knowledge. And a personal friend of Hank Aarons.

8. SharkHawk says:

There is nobody here named SkankHawk. But that was a nifty post dickhead.

9. devin Barkhouse says:

This could be your best writing yet!

htttp://myedgeonsuccess.com

10. Dyan Sellars says:

I’ve been encountering Plantar Fasciitis for the last few days this resource about plantar fasciitis support has been exceedingly beneficial, thanks a bunch