For forty years, I’ve been an activist with the Libertarian Party – you know, the fiscally responsible, socially tolerant people, the people who want to get the government out of your your bedrooms and to take less from your wallets. And, for forty years, that’s meant year-after-year of waking up after elections and finding that I’m on the losing side of most every vote.
But this year – Wow!
- Marriage equality (endorsed by the Libertarian Party) – PASSED.
- Legalizing pot (endorsed by the Libertarian Party) – PASSED.
- Charter schools (endorsed by the Libertarian Party) – PASSED.
- Super-majority to impose new taxes (endorsed by the Libertarian Party) – PASSED.
- The two bills to raise taxes that passed in the legislature – REJECTED in advisory votes.
- Proposition 1, the proposal to raise taxes to fund buses – REJECTED.
Essentially, the entire panoply of issues aligning with Liberty principles. And, Libertarian Gary Johnson got over a million votes – a high-water mark for Libertarian presidential campaigns, despite being totally ignored by all major media.
The Republican Party was smashed because its intolerance of liberty on social issues no longer plays well to a diversifying American population, and because American majorities no longer support Republicans’ insistence on a warfare state, with its attendant crony capitalism and budget-busting spending bills.
Although he lost this year, I think Gary Johnson’s campaign had it right: “America – You are Libertarian.” Apparently, Washington voters are fast becoming fiscally responsible and socially tolerant.