Letters to the Editor

Your views in 200 words or less

ELECTION: We’re worse off than four years ago

Letter by Monika Newitt, Tacoma on Sep. 4, 2012 at 4:30 pm with 178 Comments »
September 4, 2012 4:30 pm

I agree with Ann Romney’s statement that “everything has become harder these last few years.” I am a living example. Since 2008, my net worth has plummeted more than 30 percent, despite having a well-managed IRA to secure my future, real estate holdings and a lifelong effort to retire in some degree of comfort.

Today, I have been forced to allow my property to foreclose because of an underwater mortgage. A credit rating of over 800 has dropped to the point where buying another property for seven years is out of the question, even at today’s low rates and prices. My income is limited by my efforts to preserve the principal so I don’t have to become government-dependent at some future point. Prices continue to escalate, further squeezing my ability as a consumer.

No, I don’t have it as bad as many struggling with much less. We have all been impacted in some way by the past four years’ policies and economy. It saddens me that all the good planning in the world couldn’t avoid the setbacks we now suffer. Hopefully, we don’t accept the status quo, but see the possibility of recovery in a new, energetic administration.

They say what doesn’t kill us makes us stronger. The challenge today is to endure, embrace change and keep on trudging, as we have in the past.

Tags:
  1. LeePHilI says:

Geez, Monika – my mortgage is upside down and I’m not allowing foreclosure, in fact, because I paid my bills on time, I’m getting a modification, relective of my “losses”. Granted, my mortgage is with my credit union, and not some national bank who could care less about me….

My attitude is that I have to pay to live somewhere, I’d rather “struggle” to live where I get tax deductions for interest and taxes, in addition to watching the real estate market rebound (it has a history of doing that)

Your net worth plummeted 30%? I guess that must be your real estate debacle, because your IRA should have rebounded with gusto.

Best of luck and chin up.

2. LeePHilI says:

Oh and Monika…if you believe things are tough for Ann Romney, I think I know what your problem is…

3. sandblower says:

I think Monika is her own worst enemy from what I read and from what I know about investing and real estate. Blaming any of that on President Obama is an indication of not being able to take responsibility for one’s personal failures. Every indicator, with which I am familiar, of positive economic activity is higher today than it was at the beginning of his term. Monika’s problems stemmed from what was going on BEFORE Obama became President, not after as the extreme right would have us believe.

4. MS and breast cancer. Pretty tough.

And the quote does not say it was harder for her.

5. Scottc51 says:

Wow, Monika, don’t mention you might be worse off than 4 years ago, or the self-righteous will pounce.

6. frankiethomas says:

The past four years didn’t materialize out of nothingness. Good freaking grief!

7. taxedenoughintacoma says:

Worse off, let me count the ways.
    1. Lost 40% of my home value
    2. price of gas doubled
    3. cost of heathcare skyrocketed
    4. loss of annual family income by $4000 a year
    5. Lack of good jobs, McDonalds is hiring.
    6. Food prices through the roof
    7. highest number of Americans on food stamps
    8. 16 trillion in debt

And he has NO plans to change any of these. Noobama in 2012. He has to go. This wacky state will vote for him but we are inhabited by a majority of lost souls.

8. alindasue says:

Ms. Newitt,

An “underwater” mortgage is only a problem if you are trying to sell or refinance. Since you don’t mention being unemployed or other loss of actual income (which is different from “net worth”), there is no apparent reason you should have been forced to allow your house to go into foreclosure – unless you took on more debt than you could handle to begin with.

Even if the house did drop in value, the payments would have been the same (or possibly less if you have an ARM). The value of the house could drop to nothing and it wouldn’t affect your credit rating if you are continuing to make the payments.

As it is, there was and article just today that pointed out that home values are on the rise again.

In other words, house prices are inflating. I find it interesting that inflation is good when you are holding an investment, but bad when you actually want to buy something. You are trying to have it both ways and it just doesn’t work that way – regardless of who the president is.

By the way, our family is doing better than we were four years ago. Our 401Ks and Roth IRA have stopped dropping and are gradually gaining value. Three unemployed relatives now started working again this summer. My husband finally got a small raise this year for the first time since 2007.

I respect Ann Romney and the trials that she endures, but the economy is not one of her problems. The economy is still our problem, but things are better than they were after the bottom started dropping out in 2008.

9. took14theteam says:

I can see buckets and buckets of Obama water being carried by some of the commenters here.

Kum-ba-ya, my lord, kum-ba-ya

10. Fault lies only w/the banking system in handing out mortgages like candy. To recoup from decades of faulty loans won’t happen over night. No administration can bring prosperity back. It’s all about time, hopefully!

11. alindasue says:

taxedenoughintacoma,

“1. Lost 40% of my home value

Are you basing that on the “bubble” value or did you actually buy your house during the middle of the bubble when prices inflated to ridiculous levels? If you didn’t buy your house during the bubble, how is the current value compared to when you bought it? That makes a difference.

Even after refinancing this year for home repairs, our house is worth nearly double what we paid. Real estate bubbles are only good if you earn money by flipping houses – and then only if you can manage to buy before the bubble starts and sell before the bubble ends.

“2. price of gas doubled”

“3. cost of heathcare skyrocketed”

“4. loss of annual family income by $4000 a year”

I quit a job in 2010, but our income at our other jobs has increased slightly.

“5. Lack of good jobs, McDonalds is hiring.”

McDonald’s never quit hiring, unlike in 1982 when even the fast food places had signs posted that said “not accepting applications”.

“6. Food prices through the roof”

They have increased a bit, but not “through the roof”. See my comment above to Ms. Newitt about my feelings on inflation.

Hyperbole does not make for good argument in a debate.

12. alindasue says:

BORG7 said, ” No administration can bring prosperity back. It’s all about time, hopefully!”

Exactly. Note how the economic plans of both the Republican and Democrat presidents involve changes that take place over a decade or more. That’s because behind the speeches and hyperbole, they both understand that time is what is really needed to completely improve the economy. It’s not going to completely happen overnight and probably won’t happen during the next term – regardless of who is in office.

13. alindasue says:

In my last post I meant the “Republican and Democrat presidential candidates”. Sorry for the typo.

14. Candles16 says:

Four years ago this country was in an economic death spiral, on the verge of total economic collapse. Wall St was in a meltdown and the housing market had collapsed.

Of course we are better off now than four years ago. We don’t have to worry about a pending depression or the endless wars we were in.

Just look at the stock market – its has almost doubled in the last four years.

Even Mitty admitted its getting better before.

You know Mitty is a lot better off – His stock portfolio has doubled, too.

Quit whining, quit lying and quit being such wimps.

15. taxedenoughintacoma says:

read here how obama inflation is hurting seniors and why are they quite about their suffering?

16. the3rdpigshouse says:

If anyone believes it is bad in the USA today – give “OH-Bummer” another 4 years and you won’t recognize your country!!! The marxist/socialist will turn this country into a redistribution socialist pit of dependency!!

17. took14theteam says:

Kum-ba-ya, my lord, kum-ba-ya

“3. cost of heathcare skyrocketed”

“It was already quite high in 2008. Our insurance premiums increased, but no more than they had when President Bush as in office.”

So health insurance premiums increases around 30% a year under Mr.Bush? Pretty sure the effect of Obamacare is what caused your rates to go up recently.

“6. Food prices through the roof”

They have increased a bit, but not “through the roof”.

Increased a bit? Do you even buy food?

Double is not through the roof?

We know you are a flower child, but come on. Admit the “Hope and Change” president is a failure.

Kum-ba-ya, my lord, kum-ba-ya

18. A321196 says:

Compared to four years ago I’m doing just fine! Why? Because I lived within my income. I did not buy expensive cars and homes I did not need or could afford. I always planned my wife and I could live on one income, and, if I lost my job I still could support my family. We planned for our future. We did not live in the present like there was no tomorrow. I sent the kids to college (and the wife, too)without any handouts.

You can blame Obama and next you can blame Mitt. But, in the end you can blame the person staring at you in the mirror.

Just remember the main goal of the ‘job creators’ is to maximize their profits and minimize their taxes, so THEY can live the good life-NOT YOU. If that means no health insurance, no fringe benefits, no pension plan, then of course, you will eventually become a ward of the state. If you think having Mitt in office will improve your lot, please vote for him.

19. I am a lot better off than I was four years ago. My 401K’s were in a death spiral, my businesses were collapsing because the middle class had no money to spend, and Republicans were talking about letting the auto industries in the US go belly up so they could move to China.

Republicans were angry that Boeing was questioning the tanker deal and accused our Senator Murray of being anti-American because they wanted the tanker deal to go to a Eurpoean firm wehre they had all invested.

We’ve come a long way given the pittance that the Republicans allowed to be spendt on shoring up the financial institutions and the auto industry, which, along with Boeing, is about the only bright spot in the manufacturing sector today due to government loans and Democrats insistence on buying American instead of Chinese.

20. LeePHilI says:

“CNSNews.com) – So far, during the presidency of Barack Obama, the price of a gallon of gasoline has jumped 83 percent, according to data from the Bureau of Labor Statistics.

During the same period, the price of ground beef has gone up 24 percent and price of bacon has gone up 22 percent.”

Now, mind you, this is CONSERVATIVE News Service. They don’t mention that a few months before Obama was elected, that gasoline was the highest ever.

As to “food doubling” as stated by the Hyperbolic Hypocrite….”24%” and “22%” aren’t close to “double”.

Of course, as I proved yesterday….they are not too good at math….

21. alindasue says:

taxedenoughintacoma,

For the record, my preferred candidate this time was Jon Huntsman. Barack Obama may not have all the answers, but his policies are better than Mitt Romney’s. If Jon Huntsman were still running, I’d vote for him. He’s not, so I am voting for the candidate who at least slowed the downward spiral we were left with at the beginning of 2009.

You can deny it, but things are better than they were four years ago.

22. LeePHilI says:

What Conservative News Service doesn’t tell you:

23. Hey Tuds, who bailed out the auto industry? One president bailed them out, one gave the unions a huge kickback. Go educate yourself.

Watching you guys polish a turd is priceless. Yup, everything is great. Tell BHO and the rest of America that….

Slowest and worst recovery since WWII. Trillion+ deficits every year. Divided the nation.

FLOTUS speech was great comic relief. Such a hard upbringing for BHO! Private schools, trips to Asia and Pakistan. Free rides and then he had to pay for part of college. So terrible!!!!

Any of you catch his part of the housing buuble/heartbreak in the news? No, you did not.

How is his family overseas? Is he helping them? Talk about family….

24. BigSwingingRichard says:

Welcome to the Obamanation.

25. CT8, Obama bashers have no facts and then make up things as they go along. You asked who supported the auto bailout? Well, it wasn’t Republicans for sure, and Mitt Romney was about the loudest against it. Look at any website and you will see this from 2008:

“Top Republicans heaped scorn Sunday on a plan by Democrats to spend $25 billion rescuing American automakers.” and

“The Bush administration opposes using part of the $700 billion financial rescue package to help the automakers.”

Bush loaned the industry $17.4 billion. President Obama committed $85 billion.

Banks got more than $300 billion from Bush. Which industry deserved it more? Estimates are that we will lose about $200 billion on the banks investment and will get back al of the auto iinvestment by 2015.

Bank and financial top execs continued to get high pay and bonuses. Obama required the auto execs to take big cuts and the unions froze wages and reduced other benefits,. especially for retirees.

26. Some of you republicans have become such whiners that you’re embarrassing your own party. Aren’t you the party of, “Do it yourself”? and “Let’em die”? You spend more time Obama bashing than you do trying to actually fix your own problems…it’s become your crutch. As long as you can pretend a big bad wolf is destroying America, you can avoid facing your own issues. My portfolio is doing way better than it was 4 years ago…because I used my own brains and those of a finacial planner to readjust. It isn’t rocket science.

You anti-everything posters spread your doom and gloom as a scare tactic to achieve your ultimate goal…get rid of Obama at all costs. Call him as many names as you can and throw out as many inflamatory words as possible; most of your facts are as honest as Paul Ryan’s claim to a sub 3 hour marathon and your maturity level about on par with my 2nd grade grandson.

Now, get busy and try to post more evidence to support my claims. It’s as predictable as 3rdpigs use of Oh-Bummer.

27. 200 years of history and the greedy actions of the majority
    of Americans have a lot to do with more then the last four years.
    Go to Walmart and buy a cart full of stuff from America.

28. Tuds. banks got loans. Bush kept GM strong enough to go through a normal bankruptcy, as Romney stated would have been best.

So, did BHO save them? Of course not. Bush did!

29. beerBoy says:

How Republicans Went Crazy, Democrats Became Useless and the Middle Class Got Shafted

Bill Moyers: But what do we do about it? Nothing seems to tame the power of money in politics.

Mike Lofgren: The only thing that will achieve it is fundamental political reform. And the only way you’re going to get that is mass defection from the parties. Because the parties simply do not serve our interests anymore.

30. beerBoy says:

One example would be banks that we are bailing out. Why not compensation limits on their CEOs and top executives? We didn’t get that. But we did get limits on the compensation and the benefits of U.A.W. employees when we bailed out General Motors and Chrysler.

ibid.

31. beerBoy says:

Matt Taibbi Reveals How Romney Made His Fortune — It Ain’t Pretty, and He Shouldn’t Be Proud of It
    “Earned” is a very generous way to put it.

Matt Taibbi writes, quote, “what most voters don’t know is the way Mitt Romney actually made his fortune: by borrowing vast sums of money that other people were forced to pay back. This is the plain, stark reality that has somehow eluded America’s top political journalists for two consecutive presidential campaigns: Mitt Romney is one of the greatest and most irresponsible debt creators of all time,” Taibbi writes. He goes on to say, “In the past few decades, in fact, Romney has piled more debt onto more unsuspecting companies, written more gigantic checks that other people have to cover, than perhaps all but a handful of people on [planet] Earth.”

32. beerBoy says:

We are worse off than we were EIGHT years ago but better than FOUR years ago.

Romney would bring us back, not forward, with his “free the poor rich people” policies.

33. Dave98373 says:

“We are worse off than we were EIGHT years ago but better than FOUR years ago”
    You have it backwards. The last four years have been brutal. And at some point, Obama has to take ownership and stop blaming previous administrations. He comes off as whiny and ineffective when he refuses to accept his own flawed policies.
    However, The biggest problem Obama created for himself was at the beginning of his term when he totally alienated any possible bipartisanship compromises (remember his speech to Republicans
    who need to “ride in the back of the bus?”). Even Bill Clinton understood the importance of bringing together both parties. Obama is in a league way over his head…and sadly, it took four years for most people to see it.

34. menopaws says:

Great job rudy1 !!!!!! Most of us remember just how bad things were……And, we thank this President for bringing us back from the brink. Like you, my husband and I are doing MUCH better than we were under Bush…….Everything wrong in the lives of some of these bloggers gets blamed on our President……Not their own greed or stupidity……..So, tired of all their whining and the sheer mean of their politics…..My rule this election–don’t vote rude, don’t vote mean…………..Lots of us are fed up with the whining right!!!!! Thanks for nailing them…..

35. Dave98373 says:

“My rule this election–don’t vote rude, don’t vote mean…” But its OK for you to get mean in your last blog calling people stupid and other names?
    Quite a hypocratic world you live in!

36. mojjonation says:

The GOP has no answers and no chance this November. With an aging public and Captain Cut and Slash as VP, Mitt signed his own political death certificate. GOP Motto: When all else fails, and you have no answers… deflect, defer, and lay blame. If character assassination is what they perceive as their only option, they truly have nothing to stand on.

37. Trueblue22 says:

“The GOP has…no chance this November”
    If that statement were true, there would be no need for all the debate in these blogs. The fact that people have to defend and justify the “Hope and Change” policy, is proof that Obama is very likely to lose this election. Obama certainly does not have the youth vote this election. The youth is too busy looking for work and ways to pay their college loans while iving with thier parents.

38. LeePHilI says:

“After two one-year extensions of his J-1 visa, Lolo returned to Indonesia in 1966, followed sixteen months later by his wife and stepson in 1967, with the family initially living in a Menteng Dalam neighborhood in the Tebet subdistrict of south Jakarta, then from 1970 in a wealthier neighborhood in the Menteng subdistrict of central Jakarta.[16] From ages six to ten, Obama attended local Indonesian-language schools: St. Francis of Assisi Catholic School for two years and Besuki Public School from one and half years, supplemented by English-language Calvert School home schooling by his mother.[17] Obama went by the name Barry Soetoro during his time in Indonesia.

Obama returned to Honolulu to live with his maternal grandparents, Madelyn and Stanley Dunham, and with the aid of a scholarship attended Punahou School, a private college preparatory school, from fifth grade until his graduation from high school in 1979.[18] Obama lived with his mother and sister in Hawaii for three years from 1972 to 1975 while his mother was a graduate student in anthropology at the University of Hawaii.[19] Obama chose to stay in Hawaii with his grandparents for high school at Punahou when his mother and sister returned to Indonesia in 1975 to begin anthropology field work.[20] His mother spent most of the next two decades in Indonesia, divorcing Lolo in 1980 and earning a Ph.D. in 1992, before dying in 1995 in Hawaii following treatment for ovarian cancer and uterine cancer.

That is what CT calls “trips to Indonesia and Pakistan”. As rational adults can see, Obama was scholarshipped to “private schools”, with exception of the Catholic schools. (I’m sure they were posh)

There is no need for honesty from the Reicht Wing. Anyone trying to mock Michelle Obama’s speech is a complete fool. Even FOX gave her a rave review.

39. LeePHilI says:

“(remember his speech to Republicans
    who need to “ride in the back of the bus?”)

Nope. Because he didn’t say that….except in the mind of Obama Haters.

“Finally we got this car up on level ground. And, yes, it’s a little beat up. It needs to go to the body shop. It’s got some dents; it needs a tune-up. But it’s pointing in the right direction. And now we’ve got the Republicans tapping us on the shoulder, saying, we want the keys back.

You can’t have the keys back. You don’t know how to drive. You can ride with us if you want, but you got to sit in the backseat. We’re going to put middle-class America in the front seat. We’re looking out for them.”

I guess Republicans don’t realize only one can drive the car…..

40. LeePHilI says:

Trueblue….are you saying that Obama outsourced youth jobs??????

41. Trueblue22 says:

@LeePee–“are you saying that Obama outsourced youth jobs??????”
    I never mentioned outsourcing. You may want to read before you type…or have another cup of coffee!!

42. beerBoy says:

You were foreclosed upon because you weren’t making payments that you agreed to BEFORE you were underwater. Your credit rating dropped because you stopped making payments and got foreclosed on. Not sure why you think you should be extended another mortgage when you just demonstrated that you were unwilling or unable to honor your debt on your previous mortgage.

When the housing bubble was inflating I resisted the urge to pay what I knew were ridiculously exorbitant prices and rented. The bubble burst and then I bought. Don’t blame the Obama because you made a bad investment thinking that the unsustainable gains in the Market were going to continue forever.

43. beerBoy says:

buying another property for seven years is out of the question

Missed that…..you declared bankruptcy and are whining because you think you, like the big banks, shouldn’t have to have any consequences when your speculations crashed.

Gotta love the “free Market” folks who think the “free” means they can get their money for nothing and not be responsible when their risky speculations don’t work out.

44. LeePHilI says:

Oh…how cute…someone has a new name….

OK…you didn’t say Obama outsourced….I get it now, it’s Obama’s fault that college prices and interest on student loans are so high…

Yeah…that’s the ticket…..Obama raised the college prices, increased the cost of loans and outsourced all the jobs that kids are looking for.

Luckily those “kids” can stay on mom and dad’s insurance plan…..

45. What we seem to have on this thread are a bunch of political wizards from both parties whistling as they pass the graveyard. View this short video to convince yourselves that neither Republicans nor Democrats have or will pose the solutions necessary to salvage what remains of our economy. Unlike politicians or political ideologues, facts don’t lie. These facts might wake some of you up.

46. Frankenchrist says:

Poor, poor Ann Romney.

We should send her some money.

47. she did not ask for any sympathy.

Hill, what is Punahou?

48. “the sheer mean of their politics…..My rule this election–don’t vote rude, don’t vote mean…………..” —

wow…this coming from one of the angriest and meanest posters on this blog? Interesting how difficult it is for some to see themselves honestly.

49. ItalianSpring says:

The libs again prove that when it comes to facts, they are meaningless when there’s a “democrat” in the White House. Stay relevant libs.

50. averageJose says:

For real sozo.

51. LeePHilI says:

And here I thought those who throw fits online and pull a “good bye cruel blog” because someone disagrees with them….were the angriest and meanest…..

52. LeePHilI says:

I wonder if Mitt’s posh school gave financial aid

53. dont move the goalposts. He went to fancy schools paid for by a banker after mom ditched him.

54. Frankenchrist says:

Notice the DNC convention, a multi-hued slice of America.

The RNC looked like a whites-only AARP convention.

55. Is there any doubt as to why Obama is President of this country? Just reading the comments of the un-enlightened masses in this column and watching the blabber mouths on CNN and MSNBC makes it very clear that the public schools have succeeded in their mission. We now know that the leftists make up about 50% of the population. I hope I live long enough to see them reap the mess that they are so eager to create.

56. hansgruber says:

I see LeePHill has taken a handout from the tax payers. Getting your supersize mortgage modified at taxpayer expense…..see the amount your mortgage was modified comes from a settlement of $25 Billion dollars that 5 Banks agreed to put to avoid fraud charges, 63% of that $25 Billion (That’s $15.75 Billion) comes from TAXPAYER dollars, thanks to the Obama Admin to look good for re-election.

See, I did not over buy and my mortgage is well under the current value (My home value is 50% less of what the market value was and 33% less on assessed value) so I will not be rewarded for being a good steward of fiscal responsibility and not be offered tax payer handouts.

And Lee, your welcome.

57. Frankenchrist says:

“Mitt Romney has so little economic patriotism that even his money needs a passport,” charged former Ohio Gov. Ted Strickland in his fiery speech Tuesday night. “It summers on the beaches of the Cayman Islands and winters on the slopes of the Swiss Alps”

How true.

58. CT8 – Wall Street and the Banks got bailouts NOT loans. The rest of you Bush Saved US rants are pure lies.

Dave – head out of sand time – Congress (mainly republicans) is to blame for our debt/economic problems and for their failing to take necessary steps to solve the problems.

Frosty – the truly unenlightened hack for the GOP and other Un-American right wing groups.

59. Be thankful for Mitt Romney and others who pay taxes to support the welfare state that you want. Without people like him, all of your aspirations for a dependent population would die on the vine. It’s funny how liberals are always bashing the very people who pay for the welfare state that they dream of. But again, trying to understand the brain of a liberal is a useless endeavor.

60. hansgruber, you nailed it! LeePHill is always ranting about people collecting hand-outs, now he has let the cat out of the bag. LOL

61. xring, the only “un-Americans” I know of are you commie liberals.

62. Frankenchrist says:

“you commie liberals”

Wow, just wow.

63. x, Bush facilitated loans. Turned a profit for the govt. BHO handed out kickbacks.

I could waste time provng this but A) you will ignore it and keep lying, B) you should know his already.

Who saved GM?

64. MyBandito says:

Things are not as good as we’d hoped they would be with four years of Obama, but when you’re in a downward spiral just getting things back on an even keel can be a job in itself. And considering that the Republicans are doing whatever they can to make sure that Obama doesn’t succeed, it’s a wonder that we’re even doing as well as we are.

But, Romney is not the answer to OUR economic problems.

65. he did worse than every other president dealing with a recession. Enough excuses

66. MyBandito says:

We have lost manufacturing base to use as a source of job recovery. People like Romney saw to that.

67. Seattle reported they are in the black! Sales tax, transportation, small business model, etc., now compare Pierce County, anti-transportation, businesses moving out of the county, small businesses being protested, no wonder we will stay in the Red for years to come!

68. philichi says:

69. hansgruber says:

Hey CT8 how much income tax has GM paid since 2008?

70. don’t know. But they will not be paying any for a while

Some loophole.

71. MyBandito says:

“The Detroit News reported Friday GM earned profits of $1 billion in January through March but may not have a federal tax bill to pay “for many more years.”

The tax-free years are the result of GM’s stint in bankruptcy in 2009.

The newspaper reported the Treasury Department gave GM permission to use the $18 billion in losses from the pre-bankruptcy company, the so-called old GM, to cancel out any profits it has made since it emerged from bankruptcy.

In essence, GM would have to make $1 billion for 18 consecutive quarters before the federal government, which bailed out the company, sees a nickel in income tax from GM.

GM, however, said it pays “significant” state taxes and has a 13 percent worldwide tax rate.

Ford Motor Co. spokesman Todd Nissen said Ford does not reveal its tax bills per country, although it paid $268 million in worldwide income taxes in 2011 on income of $7.8 billion.

The third of Detroit’s Big 3, Chrysler Group, is set up as a limited liability partnership, so the company does not pay any federal income tax, either.

Instead, Chrysler’s owners pay federal income tax, while the company pays state and foreign taxes, which totaled $92 million in 2011.”

Read more: http://www.upi.com/Business_News/2012/05/04/GMs-federal-income-tax-bill-Zilch/UPI-97811336160538/#ixzz25cKSxbtI

72. hansgruber says:

So CT8, are really happy that Obama “saved GM” now knowing they basically are a profit earning tax free company now?

Wow, the way libs talk, you would have thought President Romney would have struck this deal, not President Obama and his tax the wealthy companies & individuals.

73. Not sure where you are coming from, but it is obvious the tax payer got screwed. Not to mention the bond holders and other stakeholders not in favor of the admin.

74. It is interesting that conservatives say they liked it better when all the economic indicators were pointing down, way down, and the bottom was falling out of our economy rather than now, when the economic indicators are pointing up and most sectors of the economy are improving.

Could it be related to the frequent studies that show that conservatives have a psychological need to make facts fit their preconcieved decisions rather than looking at the facts first?

Yet another study has recently been published that reinforces this idea that conservatives either ignore any facts that show they may be wrong or they misinterpret facts and change their meaning to fit their preconceived notions.

Obama = bad, so any facts contrary to that notion must be ignored or misinterpreted.

“In the study, Liu and Ditto report, conservatives tilted their views of the facts to favor their moral convictions”

Conservatives had a “feeling of discomfort with uncertainty and the need to hold a firm belief, a firm conviction, unwaveringly” even when the facts were against that belief or were ambiguous.

75. Obama saved GM in order to save American Jobs.

Romney would have let GM go under and sent the jobs overseas.

76. Yes, conservatives just loved it better four years ago when the headlines were all touting what a wonderful life we have and how Bush made everything rosy:

‘Great Depression’ closer than U.S. admits, report finds [Pittsburgh Tribune-Review, September 27, 2008]

Will Bush become the new Hoover? [Politico, September 19, 2008]

Developers bend under housing meltdown [Colorado Springs Gazette, September 27, 2008]

Depression seen possible [Florida News-Press, September 27, 2008]

Wall Street Meltdown Continues [CNN, September 17, 2008]

Is It Really the Next ‘Great Depression’? [NPR, September 19, 2008]

Behind Closed Doors, Warnings of Calamity [The New York Times, September 20, 2008]

77. Alindasue wrote: “Gas was more than $2 per gallon four years ago in August/September 2008 or when President Obama took office January 2009. It has not doubled.”
    _______________________________________________________

78. hansgruber says:

@Xring-

Before filing for bankruptcy in July 2009, GM had 91,000 employees in the United States.

Three years ago his administration invested more than $100 billion in taxpayer money to bail out General Motors to save 91,000 jobs is over $1 Million per job.

Yep, we got screwed

79. oldoc, that “doubling” of gas prices statement is credited to Jindal, who got it

80. well, my computer hiccupped:

Jindal got it very wrong when he claimed gas prices had doubled under Obama:

Jindal said on Fox and Friends: “The reality is, gasoline prices have doubled under this president, highest prices for oil and gasoline in a 150 years. People used to think it was because of incompetence from Obama administration on energy – I think it’s because of ideology. They’re pursuing a radical environmental ideology,”

In fact, the monthly average retail price of gasoline peaked at $4.26 a gallon in inflation-adjusted dollars in June 2008. It then plummeted to $1.80 a gallon in the next six months during the global financial collapse.

Presidents have little to do with the price of gas – global economics play a much bigger role, but please credit Bush for having the highest prices ever.

81. aislander says:

Even if we buy tud’s tortured “logic,” I’m afraid we won’t have to wait long for the Bamster to surpass Bush not only in deficits (and that’s not even close!), but in gas prices, as well…

82. itwasntmethistime says:

A quick jaunt through the recorded documents section of the assessor’s website shows that there is only one Newitt with a deed of trust, and it isn’t Monika. Perhaps she got married, or divorced, so there is a deed of trust with her maiden name instead. Maybe, but a super quick search of readily available public data shows that she didn’t get married in Pierce County, didn’t get divorced in the state of Washington, and that her name does exist because she got a few traffic tickets over the past few years.

In short, I think she is a big fat liar. I suspected it right away since anyone with an 800 credit score and money in retirement accounts knows they are not “forced” into foreclosure. Not being able to find any evidence to support her claim seals it up for me.

83. averageJose says:

in inflation-adjusted dollars

LMAO! wait until the current crisis is “adjusted”. ;)

84. Hans,
    By saving 91,000 jobs at GM;
    How many automotive related support and supply jobs were saved?
    How many auto-sells and service jobs were saved?
    How many non-automotive jobs did those 91,000 workers support and save?

85. LeePHilI says:

comcast is now in the journalism business????????
    ————————

Obama wasn’t in office on January 19th.

What was the price of gas in July of 2008? Whose fault was that?

86. LeePHilI says:

“philichi says:
    Sep. 5, 2012 at 10:08 am I see that there are a lot more posters now. They all seem to write a lot more. I assume that less have jobs in the Obama era. This way they have a lot more time to do other things.”

e tu, philichi?

87. “The RNC looked like a whites-only AARP convention”

really? So some can’t see themselves honestly and some just plain can’t see I guess.

Perhaps Hill, you can copy and paste posts of mine that sound angry and mean? I’m certainly not above meaness, but I think you’d have a hard time making a case for me being either angry OR mean as a rule.

As for my leaving the blog, did I say I was leaving for good? Probably should; the break was refreshing. Why does it concern you?

88. I wrote: “The national average for a gallon of gasoline on January 19, 2009 was $1.85. It has doubled Linda Sue.”
    __________________________________________________

LeeP chirped: Obama wasn’t in office on January 19th.
    __________________________________________________

Judging from his claims on another thread, LeeP fancies himself as quite a mathematician but can’t seem to recall that his hero was inaugurated on January 20th, 2009. I am furnishing the information so that he can subtract $1.85 from $3.82 (today’s national avg.) and provide us with the accurate solution to the rise in gas prices and whether it has doubled during the Obama Presidency. Step right up LeeP and warm up the old abacus.

89. LeeP asked: What was the price of gas in July of 2008? Whose fault was that?
    _____________________________________________________

I think we all know who people like LeeP blamed then. Don’t we?

90. LeePHilI says:

sozo – your post calling menopaws “mean” sounded…well…mean.

Thanks for asking my opinion.

91. beerBoy says:

Are we better off now than 4 years ago? Well….it depends upon what you are looking at:

As of July, Obama is averaging +0.84 percent annual job growth in his term. That places him ahead of Bush, who saw +0.51 percent growth in his first term and -0.84 percent in his second term. Obama is also tracking better than George H.W. Bush, who presided over +0.69 percent growth during his one term in the White House.

Interestingly enough Carter – who that question was first addressed about – had jobs creation numbers (+2.30 percent) better than either of the Bush presidencies.

92. hansgruber says:

@xring – about 400,000 thousand including GM so now it only cost the The US Tax payer a mere $250,000 per job to save GM.

Still feeling like you got screwed? After investing $100 Billion dollars to save GM, it is now worth $34 Billion now. A net loss of $66 Billion for the tax payers.

93. LeePHilI says:

Did someone want to deny the demographics of the GOP?

::::waiting for the “leftist publication” label::::::

4 GOP women in the Senate, 17 in the House

18 women in the Senate, 78 women in the House

GOP has majority of seats in House, Dems, a slight edge in Senate.

Do the math.

With Olympia Snowe leaving, and Angus King replacing her, the GOP women are certain to be one less, unless they can take a seat somewhere else in the country.

There’s no “war on women”….just an ignorance to the subject.

94. BB, still trying to polish that turd? After a deep economic downturn, a recovery is natural. The incredible part about this recovery is how slow and painful it is.

8.3% unemployment. Income down. Home prices down. Energy prices up. $6tril in new debt (with no end in sight).

Stick to the social issues. At those are harder to quantify.

By the way, the flip-flop on God and Israel at the DNC was priceless. Those ‘boos’ are going to cost a lot of votes and add zero.

95. Hill, where is your outrage at the pay disparity on BHO’s reelection committee?

96. LeePHilI says:

“CT8 says:
    Sep. 5, 2012 at 3:20 pm Hill, where is your outrage at the pay disparity on BHO’s reelection committee?”

Where is your proof?

::::waiting for American Thinker::::::

97. LeePHilI says:

“By the way, the flip-flop on God and Israel at the DNC was priceless”

That talking point started last night with Greta Van FOXcrap and they have been using it all day, every chance they get.

I’m fine with “God” and “Israel” not being part of the Dem platform. I don’t do mythology and Israel needs to learn to take care of itself.

Home prices were up last month, CT. If you’re going to claim something, at least attempt to be current and accurate.

98. aislander says:

99. LeePHilI says:

“aislander says:
    Sep. 5, 2012 at 3:34 pm So…why are there fewer people working now than when the Bamster was immaculated?”

Why are we losing less jobs than we were when Obama took office?

100. LeePHilI says:

Why was the stock market so low when Obama took over in 2009?

Why is the stock market twice as high today?

101. “Why is there less unemployment now, than there was early in Obama’s administration? (October 2009)”

Wow.

Hill- the admin, not his campaign. I think I am correct on both, but did not find it right aaway.

102. Here you go. Notice the data is from the FEC, before you cry about the source

103. aislander says:

Fewer people working equals less unemployment?

Wow! THAT has to be Keynesian math.

As the philosopher i-am-jimm might say: Kooky!

104. Why was the stock market so low when Obama took over in 2009?

Liquidity crisis, shock, oversold

Why is the stock market twice as high today?

TARP fixed the liquidity crisis, market stablized.

105. menopaws says:

Go to the FOX NEWS website and read Sally Kohn’s article….Fox News or not–she calls Ryan a serial liar and a serious mistake on the part of Romney. Then she takes apart Ryan’s speech at the RNC piece by piece, lie after lie…….Guess not all of those on the right are that crazy about the way he alters the truth…………there are those of us who remember just how bad it was in the fall of 2008……..Sorry you can’t continue to buy over-priced houses and giant gas guzzling SUV’s………..Part of life’s learning curve…..and, to those of you who didn’t learn from what happened—your troubles are your own……NO politician can make you learn how to manage your finances.
    Pay attention–the lady works for FOX…and she ain’t impressed by Mr. Ryan’s casual attitudes towards telling the truth….Fascinating to read, considering where it came from…….Roger Ailes must sniff something in the wind……

106. aislander says:

Sally Kohn is a hard-left harridan who happens to work for Fox News, and her views are her own and those of Kim Jong-un…

I’m surprised, meno, that you seem to believe that the Fox aegis lends credibility to Kohn. That seems out of character given some of your previous “analyses” of Fox…

107. I wrote: “The national average for a gallon of gasoline on January 19, 2009 was $1.85. It has doubled Linda Sue.”
    __________________________________________________

LeeP chirped: Obama wasn’t in office on January 19th.
    __________________________________________________

___________________________________________________

LeeP leaped right in with: You don’t need an abacus to know that Obama wasn’t in office on January 19, 2009. You need a calendar.
    ___________________________________________________

Wassa matter LeeP…..$3.82 minus $1.85=???? Couldn’t you find the solution on your calender? You are a definite tool that could use a bit of sharpening. I am now through jousting with a moron.
    ___________________________________________________
    —————————————————

108. Taxedenoughintacoma writes, “Noobama in 2012. He has to go. This wacky state will vote for him but we are inhabited by a majority of lost souls.”

Exactly…Well said truth!

Of course these “lost souls” in this “wacky state” in their holy self righteousness carry the silly notion that the rest of the country thinks like they do! HAAA!

109. beerBoy says:

BB, still trying to polish that turd?

Nope….just citing statistics. And responding to the letter’s claim that we aren’t better off than we were 4 years ago.

2008-2012 jobs growth = .84%
    2004-2008 jobs loss = -.84%
    2000-2004 jobs growth = .51%

Now…..Obama’s jobs numbers are anemic but, to claim that they were better under Bush (either one) isn’t based in reality.

btw – what is it with you Rightists and scatological references?

110. averageJose says:

… coming from the author of the post describing what the name of the governor of Idaho reminds him of. Priceless.

111. averageJose says:

Yes Monika, we ARE worse off than we were 4 years ago.

112. MyBandito says:

No, we’re not! But you want everyone to think so.

113. aislander says:

145,362; 139,877; 139,064; 139,869

Those are the numbers in millions of employed Americans for the years 2008-2011. Even more telling are the percentages of people employed, which went steadily downward from 62.2 to 58.4.

Looking at these numbers from the Bureau of Labor Statistics, how can any HONEST person maintain that the regime increased employment in any way if the latest total is lower than that for the admin’s first year?

114. SwordofPerseus says:

‘slander said; “145,362; 139,877; 139,064; 139,869
    Those are the numbers in millions of employed Americans for the years 2008-2011.”

‘slander you do realize, wordsmith that you are, that 145,362 million is 20 times the world population. Slow down on the Martinis.

115. aislander says:

Any sentient person would know that meant 145 million, 363 thousand, etc.

But if you prefer thousands, have it that way.

Now make an important point…

116. took14theteam says:

-I thought those who throw fits online and pull a “good bye cruel blog”

Menopaws said she was done with this place a few months ago, yet she is baaaaacckkk…

-Presidents have little to do with the price of gas

Yes, when they are DeomocRATic, they get no blame. When they are Republican, they get blame. We understand.

Hey tuddo, where have you been? I almost forgot about you till you resurfaced.

Average gasoline price on Jan 20, 2009:

$1.898 per gallon

I think BHO was president that day….

Sumone has some math to do…….

But, I have myself anchored down for the tilt-a-wheel that will be coming.

117. LeePHilI says:

“took14theteam says:
    Sep. 5, 2012 at 6:55 pm -I thought those who throw fits online and pull a “good bye cruel blog”

I knew it couldn’t last. I had hoped…but I knew better.

So much for hope for change.

———————

LMAO……

Aislander – do you realize that the unemployment rate was 8.3% during Obama’s first month in office and it’s 8.3% today? That means no net growth in unemployment during the past 3 years and 9 months. Why do you make up numbers?

118. LeePHilI says:

By the way……The speech was Classic Clinton!!!

BTW – a little internet fact….

“The highest recorded gas price for unleaded auto during the terms of George W. Bush was $7.85 per gallon in the summer of 2008.”

Yes….$7.48 per gallon!!!

Did I mention that unemployment rose 185% (4.2 to 7.8) during the Bush Administration?

And those were supposedly “the good old days before Obama”.

What’s so good about $7.48 a gallon and 185% unemployment increases?

119. aislander says:

“Why do you make up numbers?”

Why are you such a tool?

120. Is Bush running for office or someone running on his record?

121. Hill, since I proved BHO a hypocrite I expect you to burn your ballot.

How are you feeling about his gender pay gap? I see you tried to bury your head in the sand again.

122. LeePHilI says:

CT8 – do you know what “comparable job” means? Of course you don’t.

Your new buddies and the new conservative blog are not very good with numbers (big surprise). Their comparison of male and female wages was not for comparable jobs. You know…apples and apples….

Only the rubes from the right fall for crap like that. Thanks for reaffirming the fact.

aislander says:
    Sep. 5, 2012 at 9:23 pm “Why do you make up numbers?”
    Why are you such a tool?
    The numbers are from the Bureau of Labor Statistics, AS I SAID, and there are fewer Americans working now than when Obama took office.”

Sorry, Tool, you are the “tool”. You are playing a game with the numbers and I’m calling you on it.

February 2009 (Obama’s first complete month in office) – 8.3%

This month – 8.3%

Now try your lie. Oh wait…I can pull a Clinton on this….

“Ya see, folks. They aren’t tellin’ ya that they are tagging President Obama with the unemployment from January 2009 when he only served the last 11 days of the month in office. I tell ya, folks, they sure must think I’m just a dumb country boy from Arkansas…..”

Save your crap for the rubes on the right, aislander. We leftists are too good at “rithmetic” for you to pull your misdirection plays.

The fact is that in February 2009 until today, there is net ZERO gain on unemployment and considering that it was as high as 10% in October of 2009, Obama’s administration is responsible for a net REDUCTION of 17% in total unemployment since October 2009.

Now, much like your constipation – work THAT out with a pencil.

123. LeePHilI says:

Oh…sorry CT. I shouldn’t use big words like “comparable”.

OK..it’s like this.

If Obama hired me to manage his campaign, that is worth a certain wage.

Now, if you were hired to clean the toilets that is important, but is worth much less.

I know it helps to have an explanation that covers something you understand, to make thing make sense.

Considering that the women on his campaign are collectively paid 3% less on average (look it up, silly…), I’m thinking that their jobs must have required some serious talents, but not have been worth as much as top level executive positions which would skew the ratio higher on one side.

Oh heck…there I go again…confusing you with numbers and math…

124. Someone has no idea how the rate is calculated.

Educate yourself Hill. When people stop looking for work, they are no longer “unemployed”.

And lets not forget the different rates published. Come Hill, be better.

The mixed message from the left is classic. Today it is terrible, all Bush’s fault. Yesterday it was great, thanks to the failed policies of dems and the ‘multiplier effect’ of food stamps.

125. “If Obama hired me to manage his campaign, that is worth a certain wage.

Now, if you were hired to clean the toilets that is important, but is worth much less”

A) given your wild rants you would not only be a liability, but worthless to a campaign.
    B) FLOTUS just told us how important janitors are
    C) So they do not give high level positions to women? Sexists!

126. aislander says:

LPG seems to be becoming strident. Stress: it’s a killer.

According to the BLS (http://www.bls.gov/cps/cpsaat01.htm) there are fewer Americans now working than when the regime entered, stage LEFT.

You can bluster all you want, but you are proving only that you are not the sharpest tool in the box…

127. beerBoy says:

Those of you who insist that Bush shouldn’t be discussed on this thread should scroll upthread and look at the headline for this letter. By making the claim that we aren’t better off than we were four years ago the topic of this thread REQUIRES us to discuss what was going on under the Bush Administration.

128. LeePHilI says:

aislander says:
    Sep. 5, 2012 at 11:01 pm No one is holding the Bamster responsible for the unemployment level when he was immaculated, but he owns the current one.

“aislander says:

The figures don’t lie. The percentages are exactly the same – first month of Obama’s Administration versus today.

Deflect as you will, you are still perpetrating a lie.

129. LeePHilI says:

“CT8 says:
    Sep. 5, 2012 at 10:28 pm Someone has no idea how the rate is calculated.”

Well then…I guess aislander’s submission of stats is no good, huh?

Of course, I’m certain that you know more about unemployment than I do…

130. What is wrong with you Lee? There are less people working. It is just too convient for you to ignore how it is calculated.

Stop deflecting.

BB, Bush is not running. No one is calling for a continuation of his policies minus tax rates. He is bashed by both sids for his big spending. If anything BHO has pushed Bush’s policies. Stimulus, spending, etc.

131. LeePHilI says:

“No one is calling for a continuation of his policies minus tax rates.”

False. Obama submitted a tax increase for the wealthy and the Republicans want no change from the Bush tax cuts.

8.3% is a lot less than 8.3%?????

No wonder you don’t comprehend math and budgets.

132. aislander says:

So…THIS is why lefties have so little understanding of business–they don’t know the difference between “gross” and “net.”

Why deal with a percentage (the unemployment rate) that is subject to interpretation and manipulation? Just look at the number of people with jobs: it’s either more, less, or the same for the times being compared.

IF the regime’s “jobs-created” number is legit, then no one is subtracting “jobs lost” and counting only the gross rather than the net, which is the only meaningful number.

133. LeePHilI says:

8.3 is 8.3

There is nothing subject to “manipulation”, other than those trying to tag Obama with the unemployment that he inherited.

Yeah….I know….poor old Bush.

If there were 1,000,000 unemployed on January 19, 2001, chances of them becoming employed on January 20th, are rather slim, aren’t they?

Like I said…save it for the rubes on the right. They don’t have an education.

Why not focus on the increase in unemployment from 2001 (4.2 a reasonable amount) to 2008 (7.8) – a 185% increase? When you consider that since Obama took over, there has been relatively no increase (with exception of a small bump in late 2009) in unemployment, that’s an amazing feat, since the previous administration showed increases every month for 8 years!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

134. averageJose says:

I predict another DVT event for sum-one.

135. beerBoy says:

ct – if you are going to bash Obama by comparing him to 4 years ago you have to mention the previous president (who will not be named by GOPloyalists).

136. Are you planning on running against Bush for 4 years, 8 years, 16 years? At what point do you actually hold some one responsible. He had 4 years. Failed.

I personally think the Bush attacks will backfire. Keep it up. Compared to Fast and Furious Obama he was fantastic. They both share one common fault; not telling dem in congress to act for America. Bush tried to fix fannie and freddie, and your boy Barney did nothing. He relied on Nancy and harry. No need to expand on that.

137. aislander says:

I’m NOT comparing Jan. 19, 2009 to Jan. 20, 2009.

How simple does it have to be for you to get that?

138. Actually the Dems are running against Romney and his policies which are nothing more that doubling down on all of Bush’s failed policies.

139. X, which economic policies has BHO changed?

140. Given the choice of either managing Obama’s campaign or cleaning toilets, paycheck aside, integrity (and nobility) would demand that I take the toilet gig, but for the record, I think it revealing that some of you think managing BO’s campaign is actually “more imporant” than basic sanitation.

Speaking of which, I’m hoping the voters do some serious housecleaning in November. Do it for your kids and grandkids!

141. Surely no one finds the comment above “mean?” Right? If you do, you are taking yourself far to seriously.

142. Sozo – sort of like helping their Dad get elected was equal to Military Service for the Romney Boys.

143. aislander says:

xring writes: “My grandkids and their grandkids are the reason I, and the rest of my family, will be voting for Obama.”

Then you must be expecting miracles from Obama and nothing from your descendants…

144. aislander says:

I didn’t see the dead-tree edition of the Trib until early this afternoon and–mirabile dictu!–there is a story that makes exactly the point about fewer Americans working now than when the Bamster was immaculated as I was TRYING to make to LPG.

It’s in the “A” section, P’ill…

145. averageJose says:

Too funny.

146. LeePHilI says:

“aislander says:
    Sep. 6, 2012 at 9:00 am I’m NOT comparing Jan. 19, 2009 to Jan. 20, 2009.
    I’m comparing the number of people working when Obama took office to the number of people working NOW!”

According to that statistical data, the unemployment rate In February 2009 and July 2012 (latest) are identical.

How can more people have been working in February 2009 than July 2012, when the unemployment percentage is identical?

Must be Ryan Math….the same math that saves Medicare by destroying it.

147. LeePHilI says:

Ask Osama Bin Laden if he’s better off than he was four years ago.\

::::tip of the hat to John Kerry:::::

148. He lived one extra year because Obama waited for VJ to say OK. Even then he needed a nap to make the decision.

149. took14theteam says:

Can you get the same percentage number from two different sets of numbers? Can Can A and B give X% as well as C and D giving X% (where X% is the same number, for the deniers)? I wonder…..

150. aislander says:

Wall: meet PHill. PHill: wall. Talk it out…

151. The fact checkers are going to blast Gaffe Biden’s speech.

The insurance line about BHO’s mother? Come on. And come back stories are great. But to claim that every dem has had a life of hardship, when BHO grew up on a banker’s money is just comical. More class warfare junk.

Thank you Hillary for saying “no”. Let’s not forget Joe said no to the Biden hit.

As to GM, Bush already bailed out their financial arm. Please keep bringing up the stimulus!

152. beerBoy says:

Mitt cares about our military as much as he talked about them in his speech……zero.

153. aislander says:

Libs ARE math-challenged.

I recall trying to drive home that an increase from, say, 6% to 9% was NOT a 3% increase, but a 50% increase. I think Polago finally got it–and was man enough to admit it–but none of the others did.

154. After the failed DNC, they are stuck on ‘but Mitt said nothing about the troops!’. Let’s be honest here, the republican party is the party of national defense and patriotism. The servicemen know who cut their budget and threatened their hard earned benefits.

Mitt focused on jobs and the economy. On plans and action, not rhetoric. The troops know the truth. Ask those who cannot vote early thanks to the admin who cares about servicemen.

Great job with Fluke and Slick Willie. Did nothing but show BHO is bi govt freebies and not as good as the previous dem.

Clint mocked an empty chair and the effect worked, libs everywhere are in panic mode.

As these letters show the only positive was some guy’s daughter still in diapers.

I really liked the images in the background. Like people think his face belongs on that hill after epic, history making failures. Saving an auto company after the previous president bailed them out is not a great accomplishment.

Cardinal Dolan was great. Thanks for reminding the DNC they hate the unborn and rejected God.

Bb- sure you loved the Israel flip flop. How many millions in donations did that cost the DNC? Great job FNC.

155. We must keep bring up the stimulus so CT8 can keep coming up with lies about it.

156. What “lie”? Prove it.

157. LeePHilI says:

“Thanks for reminding the DNC they hate the unborn and rejected God.”

Boy…there are a couple of issues that will save our country from economic crisis.

Just a few days ago, who was it that said “Democrats use social issues”?

Oh yeah…it was CT.

“Please keep bringing up the stimulus!”

Yeah..and don’t forget to isolate each and every Republicnn congressperson and Governor who had their picture taken with the stimulus check they got for their state. Under the picture, put the caption “the stilumus failed”

158. aislander says:

Our congressmen have two different jobs: principled (some of them, anyway) lawmakers who try to do what is best for the nation as a whole; and representatives of their constituencies who bring available benefits back to their districts.

There is no dichotomy in opposing a program but, when that program becomes law, making certain that one’s district receives whatever benefits become available.

You don’t have to be TOO sharp to understand that, unless pretending not to allows you to take a political cheap shot…

159. LeePHilI says:

Ah yes….a separate set of rules when there is money involved.

Why does it not surprise me that a con would come up with that concept?

I guess there is nothing wrong with a welfare recipient taking full advantage of all applications of the laws provided to them, huh?

Funny how the rules change, when it’s just a poor person trying to survive.

160. aislander says:

Trying to think with that blunt instrument must be like shaving with a spatula…

161. CT8 – the lie that Bush had anything to do with the GM loans.

162. aislander says:

“loans!!!???”

163. And Fluke was there to solve the economic crisis? And you are off message, the economy is great and the debt sustainable thanks to BHO.

Dems brought up those issues all on their own. No one’s fault but the DNC that they folded to pressure from FNC!!!

164. “he did worse than every other president dealing with a recession.”

That’s a lie and you know what it makes you.

At this exact same point in the Bush administration, we’d lost more than a million jobs. It took MORE THAN FIVE YEARS, after the official end of that very mild recession, for unemployment to recover. If we recover at the same rate as then, unemployment won’t recover until sometime in 2014.

165. “There are less people working.”

Another lie.

# of Americans working Feb 1, 2009 (nine days after Obama was sworn in): 132,837,000
    # of Americans working Aug 1, 2012: 133,300,000

Now, let’s compare Obama with his predecessor:
    # Americans working Feb 1, 2001: 132,529,000
    # Americans working Aug 1, 2004: 131,610,000

166. “why are there fewer people working now than when the Bamster was immaculated?”

As my previous post proves, there aren’t. You’re lying.

167. “to claim that every dem has had a life of hardship”

Nice strawman. Nobody said every democrat has had a life of hardship. Try again.

168. CT8, even Republicans do not claim that Bush bailed out the auto industry. In fact, tnhey always lay what they call the “blame” directly on Obama.

This article is the best I’ve found that outlines the facts in the counter-claims. In essence, Bush started the ball rolling and staved off immediate collapse, but did not negotiate the final deals or provide sufficient funds to “bail out” the auto makers for their recovery to be successful. That was left for Obama, going against the severe Republican criticism of his actions. Republicans are still griping (and lying) about it today.

Here is the best summary statement from the article: “Steven Rattner, who led Obama’s auto task force, credited Bush with giving his team “a little breathing room” to restructure the companies and for providing a framework of ‘expected sacrifices that paved the way for our demands for give-ups from the stakeholders.'”

Your version that Bush had already “bailed out” the auto industry is pure fantasy, and certainly one cannot have it both ways – credit Bush for bailing them out and blame Obama for bailing them out.

169. menopaws says:

Those who have family who serve in the military do NOT want them marching into Syria ala Mr. Romney’s statements……Another war we can’t pay for…so much for deficit reduction…Another Republican lie to go along with WMD????????Sozo–Telling the truth may be painful, but it is NEVER mean.

170. CT8, and here is an article early on that documents that Obama privately pressed Bush to support the auto industry and provide emergency financial aid and not leave it all to Obama.

I don’t expect you to change your opinion, but your opinion is just that, something you decided absent any factual evidence or support from historical records.

171. averageJose says:

a cnn blog is fact? Kooky.

172. I concur about truth-telling menopaws, but you, I fear, confuse your poisoned opinion with “the truth” much of the time. Like many folks today, you have bought into the notion that “your truth” is as valid as “my truth” — an absurd statement repeated frequently by the socially indoctrinated.

This blog is a testament to the mire of facts/opinions that are being manipulated on both sides to suit each’s purpose. This is why I actually concur with the over-arching statement coming out of the DNC that this year we are all faced with a very clear choice:

Forget the details for a moment and step back. Do you want to move towards a one-world, global community, Euro-socialist state? vote for Obama If not vote accordingly.

173. “Do you want to move towards a one-world, global community, Euro-socialist state?”

ROFLMAO – that’s hysterical, coming from the person who just got through saying you, I fear, confuse your poisoned opinion with “the truth” much of the time. Thanks for such a great example of unintended irony, and a great laugh!

174. took14theteam says:

Just another bucket of cherries from the DB_hills….

Nice way to cherry pick the comment from someone to try to make you sound superior.

I can tell you crave to own an IROC Z Camaro.

175. “I can tell you crave to own an IROC Z Camaro.”

ROFL – must be projection on your part. I’m very happy with my Civic.