Letters to the Editor

Your views in 200 words or less

STORES: Stop asking us to make donations

Letter by Brian Harvey, Puyallup on Aug. 20, 2012 at 12:10 pm with 18 Comments »
August 20, 2012 1:25 pm

I have been holding off on writing this, but it has gotten to the point that the continual begging by retail establishments is getting past the point of being ridiculous. In making three stops today, I was hounded by the cashiers about rounding up my purchase and donating to some unnamed charity.

This is getting old, and I have begun taking my business to other establishments that do not hound me when I make a purchase. This is not just one or two particular stores but it covers grocery stores, children stores, pet stores and convenience stores.

Corporate managers should take heed that they are going to lose business. We, the consumers, do not have any idea where the money is going. I guess it is going to have take many consumers complaining to get the point across to these stores that enough is enough.

Economic times are hard, and I am doing what I have to to make ends meet. I have my own charities that I donate to and am proud to be able to help them out.

Tags:
  1. LeePHill says:

Hounded?

Unnamed charity?

I was asked if I wanted to donate my 27 cents change to a major children’s charity and I said “sure”!!!

It was easy and it help others.

2. Brian, welcome to the new order of doing business in the good ol’ US of A. We’ve become a ‘beggar”
    society, thanks to the politics of the left.

3. lylelaws says:

Brian,

Good letter. When we can we send a few dollars to the Pierce County Humane Society, and we leave items on the porch to help the Breast Cancer cause, but I don’t like being asked for donations every time I use my debit card.

4. ImAKoala says:

Or you could just check “no” when you’re asked if you want to donate. Doesn’t seem that difficult but I guess it might be for you. One whole extra button to press. Ouch.

5. lylelaws says:

ImAKoala,

But why should I should have say “No I don’t want to donate to a great charity.” It is too much like trying make us feel guilty if we say “No”

Don’t you feel a little guilty every time you punch the no key, (I do) or do you always give every time you are asked?

6. Frankenchrist says:

lyle,

Press 1 for Spanish.

7. lylelaws says:

frankenchrist,

In response to your 2:36 comment. ?????

8. Theefrinker says:

This little question doesn’t bother me at all. It does sort of put one on the spot, becuase it’s asked in front of the whole line. One might feel pressured not to say no, and it helps that it’s only a dollar or so. I would like to see the girl scout and boy scout tables disappear at the stores though. What are cookies up to now, about six dollars per box?

9. lylelaws says:

I always give a buck or two to legitimate kids groups at the stores and thank their parents for their taking the time to come out and guide them along, but I don’t think we should be nagged by check-out-line questions.

10. Agree, this is a nuisance. There is a Dollar Store across from the South Hill Mall that is always pulling this stunt. They ask for a dollar donation and then get on their speaker system and yell some stupid announcement.

Who knows if its even for real. It could well be a scam to rake in another five hundred bucks a day for a bogus charity. I have never heard of the military families in need charity or whatever it is they are supposedly collecting for. I doubt many other customers do either. But they give simply because they say “military”.

At least the Safeway scheme looks legit. Not so at the Dollar Store.

11. Fibonacci says:

frosty
    I love how you manage to make every thing about the “left”. The stores asking for donations have nothing to do with the “right” or the “left, give it a rest.

I sometimes say yes and sometimes say no, and feel no guilt. If you have to change stores jjust because of this you have problems.

12. truthbusterguy says:

Look first at the CEO salaries of the charities supported by stores. If the CEO make 6 figures I will not donate and I go tell the store manage why I didn’t donate.

If we all did this the charities would have to address the high salaries of their CEO’s.

Look at the millions made per year by the top 25 charity CEO’s.

13. lylelaws says:

Anytime I drive by a car wash with kids soaping, scrubbing and laughing I always find a buck or two if I won’t be blocking traffic even if I don’t get a wash job.

I still remember how nice Dick ?, the owner of the service station on 112th and Canyon was 35-years-ago when he would let my son’s little league baseball teams come in and earn a few dollars as long as there were parents there to supervise.

I think of him often and fondly for helping kids who were willing to work to help themselves.

14. Fibonacci says:

truthbuster
    So, you are against CEOs making 6 figures? Since when? Becoming a leftie?

15. ImAKoala says:

I don’t feel guilty for saying no. But then, I contribute monthly to charities I support. I know I already give as much as my budget will allow. You can’t give to every cause. So no, I have no guilt for saying no.

16. truthbusterguy says:

Fibon,
    Even a communist like you know the difference between a charity and a for-profit company.

The only way I support six figure income for charity CEO’s is if they bring in 100 to 1 in donations for their cause and truly earn it. So many charities have too much overheard and depend og government subsidies to survive. Charity is just that. It is not intended to be government sponsored competition against the private industry, business and stores, like Goodwill.

Highest Paid Executive: Goodwill CEO George Kessinger, Former CEO and President
    Compensation*: $633,000

17. tree_guy says:

Brian, I think this was a good letter. The requests to round up sales to a higher amount in support of some “cause” that the shopper doesn’t have time to consider or to investigate is becoming an all too familiar annoyance. I think there is a huge potential for mischief with these collections as well.

18. itwasntmethistime says:

I don’t like it either. They ask you in front of everyone, thinking you won’t want everybody to think you’re a cheapskate.

For profit stores pretending they are helping charities is pathetic. Dollar Tree gets the profit from the item they sell you to donate AND the pat on the back for donating the item, even though you paid for it.

Value Village is the worst. They act like their mission is the same as Goodwill, to help people in the local community. They brag about donating to local charities. The real story is that they pay local charities a nominal amount to gather donations for them. So when the ARC calls you, asking for used clothing to help out people in need? Your shirt is not going on the back of a disabled man who doesn’t have a shirt. It is going up for sale at Value Village for $7, of which the ARC gets about 5 cents. Guess who gets to keep the other $6.95? I’m all in favor of recycling and re-using everything we can, it’s the misrepresentation of the charity that isn’t a charity that rubs me the wrong way.

Truthbuster — The CEO of Value Village makes 8 figures, not 6. For brilliantly posing as a charity.