Letters to the Editor

Your views in 200 words or less

ELECTION: Democrats’ feeble tax-the-rich plan

Letter by Don W. Wilbur, University Place on Aug. 17, 2012 at 11:14 am with 23 Comments »
August 17, 2012 11:47 am

The Democrats’ plan to keep control of government is to tell us they will improve the middle classes’ standard of living by taxing the rich to fund their frivolous spending, a plan the financial experts contend is not realistic.

The Democrats supplement their middle-class strategy with TV ads stating Republicans viciously kill people. The ads are unprecedented in American politics. In addition, they demand that Mitt Romney release his tax returns for multitude years while refusing transparency on their part.

A tax-the-rich plan plus denigrating Republicans does not align with a solution to America’s economic chaos.

1. Reaching a conclusion without providing a basis is ignorance at its most profound. “by taxing the rich to fund their frivolous spending” contains the conclusion I am talking about, but it is pure Wilbur so we do know what to think of it and what to do with it.
    The stock market has gone up a whole lot since President Obama came into office Don. How is it that your investments have missed out on that rise?

2. Since the average American has the majority of wealth tied to their home, the stock market will not effect their wealth as much as the housing market, inflation, and consumer prices.

Who owns the majority of liquid wealth in this country?

And do you believe BHO is responsible for the stock market gains? Thank the Fed (you know, that agency progressives see as the great evil).

3. ThinkerDem says:

Don Wilbur is a prominent Republican spokesperson and recent candidate for Precinct Committee Officer, an official (R) Party office.

4. CT7 is right. Obama is only responsible for the bad things that happened. Anything good that happened should be creditted to someone, ANYONE else!

It’s the only way to continue the hate.

5. SwordofPerseus says:

Mr. Wilbur, were you by any chance born before 1945 and also white, protestant, big fan of Rush Limbaugh, retired and Republican? Yes, I thought so.

As usual Conc7 has less than no clue and spouts unsubstantiated nonsense.

The Stock market is a major indicator of the health of the economy, as the stock market goes so does the rest of the economy.

Conc- ask yourself how did I get here?

6. CT7, he said that his investments that supplement his Social Security are negative. He is invested in the wrong stuff and it has nothing to do with his house.
    Try reading for comprehension next time or maybe admit that Mr. Wilbur only has a burr in his saddle.

7. Frankenchrist says:

Don Wilbur,

Your hero Chimpy McBush took a $250 billion surplus and made it a $12 trillion deficit and cratered the economy while he was at it. He also grew the size of government greater than any president since LBJ and the Great Society while cutting taxes for millioniares and billioniares. That is why you eat cat food and shoo kids off of your lawn.

Vote Romney/Ryan and get more of the above.

8. Where is the majority of the middle class’s wealth? You both deflected.

Stock market had some good years in the 1930s too.

9. Fibonacci says:

krummm hjit the nail on the head. CT7 blames Obama for every bad thing that happens, but gives him no credit if something good happens, You can’t have it both ways.

10. SwordofPerseus says:

Conc7 asks: “Where is the majority of the middle class’s wealth?”

Answer; Transferred via credit default swaps and similar vehicles to the most wealthy 1% of Americans.

11. aislander says:

12. LeePHill says:

“I’m a middle-class senior who wanted to preserve my standard of living when Barack Obama took office almost four years ago. Now I can’t afford to gas my car, my house has lost about $100,000 in value, my health care is more expensive and in jeopardy, my investments that supplement my Social Security are negative, my grandchildren’s college education is now financially not viable, inflation is growing, and taxes and fees are increasing continually.”

Where to start?

Can’t afford gas? You must have really be overwhelmed when Bush was in office four years ago and gas was almost $5.00 locally. We didn’t hear from you then, Don.

House lost value? Mine did too. Back in 2008 when the market went kablooey. Bush was in office.

Health care is more expensive? Welcome to Capitalism where the providers set the prices. In jeopardy? Naw…not as long as they have a license to steal from us. The insurance companies don’t pay the bill entirely and we get stuck with the balance. Who wins? Providers and insurers.

Investments are negative???? You picked the wrong ones. The market has doubled since Obama took over in 2009.

Grandchildrens’ college costs going up? So is everything else. Are you complaining about the price of beef?

Inflation is up? That is usually what powers your home value. What do you want for nothing???????

Taxes and fees going up? Where? Taxes have not increased for middle class. Fees don’t pay the bills, thus cities, counties and states are in the red.

I think you’re pulling our collective legs, Don. Either that or you just dislike Obama and want to blame him for a bunch of stuff that is beyond his control.

13. LeePHill says:

“aislander says:
    Aug. 17, 2012 at 3:44 pm The stock market is responding to the cash infusion from the Fed’s QEs 1 and 2. Nothing more….”

Does that mean if you cashed out today, on what you bought in 2009…you wouldn’t get the value of the stocks today?

Of course not.

More smoke and mirrors from the Right Wing Talking Points Machine.

14. It’s interesting that CT7 is saying that corporate earnings have had no effect on the stock market. Gee, I wonder what it was then, that caused JCI to drop beginning 19 July or so.
    Some people lie when their premise will not hold up.

15. aislander says:

Fiat money is a kind of pyramid scheme. Right now the bulk of it is on the sidelines, but when and if the economy recovers, it will come out of hiding and there will be an almighty inflation of the dollar. Right now, that inflation has been contained to the stock market and the grocery store (notice the packages getting smaller?).

The first ones to cash out and move into, say, gold or diamonds will be okay, but I wouldn’t want to be the last one still in equities…

16. I feel obligated to note when aislander makes a post that makes complete sense. I totally agree with what he wrote 8/17 @ 9:35

17. rooster_02 says:

Don Wilbur called my house once after he read a letter to the editor my wife and I wrote during the Iraq war. He called us dangerous people and something about being traitors. He is an old bafoon that can’t be trusted and a typical republican……unable to have any kind critical thought process.

18. aislander says:

Thanks, beerBoy. You are making me doubt myself a little!

I should have recast my last sentence of my 9:35 PM post to say “…I wouldn’t want to be the last one still in equities and/or holding US dollars.”

19. menopaws says:

Your home lost value before Obama ever took office……..So did your investments………Let’s not be reality challenged and attempt to alter history….If your investments are still in the tank, you need a new advisor…..Ours are up 30%…..and the value of our home is climbing up again…….The economy almost went over a cliff—-NOT ON OBAMA’S WATCH……Considering how bad it was, considering we were talking MASSIVE bank failures, I keep waiting for someone to say Thank you to our President for pulling us back from the edge of a cliff that Republicans took us to………But, gratitude, please, thank you—generally good manners and behaving with dignity are not the mark of today’s Republican…….Too bad, because some of the previous ones, such as Reagan, Howard Baker, Jack Kemp were all true gentlemen……Today’s crowd are mostly sewer dwellers and liars to boot. So, Don, go whine with them–that is what they do. They whine and whine and whine….then they pull a “birther” out of the asylum, dust him/her off and plant them in front of the TV cameras…..Get yourself a new financial advisor–we are doing better than we were when Junior was President…….And, there is NO inflation–except at the pump…go call the Koch Brothers or Exxon…….If you can’t manage money, don’t blame the politicians…..

20. Prior to Reagan the rich were taxed and the US Economy lead the world.
    Since Reagan tax on the rich have gone down, our Economy is in freefall, and the US teeters on the edge of bankruptcy.

21. aislander says:

xring: You know that’s just not so. There were many more ways of avoiding taxation before 1986 than after. In any case, revenues as a percentage of GDP stayed within the same narrow range.

22. MyBandito says:

xring- More-so since GWB took office. Reagan started the ball rolling, but Bush pushed it over the edge.

23. SwordofPerseus says:

‘slander said; “Beyond even THAT, you are attributing causation to coincidence, which seems to be your favorite of the logical fallacies to which you are addicted…”

Funny ‘slander, I think you are addicted to a similar substance; Denial.
    The associations xring alluded to for taxation and the current system decline cannot be denied.