Letters to the Editor

Your views in 200 words or less

ELECTION: Romney/Ryan, before it’s too late

Letter by Lyle Laws, Puyallup on Aug. 15, 2012 at 12:06 pm with 25 Comments »
August 15, 2012 1:01 pm

I will be voting for the Romney/Ryan ticket. I just hope it isn’t too late to keep our country from going bankrupt because so many folks who feel that the government should provide for all of their needs will be voting to re-elect Barack Obama.

I was born in 1933, and during my lifetime many Americans have gone from being glad to work at any job available to them to avoiding work if at all possible. Now there are more than 10 million illegal aliens in the country doing the grunt work that about the same number of unemployed Americans could be doing. Why?

In 1933, people who didn’t work lived in wretched conditions, often without adequate food, indoor plumbing, running water, washing machines, central heating, warm clothing, unemployment compensation, or access to medical or dental care.

Fast-forward to 2012, and compare the lives of those who don’t work with those who do.

Now, with welfare checks, food stamps, subsidized housing, Medicaid, SSI and many other government programs, those who don’t (won’t) work get by about as well as folks who get up and go to work at whatever jobs are available to them.

Unfortunately, many Democrats who are working hard and contributing taxes to support people who choose not to work will be voting to re-elect Obama simply because they have always voted for Democrats in the past.

1. Fibonacci says:

Lyle
    I DO work, and I will be voting for Obama. I am no fan, but things will be much worth with R and R. It sounds like you yearn for a US with people lining in wretched conditions, without adequqte food, indoor plumbing, running water, washing machines, central heating, warm clothing, etc etc. I am glad to be living in a country that provides for the vulnerable. Not EVERYONE who does not work chooses that situation. Are there some, of cours, but you seek a world that thankfully we hav moved past——unless of course we elect Romney.

2. Frankenchrist says:

Lyle,

Romney/Ryan are going to take away all of your Medicare and Social Security.

Hope you like cat food.

3. LeePHill says:

oh Lyle…..you kidder…..LOL

4. Provides for the vulnerable. Can you define vulnerable? If we fix the economy, are there less “vulnerable”? Do we maintain our current payments to individuals? For how long? Please factor in cost. I look forward to seeing your solutions. Taxing the rich 100% will not solve the spending problem, so I hope you are quite creative.

5. Fibonacci says:

CT7
    OK, Herr Himmler. The vulnerable include some elderly, children, physically and mentally handicapped. Those with unforeseen medical costs. I have a friend with Parkinson’s, he can’t work. I know of a family—-wife has cancer, they have gone through all insurance and savings, lost house and car. You’re solution? Oh I know, let me die. Do the rest of us a favor.

I am your worst nightmare. Republicans–23 per cent of population, Demorats—34 percent. In case your math is challenged, that leaves 43 percent for the rest of us. WE will be the ones that elect the next president, not Democrats or Republicans, because YOU always vote ideology.

6. Fibonacci says:

That would be your not you’r and let em not let me, although I. Am sure you would prefer me—lol.

7. lylelaws says:

Fibonacci,

One of the most appalling things about today’s welfare society is the fact that the freeloaders who could work and help provide for themselves are siphoning off so much of the money that could and should be going to people who really are in need.

8. lylelaws says:

5,000 years ago, Moses said:
    Pick up your shovels, pack up your asses, pack up your camels,
    And I will lead you to the promised land.

5,000 years later Obama’s message is:
    Lay down your shovels, sit on your asses and light up a Camel,
    This is the promised land.

The above was said about FDR in 1932 but it sure applies today.

9. CT7 – increasing the top two income tax rates from 33% to 36% and from 35% to 39.6% and closing tax loop holes would be a start.

Ryan’s budget adds trillions to our debt and would not balance the budget for 28 years.

Lyle – are you talking about the 1,000,000,000 on welfare?

10. And when we can no longer borrow at historically low rates, how do we pay for the “vulnerable”?

Also, please show me where/who is calling for an end to the safety net. Thanks!

A nightmare? For the millions out of work, this admin is the nightmare. Tone down your ego and stop being so selfish.

11. A start does nothing. Pays for a week of govt spending. Try again.

12. Fibonacci says:

CT7
    Stop being so selfish? I work in the private sector and have never gotten anything from government that the rest of the population gets—-schools, roads, libraries, etc. the vulnerable still need help in spite of interest rates. I bet YOU don’t go to bed hungry, I bet YOU don’t sleep in your car, I bet YOU probably have health insurance. Oh yeah, iy is all about YOU, but then I am the one with the ego problem and am selfish because I like a society that takes care of the least of us.

13. Fibonacci says:

Lyle
    You are a washed up old man that no one takes seriously.

14. Tone down that emotion and be rational for a second. Explain how we are going to pay for it and “invest” and maintain a national defense.

Nice deflection trying to make this about me.

Answer the two questions. How do we pay for it? Who is calling for an end to the safety net? Put your big boy pants on and try to answer a question honestly.

Yes, you are being selfish. You are trying to spend other people’s money so you can feel better. Since these programs have done nothing to the poverty rate, it is about emotion.

15. Frankenchrist – the Ryan plan won’t take away Lyle’s Medicare and Social Security because he is older than 55. So, apparently, Lyle is happy to “make the sacrifice” of keeping his benefits that many of us will lose.

16. LeePHill says:

“CT7 says:
    Aug. 16, 2012 at 5:20 am Tone down that emotion and be rational for a second.”

Says the winner of the Mr. Irrational Award.

“You are trying to spend other people’s money so you can feel better.”

The UNITED States Constitution provides for taxation to take care of the lessor of us. Quit being so damned unpatriotic and follow the Constitution.

17. olympicmtn says:

AMEN. Remember I did not build my business Obama worked 80 hour weeks to build my business…. and your kid on the honor roll, did not earn his or her grades, the bus driver did it for them….

Go Ryan GO!

18. CT7,
    Let’s start by closing tax loop holes, and redoing the income tax rates so the rich pay something closer to their fair share, then we can overhaul Defense Spending, and stop paying subsidies to supposedly profitable businesses like big oil, big pharm, and big agriculture firms.

Olympicmth – when you can prove that your business did not need stable country with modern infrastructure I believe your company succeeded solely due to your efforts.

19. aislander says:

The Constitution says NOTHING about the federal government’s taking care of the “lessor” (sic) of us. That’s whys Social Security was sold as an “insurance” program rather than as wealth transfer…

20. Social Security is an “insurance” program….not only to help insure our individual retirement but also to help insure the health of the nation’s economy.

21. Fibonacci, with all of the do-gooders such as yourself running around in utter dismay about the conditions that the poor folks have, it astonishes me that you and people like you haven’t opened up your homes and dinner tables to these wretched people. How can you sit down and enjoy your meal, knowing that there are millions of starving people lining our streets? How can you go to sleep in your cozy little bed knowing that there are people sleeping in their cars? Put your money where your mouth is o.k? Or cease with the rhetoric. You liberals love to blame society for everything that’s wrong with this country but won’t move a finger to improve it. I expect to see you at St. Leo’s working in the food kitchen and doing something other than critize the good people who do pay taxes to support your utopia.

22. Larry, we tax to provide for universal benefits. National defense. Roads. Law and order. Firefighting.

Nice rewrite of our base documents.

Bb- people pay for insurance. The folks collecting SS today paid way less into the system than they will receive. That delta only grows fatter with time. Use those professorial skills and look at the problem critically.

23. Gee ct….you saying that people don’t pay payroll taxes (social security)? or that insurance payouts are restricted to only the total amount each individual has paid into the system?

24. PumainTacoma says:

LOL now we have people defending Obama and Biden (foot in mouth) politicians who believe VA will be enslaved with chains for blacks and your business was made because of “but for” (legal terms) Obama.

No that is really funny…

Remember stay classy Obama…

25. Bb, are you pretending to be dense or is this for real?

Do you acknowledge that the AVERAGE beneficiary will not have paid into the system as much as they withdraw?

We are aging, as a society. The math does not workout. The payments to individuals that only pay part of their entitlements is not sustainable.

Insurance helps spread risk. But it is based on a formula that does not leave a huge deficit at the end of the day, unlike our entitlements.

You know all this. You have gone backwards with every pro-socialist rant, Biden gaffe, day without a budget or solutions.