Letters to the Editor

Your views in 200 words or less

TACOMA: City needs to get in shape

Letter by Ray Crosby, Oakland, Calif. on Aug. 15, 2012 at 12:36 pm with 8 Comments »
August 15, 2012 12:57 pm

I left Tacoma back in 1993 to go to college. Last week I came back for the first time to visit family.

Tacoma, what happened? You have become the fattest city I have ever seen. Every part of town I visited was full of obese men, women and even children. I rarely saw a normal-sized individual.

How can you thrive as a city if the majority of people are terribly out of shape? Stop blaming the government and take a good look in the mirror. You can’t expect to rebuild Tacoma’s economy if the majority of the city is overweight and out of breath.

Tags:
  1. People are too lazy to cook healthy meals, and they prefer to vegetate in front of televisions playing video games and overdosing on sports programs and reality tv. Not enough time in the day to exercise or eat right.

I noticed the same thing about Tacoma – and South King County. Go to Southcenter mall some time; the average weight per shopper has to be over 250 lbs.

I’m sure they all complain about backaches, joint pain, sleep apnea, and other assorted ills all directly attributable to their poor choices.

2. Frankenchrist says:

They are all teabaggers. It’s a scientific fact that most teabaggers are morbidly obese. That’s what a diet of deep-fried Twinkies does.

3. itwasntmethistime says:

Good letter.

4. FC- republicans are more likely to lift weights. Fact.

I am sure living in a tent with a sign parked out front was good for your waste line.

5. MrCarleone says:

RAY !

Let me get this right!

You live in Oakland, CA, and your disparaging Tacoma ?

6. olympicmtn says:

We bus kids within a mile of their home because mommy and daddy say so… at a cost of 3 million dollars plus.

7. SwordofPerseus says:

TV began killing Americans 60 years ago and it has not let up since.

8. alindasue says:

olympicmtn said, “We bus kids within a mile of their home…”

You don’t have any kids in Tacoma schools, do you? If you paid attention to the actual school bus routes, you’d know that the only kids riding school buses to schools less than a mile away from their homes are the very young (preschool) and special ed students.

SwordofPerseus said, “TV began killing Americans 60 years ago and it has not let up since.”

That’s probably the truest statement I’ve read all day…