Letters to the Editor

Your views in 200 words or less

ELECTION: Candidate shouldn’t fight dirty

Letter by Carl A. Anderson, Tacoma on July 27, 2012 at 10:20 am with 7 Comments »
July 27, 2012 3:48 pm

I do not know who Jack Connelly is except that he is running for political office. I also know that I received the first electoral hit piece of 2012 in today’s mail from “Friends of Jack Connelly for 27th Senate.”

Connelly, who has no legislative record of his own, has attacked state Rep. Jeannie Darnielle for a vote she took 11 years ago on April 12, 2001.

I get a lot of campaign mailings for Connelly, who clearly has a lot of money. None of them inform me of much, but up to now he hasn’t been dirty. I suggest that he keep it civil.

1. olympicmtn says:

Is this the same Anderson who supported the other “dirty” fighters from past elections?

2. alindasue says:

I received the same mailing yesterday. The entire flyer was nothing but an attack on Jeannie Darnielle with no indication as to why we should vote for her opponent. In fact, her opponent was only mentioned in small print in the return address of the mailing.

The flier went straight into the recycling bin. If Jack Connelly and his supporters want me to vote for him, then they need to mail out flyers that tell us what he does to deserve our vote.

3. tree_guy says:

The choice is clear.

One candidate lost millions of scarce tax dollars on a public housing development that he wasn’t watching carefully enough and the other candidate cost the local taxpayers millions by sneaking a sales tax amendment into state law.

Just write in Robert Jesse Hill on your ballot and be done with these two.

4. LeePHill says:

Focuses on opponent without talking about himself?

Sounds like Romney’s tactic.

5. alindasue says:

tree_guy,

Like that flier I received in the mail from Jack Connelly’s supporters, your post does nothing to tell me why I should vote for your preferred candidate. That’s the whole point of this letter and my following comment.

Negative comments about an opponent tell us nothing about the redeeming qualities of your candidate.

6. tree_guy says:

I want to know all the negatives about all the candidates. Then I’ll make up my own mind. If people don’t find the “hit” pieces informative and decide to throw them in the trash, that’s their decision. I read it all and sometimes it might tip my decision.

7. stradivari says:

Connelly has campaigned with expensive television ads, and pricey oversized glossy mailings that include spurious attacks on his opponent that seem to not even be half truths–but 1/8 truths. At the same time, he paints himself in generalities and platitudes so we don’t really know what his agenda is or why he is spending record amounts of cash to win.