Letters to the Editor

Your views in 200 words or less

VOTER ID: Most things today require an ID

Letter by Marjorie A. Reynolds, Graham on July 18, 2012 at 3:59 pm with 65 Comments »
July 19, 2012 10:10 am

Re: “It’s time for us to get serious about voter suppression” (Leonard Pitts Jr. column, 7-18).

Pitts feels for all the people who couldn’t vote if they had to show ID.

Who are all these people? They must be really saintly because they don’t smoke or drink or see R-rated movies. They also must have some source of independent income as they can’t work; you have to have a picture ID when you fill out your I-9 form.

Do they get food stamps or other welfare? I’ve never applied, but do we just give it to anyone who walks in off the street without any ID? If so, maybe I’ll go down and apply (oops, no – that would be fraud).

If they are independently wealthy, do they keep their money in a shoebox under their bed? You need an ID to open a bank account and to cash checks. If getting an ID is such a hassle, maybe the people who see it as a problem should volunteer their time getting these people to wherever they need to go to get an ID.

Since under Obamacare, everyone will have some form of health care, won’t they need ID when they go to the doctor or hospital? Or perhaps they should work to make it easier to get IDs. Maybe post offices could be authorized to issue an ID.

Voting is serious. If you don’t have the energy to get an ID, are you taking the time to study the issues and candidates? Voter ID should be required in every state.

1. charliebucket says:

marjorie please read up on the 14th, 15th and 24th amendments to the constitution.

the last line of the letter is laughable…..knowing your history of LTE. exactly what do you use to study issues and candidates??? Let me guess…you watch the “news” and listen to the “radio”….

rotflmao

2. SafewayOrangeSoda says:

ROTFL?

The only ones are the people laughing at you. “The constitution” doesn’t say anything about preserving vote fraud by claiming ID requirements as a racial issue.

You want to vote, get an ID. That’s not “suppression”- that’s just common sense.

3. My mother no longer has ID, she quit driving and lives on a fixed income.

4. There should be no poll tax. My mom does not currently need ID, she would need to have me take her to get one and buy it for her. This than becomes a poll tax.

5. Frankenchrist says:

The GOP wants a poll tax because it gives them fond memories of the antebellum South. That is a time in our history they sorely miss.

6. marjorie, I am not sure hyou have ever travelled in rural areas or in the South or in areas where a photo ID is not necessary. Many people work without showing an I-9 or a photo ID. Many people don’t have the luxury of going to an R-rated movie, or even living in a community that allows such.

People who live in ivory towers just don’t get the real world. To them, $60-$100 to pay all the fees to get an original copy of a birth certificate, and pay for an ID or much more to meet new voter ID laws if you were born in the USA but don’t have an original birth certificate, is an enormous expense.

Show what the problem is and then a solution can be developed. So far therer isn’t any problem except this angst that Fox News and the far right has stirred up without any evidence, facts or reason.

7. BlaineCGarver says:

Theo, get off your lazy duff and take care of your Mom. Gawd, what piker.

8. alindasue says:

While I am not against the idea of showing ID at the polls (not an issue in this state where voting is all conducted by mail), I understand that some people just don’t have ID because they just don’t generally need it.

I once worked for an old Italian lady who kept all her money in a drawer in her dresser. She conducted all her business in cash. She bought alcohol but since she was quite obviously over 21 (or 51, for that matter), they never asked to see her ID.

I don’t go to many R rated movies, but it’s been a good couple decades since they’ve asked to see my ID when I do go to one.

You do need to have a valid ID to apply for assistance benefits, but not necessarily to visit a doctor. At the doctor’s office, they ask my birth date to confirm they have the chart for the right person, but that’s about it.

If a person conducts all business in cash, doesn’t drive, and looks obviously over 21, he or she may even not think about needing an ID. Just because the bulk of us are wired in and connected to everything and having a driver’s license or state ID is as natural as those phones in our pockets and those credit cards in our wallets, doesn’t mean it’s that way for everyone in the country.

9. surething says:

I thought by 18 you were required to at least have an ID from the DOL.

10. Theo, are you sure your mom is lucid enough to vote? Or do you do that for her too?

11. I guess it’s only the demokrat voters who can’t get I.D. I don’t hear any republicans whining about it. Does that say anything about the demokrat voter of today? Maybe because it requires them to get off of their a***s and do something on their own for a change?

12. alindasue says:

frosty,

There are many reasons an elderly person may not be able to drive that have nothing to do with how “lucid” that person may be. Loss of eyesight is one of the most common reasons. Loss of coordination or equilibrium may be another. Some simply quit driving because maintaining a car is just too expensive.

Don’t be so quick to judge.

13. alindasue says:

frosty,

My cousin’s brother-in-law had a good deal of trouble trying to get an ID last year after realizing his had been expired for 10 years. He had just been too busy with life and work to notice or care that it had expired. It wasn’t until he’d been laid off that he finally realized he needed it.

Nobody in that house could even remotely be called a Democrat.

14. Dress it up and paint it any way you want but ‘voter id’ is just another name voter suppression so the GOP can establish itself and the Grand ONLY Party.

15. SafewayOrangeSoda says:

Same old worthless, pathetic excuses from the party of ‘em.

“I didn’t have tiiiiiiiime”
    “But it’s too haaaaard to get an ID”

Get off your duff, drive your old gramma down to the licensing place.

IT STOPS FRAUD.

No more dogs voting? No more dead people voting? No more illegal immigrants voting?

No more Democrats getting elected.

And that has Dems absolutely, positively terrified. So they put on a brave face, stick up the lip and invent the most pathetic, stupid, whiny excuses as to why it’s oh-so-hard to find one single solitary time to get up and go get a simple identification card.

And the only ones buying it are you ridiculous leftists. Look around you at the people commenting- It’s a veritable chorus of hardcore Dems From The Left here, all stammering out the same silly song. And those are the only ones that are playing your tune.

16. Brutha Frosty maybe you can get off of your a** and think before you pre-judge someone for a change.

Marjorie: “Or perhaps they should work to make it easier to get IDs. Maybe post offices could be authorized to issue an ID.”

That’s a pretty good suggestion and it could be done.

17. sevanup, have you been consuming too much of the drink you proudly wear as a tag? I’m not “pre-judging” anyone, I’m simply stating the obvious. Liberals are liars, cheats and procrastinators.

18. nwcolorist says:

Most people figure out how to do the things they want to do.

Even if voter suppression was a problem, with only 40-60% of the population voting, it’s hardly the most pressing issue.

19. Frosty: Theo, are you sure your mom is lucid enough to vote? Or do you do that for her too?

That is pretty prejudicial Brutha Frosty! Your inability to empathize with our fellow elderly or otherwise in-capacitated citizens speaks volumes.

20. charliebucket says:

sevanup save your breath, frosty is a close minded hateful jerk. just look at his comments.

back to the topic….any fee to vote is not OK in this country. if they pass a voter ID law then they need to provide everyone with free ID and the convenient means to obtain in, otherwise it is a poll tax.

do some research into history and the amendments to the constitution.

as proven multiple times by multiple people there is not voter fraud being perpetrated. there are a few incidences of voter anomolies but not anything close to widespread voter fraud or any means to do so with the system we have. the republicans are just trying to make it harder and harder for anyone who might not vote republican to cast a ballot. IMO.

21. Charliebucket, agreed. At most there have been a hundred cases out of the millions of votes cast over how many years. It is voter suppression plain and clear. Sadly, you would think that the average republican common man/woman would wake up and realize the party elites and high officals considers them part of the great unwashed masses and want no more do to with them than their democrat counterparts.

22. averageJose says:

Come on Marj ! Really? Expecting people to prove they are who they claim they are in something so important as an election must be racist… or some other nefarious attitude… bla, bla, bla… yadda, yadda, yadda.

23. averageJose says:

Theo, does Mom use a pencil to fill out her ballot, but a stamp, drive to the drop off, etc., etc. ???

Is any of that a poll tax?

24. bobcat1a says:

Frosty, democrats are complaining for two reasons: 1. because they believe voting is a right and 2. The vast majority of those without ID are old or poor and need someone to stand up for them. The teapublicans believe in dog eat dog, every man for himself and the devil take the hindmost.

25. alindasue says:

frosty: “I guess it’s only the demokrat voters who can’t get I.D….”

SafewayOrangeSoda: “Seriously, Dems- the only thing your waffling does is expose the real reason why you hate voter ID laws-”

frosty: “Liberals are liars, cheats and procrastinators.”

I’ve only known a couple adults who didn’t have a valid ID card or drivers license. Both of them tended to vote for Republicans.

The “liberals” may be more concerned about assuring that everyone get a chance to vote, but I suspect that Republicans would be affected by the voter ID laws at least as much as any Democrat or independent voter would.

26. Show your ID to the mail box if it makes you happy.

Since voter fraud is a felony how come there are NO convictions for voter fraud? Maybe because there is no such thing? Is this a solution looking for a problem?

27. CT7 – such a broad statement from such a narrow mind.

NWC – the fewer the voters the MORE important each individual vote is.

Alindasue -The first thing Walker did after force feeding Wisconson a voter id law was to start closing state DMV offices in Democratic leaning areas of the state and reduce the hours in those that were not closed.

28. took14theteam says:

frosty is a close minded hateful jerk

Says the guy who is going to turn someone else into the internet anti-bully site for being mean to him.

LMAO

Muck why did you come back even meaner than when you left?

29. averageJose says:

Since tax evasion is a felony why did Obama appoint so many felons to his cabinet positions???

30. SafewayOrangeSoda says:

averageJose, are you actually expecting a decent argument from these leftist people?

Have you not seen them sitting here all day screaming to the wind?

31. X- did I even comment? Guess it was too much, yet FC has a special place on this blog. Odd.

32. SafewayOrangeSoda says:

Stay classy, Charliebucket!

33. Is part of this thread gone? What just sent chucky into a hissy fit? For a relatively new moniker, interesting he even knew what last line meant.

Took, until he stands up to the music man over religion I will not believe it is the same poster.

34. averageJose says:

LOL… thanks for the endearing comments bucket.

Did you know namecalling is against the forum rules?

35. How much does it “cost” to produce a Social Security card and birth certificate?

Driver’s licenses are required to be renewed every 5 years. Why not voter registrations?

Oh… that’s right, it’d be a serious hardship for the dead people and pets. And Dems would never want to disenfranchise that demographic.

As for the elderly and infirmed, in every case that I have ever been aware of or involved with where mobility for these citizens is an issue, someone has power of attorney or is able to assist them with their everyday needs. I find the argument of disenfranchisement of these individuals to be laughable. In states where the Holder has assaulted voter ID laws, polls are still an option. How does it make sense that these poor mobility-lacking folks can get groceries, medical attention, public assistance, etc, and not be able to make it to an official polling/ voter registration place, where they could show SS card and birth certificate, along with a power bill (or eq.) as proof of residence if they don’t have picture ID? At that point, they could be issued picture ID free of charge, if they have inadequate means of support, and special “early voting” accommodations could be made for those who qualify.

This is just another “hole-in-the-bucket” argument from Democrats, who have a vested interest in maintaining the status-quo – aka; voter fraud.

36. Nothing like a stinking bucket-o’-charlie in the morning.
    Better than nursing home coffee.

37. averageJose says:

The anonymous bucket with the namecalling again. Cute.

38. LOL. Poor chuck cannot win an argument with facts then flies of the handle. Classic.

I am sure the cops and FBI really care

39. charliebucket says:

forum bullies. the lowest class of people around.

40. I’ve said it many times – until and unless the Republoyalists are as eager to stop ALL versions of election fraud, including the types the GOP tends to benefit from, all this noise about IDs and voter fraud are complete B.S.

41. averageJose says:
    July 20, 2012 at 8:24 am

The anonymous…..

42. Blaine, Name calling is real mature. You may not know this, but we vote by mail in this county. So it is not necessary for me to have to do it. I was making a point about the elderly. What if they don’t have family, I guess they don’t get to vote in your little hateful world.

43. falkoja6 says:

I cannot believe the number of people that are against an ID for voting. How does one obtain assistance for needy families, TANF, or JOBS, or for that matter Food Stamps. An ID is most certainly required to obtain any or all these benefits the benevolent government provides. Kind of hypocritical don’t you think?? The mindset of so many people in this string is so slanted and myopic. Instead of a goal of how do I become self sufficient in this society it has degenerated to what do I have to do to stay on the plantation. Slavery is alive and well …just read the rants in this string

44. CT7 – my apologies – the comment should have been directed to Frosty.

Clamat0,
    Why not try to get a copy of your long form birth certificate and tell us?

Two even more serious hardships for the GOP would be to:

prohibitive the use of any privately owned and maintained voting device, and

require all voting machines to produce a printed record that confirms the machine recorded the ballot properly, and would be used in any recount.

45. The question is wrong here – instead of saying “why shouldn’t we require ID for voting” it should be “is there any evidence of widespread fraud that would be stemmed by requiring IDs?”

And….there isn’t any evidence of widespread voter fraud due to lack of IDs.

The “small government” guys want to expand government to solve a problem that doesn’t exist.

46. itwasntmethistime says:

I agree with the original letter writer. At some point, everybody needs an ID for something. Maybe you can see your small-town doctor without an ID but if you ever need to go to a hospital they will require it.

47. My last stay at the hospital required only my insurance card, not my Drivers Lic.

48. averageJose says:

I’ve said it many times… I am all for ending election all forms of election fraud. Requiring ID seems like a great place to start.

You missed the context of the “anomymous” comment bB. Bucket was on a namecalling rant and pulled one of your tricks (where he complained about others namecalling and their anonymous monikers)… those comments have been deleted. I was merely doing what I do and providing context as well as illustrating his hypocrisy in the matter. :)

49. I see you are owning none of your own behavior yet again.

Insert emoticon here.

50. averageJose says:

I see you are still missing the context… or being willfully ignorant. ;)

This one’s for you Arts…

charliebucket says:

LMAO @ you for the “owning your own behavior” comment. When have you EVER? I have pages documenting your double standard and hypocritical ways.

51. Clamat0, you ask: How much does it “cost” to produce a Social Security card and birth certificate?

So, look up how much a PI costs and how much legal services costs, and you might end up with many thousands of dollars to get a birth certificate when none was issued at birth, as in my case.

If there had not been a severe drought in the early 1950’s and I had stayed on my grandparents ranch in West Texas instead of enlisting in the Army, I might not ever have had a birth certificate (or a SS card). I already had a driver license and I was white and paid my poll tax, so I got a voter’s certificate, but that is not the kind of ID states are demanding.

52. took14theteam says:

give it a rest….

53. I’m guessing, with the way aJ has been trying to pick a fight with me on every thread I have posted, that his virtual life is almost as boring than his real life and, like the bratty child who will act badly to get attention, he wants me to respond.

54. averageJose says:

I don’t spend much time on here beerBoy… too much going on.

Oh, and you intitiated the exchange. As usual, you are owning none of your own behavior yet again.

;)

55. charliebucket, of crap, you and sevanup need to form an alliance of the ignorant. You guys are so far to the left, your left hand drags the pavement as you walk. Leftist clowns are a dime a dozen, if they are not breaking bank windows, they’re sitting in their mom’s basement eating cheetos and and talking garbage. Sock puppets.

56. When, where and how did I “initiate the exchange”?

57. In my case, it took two US Army investigators about 6 weeks of their time and two Army lawyers about 10 hours of work.

So… what are you saying? You lost all of your ID?

I lost my passport and original birth certificate. It took me all of about a week to get the BC replaced so that I could re-apply for a new passport – something that one has to do every ten years anyway. The passport took about three months (although if I’d wanted to pay the government double the fee and pick up the documents in Seattle myself, they can cut the wait to a few weeks).

There was a small fee involved in re-obtaining my BC – less than twenty bucks as I recall. I did the whole thing on-line and over the phone.

These are simply not insurmountable obstacles – for anyone. Sorry, but having gone through it, you cannot convince me otherwise.

58. averageJose says:

Sorry for your lack of retention.

59. Thought so.

60. averageJose says:

I’m not your research monkey… look up thread.

July 20, 09:57.

61. July 20, 2012 at 8:24 am

62. averageJose says:

LMAo… so now your other handle is CharlieBucket ? Kooky.
    Check your comprehension my selective outrage friend. I provided you with the relevent portion of bucket’s deleted post up thread. ;)

here it is… again… w/o out the really offensive parts that got the comment deleted.

charliebucket says:
    July 20, 2012 at 7:38 am what a bunch of right wing pathetic losers using their anonymity and their keyboard to harass and bully other people.

:) have a nice day.

63. averageJose says:

What’s even more funny is that you claim I’m the one that is craving attention …

64. averageJose says:

;)

65. averageJose says:

I take it you’re done with this thread bB?

p.s. I’ll be out of town again for a short spell. Try not to miss me too much… ;)