Letters to the Editor

Your views in 200 words or less

MARRIAGE: Morality bred out of many Americans

Letter by Vince A. Wagner, University Place on July 17, 2012 at 2:43 pm with 63 Comments »
July 17, 2012 2:43 pm

Re: “A vote in support of R-74 affirms God’s creation of diversity” (Your Voice, 7-17).

Every civilization in history has recognized that God’s instruction for marriage is an essential pillar of society. But much has happened since God first ordained the institution of marriage.

Amidst the decline of sexual mores, the “enlightened” in this country have declared war on traditional marriage. There are now many that believe God’s instruction for marriage handcuffs their personal “freedom.” Christians are now labeled as monsters for rejecting the idea to undefine marriage. Sadly there are now many in this country who are more concerned with political correctness than biblical correctness.

Morality has been slowly bred out of many Americans. The “feel-good” approach that is void of God’s purpose for marriage have made traditional values and morality almost passé. Before we became so “enlightened” we understood what homosexuality was. But the nonbeliever has done a remarkable job in taking the focus off of what homosexuals do and putting it on who they are as people.

At first we pitied the lifestyle choice. Then we began to slowly tolerate it. Then we slowly became comfortable with the behavior. Suddenly we began to justify the lifestyle choice. Then embrace the behavior. Then defend it. Then celebrate it. Then, amazingly, somehow find it godly. And finally, condemn, ridicule and mock as “hateful” any who don’t.

It’s called America’s moral decline. It’s called the great American moral crisis.

1. LeePHill says:

I spoke to God. She says you are wrong.

2. Liberalism; decadent beliefs.

3. Theefrinker says:

Biblical Correctness. Nice oxymoron!

Perhaps you’re just secretly envious because the non-believer possesses the ability to think beyond the fear-invoking instruction and invoke logic in lieu of credulity.

4. DavidAnderson says:

Monkey Morality. Reasons why what Wagner wrote is right.

5. sandblower says:

First of all, Mr. Wagner cannot prove that God exists and therefore had anything to say about marriage or any other thing. And I cannot prove that God does not exist, but it is easy to prove that no writing exists in his hand that refers to marriage.
    I’ll take my reluctant agnosticism over his unthinking faith any day.
    Basing one’s opinions on things that have no possibility of proof is folly.

6. Harry_Anslinger says:

Hmmm, absurd to think that there are Christians who might actually understand the difference between theocracy and constitutional freedom, and that marriage as a civil institution has nothing to do with the bible. And yet here once again we have another self-righteous Christian blowhard ignoring these important distinctions between their own belief system and the rights of others. We do not live under a Christian theocracy. All people have the right to their religious beliefs, or to not have any. Civil marriage is not subject to bigoted judgemental attacks on a persons civil rights.

7. DavidAnderson says:

Excerpt from the above link:

As a self-proclaimed “enlightened liberal” stated in his letter to the editor, “There is an unfortunate irony in liberal discourse these days: namely, that we don’t think critically about what it means to think critically.”

8. truthbusterguy says:

Mr. Wagner, thanks for your letter. The liberals hate the truth and will tell you so.

Mr. Wagner makes an interesting and honest point about the moral decline in this country. He is spot on. And the fact that political correctness has led to the acceptance of the gay lifestyle makes many Americans pause to speak out. They fear being call a hater or homophobe. What good Americans do is when they get ready to vote they vote what they really believe. This is why the gay community and the gay lovers in the legislature refused to left the people vote on this issue.

They know that like in the other 32 states when voters sit down with their ballots they will reject R-74 and preserve marriage for what it should be. For only 1 man and 1 woman.

The use of the media, Hollywood, obama, and other liberal support groups will never change the hearts of America on this issue. Tradition values will win for traditional marriage.

9. charliebucket says:

gag.

10. Before we were “enlightened” we used to think it was okay to burn homosexuals alive? I for one don’t want to return to an age of un-enlightenment.

11. normajean says:

I was born & raised a catholic. My uncle was a catholic priest. Would he have approved of gay marriage? No but I must say from my heart that he would have been wrong in believing that God would disapprove. Religion is a personal choice & I believe that getting married religiously or civilly is also a personal choice. For those of you spouting what you believe to be the word of God I can only say that you are led by fear & ignorance. David Allan Coe stated that “all men are created equal and it is only men themselves who place themselves above equality.”

12. Sandblower wrote: “And I cannot prove that God does not exist,” he then goes on to say, “Basing one’s opinions on things that have no possibility of proof is folly”. What is it Sandy? Does God exist or doesn’t he? You leave us all to speculate whether Mr. Wagner is correct or whether you are. Maybe you are both right……God does exist. Mr. Wagner can’t prove it and you can’t disprove it.

I’m sure that you would prefer the notion that God Doesn’t exist. Mr. Wagner can’t disprove it and you can’t prove it. You are probably better off supporting why Obama would make a bettr choice than Romney…..stick to conundrums weakly supported by liberal talking points. Leave religious matters to those better qualified to discuss them.

13. LeePHil- Thanks for the chuckle! Vince? I’m sorry that your own marriage is so problematic that you focus on others and not your own. And oldoc? Certainly thought provoking but it doesn’t matter who proves what. The fact remains in this country we have freedom of religion and separation of church and state. Truthbuster? My vote for will discount your vote against.

14. Theefrinker says:

People always forget to mention which god they are talking about before they start making claims about it, or discussing its existence (or lack thereof). Every person of every religion says, “the one, true God”. If you’re talking about the one that allegedly deflowered a lady named Mary (magically) for the purpose of killing the son that she allegedly bore, just say so.
    Also, what’s wrong with liberalism (at its roots)?

15. My pedophile priest believes in the sanctity of marriage.

16. took14theteam says:

WOW!

And you leftists claim the Republicans hate and attack…

Time for ehill to step up and defend everyone…..

17. Monkey Morality – scientific observations of higher primates, such as chimpanzees, suggests that morality in humans is not unique and can be explained by the natural process of evolution without appeal to a divine Lawgiver.

One also needs to address the universal nature of laws where in we find similar laws in widely diverse cultures that had no known contact that would explain similarity in many laws.

From Wagner site:
    “As there “are good people on both sides of the issue you would think that suddenly our public policy decisions can be guided by good, old-fashioned, critical thought,”

To which Wagner replies: “That may be asking too much.

Christians have a problem with critical thinking because it is anathema to their most basic Biblical Belief: That The Bible has to be accepted on Faith, and Faith alone.

So critical thinking, logic, reason, history, and science must be rejected whenever such devil-spawned secular belief system disagree or dispute the TRUE Word of God which he has revealed to us through the Holy Bible.

Blacks where once slaves,
    Christian beliefs and the Bible were used to justify that,
    So freeing the slaves must be another indicator of American’s moral decay.

18. “People always forget to mention which god they are talking about before they start making claims about it, or discussing its existence (or lack thereof).”

It seems obvioius that the author is referring to the god who was born of a virgin on December 25th, and who was “the way, the truth, the light, and the source of all grace”.., The god who was a traveling teacher with 12 companions, and who was the redeemer of dead souls, leading them to eternal life. This would be the same god who was buried in a tomb and rose again after three days. In the catacombs at Rome is a picture of this infant god, seated in the lap of his virgin mother, as Persian Magi adored him and offered gifts.

The god’s name was Mithra. He originated in Persia, and he preceded Jesus by about 600 years.

19. surething says:

Good grief.

20. Fibonacci says:

truthbusterguy
    YOU DI IT!!!!! You actually wrote a post that did not attack unions. I KNEW you could do it–congratulations. Now, explain to me that the Gay LIfestyle is will you? I have gay friends and for the life of me I can’t see any different in their lifestyle than that in my own heterosexual household. Enlighten us will you?

21. writnstuff says:

“At first we pitied the lifestyle choice. Then we began to slowly tolerate it. Then we slowly became comfortable with the behavior. Suddenly we began to justify the lifestyle choice. Then embrace the behavior. Then defend it. Then celebrate it.”

Wow. That was beautiful. What a great description of our emergence from fear and darkness into love and light.

Free to be, you and me. Celebrate the differences. Live with love. Shed the fear.

22. Sagacious says:

There are those who loudly proclaim that they support less government and more personal responsibility. In the next breath they righteously call on the government to meddle in private affairs, banning intimate activities and forcing others to accede to their personal beliefs and definitions of morality.

IMHO, marriage is a religious event, anathema to our secular government. All persons, in any combination of sex and/or number, should be able to establish a legal relationship that defines the rights and privileges of each member and any dependents and offspring; a legal relationship binding and enforceable in a court of law. After that, any religious ceremony and/or involvement with their deity of choice is optional but not required.

It is incumbent upon the government to make such provision available, without prejudice or bias toward any chosen combination. It also behooves the above mentioned self-righteous to butt out of the personal affairs of others.

23. Sick. Thank you progressives for showing why any God fearing human should “R”

24. sandblower says:

25. Sag- great post. I think you just described the libertarian/republican position perfectly.

The definition of civil union needs to be defined to prevent abuse, but I think you have it nailed!!

26. bobcat1a says:

Liberal talking points: Fact based rather than fear based. But then, that’s only if you really believe in science.

27. normajean says:

@truthbusterguy: you said “So when the democrats call me and ask has how I will vote on R-74 I say I plan to vote in support of gay marriage and vote for Inslee when like the majority in this state I will not be voting in support of either. Both are equally bad for WA State.”

Can’t you simply stand up for what you believe & state it clearly to whomever calls? Why would you say 1 thing & mean another? There is enough deception going around so why add to it

28. CT7,
    Or it was shown that no intelligent, rational person could ever accept the fairy tells that Christian call devine.

Sag did, and you missed the part about secular state not impacting the religious observation of marriage as well as the church(s) not interfering with secular marriage.

If you insist on calling same-sex marriages Civil Unions, I insist that ALL Civil Marriages MUST also be officially referred to as Civil Unions.

29. HistoryFan says:

Good article. Thank you.

30. DearTacoma says:

Mendelian inheritance and morality.

Interesting approach.

31. bobbysangelwife says:

I find it interesting that those in favor of gay marriage seem to think that ALL people who don’t believe in gay marriage or that gay relationships are okay….that everyone else is “in fear” or “is a hater”.
    I fear nothing in this life—not any man/woman or God, nor do I “hate” any one person or persons. It’s a simple matter–for me at least–that homosexuality is both physically and morally wrong. Period. Nothing more, nothing less.
    Do I pray that people are struck down for their apparent choices–heck no. I don’t wish ill upon any person for anything.
    Do I sneer or make comments to others that display affection or talk about it around me–heck no. My mama taught me better manners than that.
    Do I have friends that are gay, and they have family members/friends that are gay–yes of course.

My belief is my belief. My standards are what they are. No person or group of persons will convince me otherwise.
    But I have never, nor will I ever be “afraid” of anyone who is gay.
    I have never, nor will I ever be afraid to tell someone should they ask me either how I feel about gay marriage.
    I don’t hate any person for who they are or for what their sexual preferences are, I simply don’t agree with it and won’t allow it to be shoved down my throat or have someone try to “convince” me that it’s okay.

32. rooster_02 says:

My god loves your god……

33. stradivari says:

Morality is derived from the needs of man as a result of experience and not from any mythical deity.

34. truthbusterguy says:

Fibonacci,

OK, you asked so here is some facts,ope this doesn’t get me kicked off because I answered your question. The homosexual lifestyle is an extremely dangerous one. According to numerous studies, many of which have been commissioned by homosexual publications; 20% of homosexuals report of participating in sadomasochism where their partner is hurt, scratched, bruised and/or bloodied. Over 90% of male homosexuals participate in the insertion of the penis into the rectum of their sexual partners.

This practice carries great risk for both participants. The rectum was not created to withstand this abuse. Fecal matter can inter through the urethra, and sperm breaks through the single layer of the columnar epithelium of the rectum, causing massive immunological disruptions in the blood system, making the person at much greater risk for infection. It’s no wonder that homosexuals are 245% more apt to report 2 or more sexually transmitted diseases (STDs) at a time, than heterosexuals.

The gay lifestyle is a petri dish for the spread of disease.

Also, just to make you happy. Why do the unions support such perverse lifestyles? Could it be the money the gays donate to union causes? Are they in bed together? Well, warn the unions they can get a social disease.

35. Sandblower wrote: “Oldoc, you totally missd the point and I do not have the time nor the inclination to educate you which I could do. Your conclusion about my point is also totally incorrect. Please try to read for comprehension.”

Sandy, you seem to have a bit of difficulty expressing yourself clearly. If I missed your point, how on earth could I have an incorrect conclusion about it? Your response to me is just as foolish as your comments regarding Mr. Wagner’s letter. If you ever get the inclination to educate me, I stand ready to learn the basics of circular logic from a master.

36. This is what I don’t understand. Nobody is telling people that they have to marry people of the same gender. You can still have your own beliefs, marriage, community and happiness. You just cannot tell others they must do it the same as you do. Why is this an issue? Good grief…

37. MyBandito says:

Because the whole point in having a religion is telling others they must do it the same as you do.

38. LeePHill says:

“God fearing human should “R”

It’s now a verb?????????

Lucky for me, mythology doesn’t scare me. What does scare me is when I’m talking to what appears to be an adult and they start in with childish scare tactics of mythological characters.

39. Theefrinker says:

haha LeePHill, I experience the similar heartbreak. I’ll be talking to someone who seems very intelligent, then they mention such “beliefs”. It sort of negates every seemingly intelligent thing they said because such beliefs indicate the foundation of standards by which they form or hold a belief. Also, the logic some people use such as, “it’s true because you can’t prove it’s not true” is a lazy argument.

40. LeePHill says:

” “it’s true because you can’t prove it’s not true”

My response to that would be – “thus Uranus is made of green cheese”

41. God told me that man greated God and that man is flawed.

42. charliebucket says:

truthbuster, please reveal your factual sources. also, please, if you have any integrity, please compare your numbers to heterosexuals, as far as how many sex partners, sadomasochism, sodomy, anal sex etc. Otherwise your “report” is just you talking a lot of smack.

43. vingrotto says:

Wow. We get it. You think that the “homosexual lifestyle” is icky. There are plenty of consensual heterosexuals that do some pretty messed up sexual acts behind closed doors. If it doesn’t affect you personally, than it’s none of your business. Stick with the missionary position truthbusterguy. It’s your speed.

Also, Christians do not have the key to moral behavior. What a crock. I have plenty of Atheist friends that run their lives with a higher moral code than most Christians I know. Leave your Bible out of my bedroom Vince.

Also, as a woman, keep your laws off my body.

44. Thankfully most of America is not as twisted and bitter as the cold and wet Pacific NW. You would think the whole world is gay and heterosexual couples were the minority reading these blogs.

Gays make up .3-1% of households. Not zero, but not a statistically significant number. The amount of emotional energy on both sides seems excessive.

45. charliebucket says:

CT7 have you considered moving to a part of the country that is more to your liking? I do not say this flippantly, I am sincere. A very close friend of mine asked me why I didn’t want to live in a ‘less extreme’ state….she thinks gay marriage is ‘extreme’, for example, I don’t. This state is not extreme TO ME (I am an educated, caring, law abiding, self supporting, heterosexual, Christian). Although I admit the weather can be a pain in the butt, however nothing like the extremes elsewhere, IMO. And I know one thing for sure for myself, I would not ever move (back) to certain parts of the country where the people, IMO, seem (politically and religiously) close minded and arcane and cannot seem to live and let live.

46. seenitdunnit says:

Well, truthbusterguy you live up to your name. Yo busted the hell outta truth with your uncited screechery.

“The consequences of this behavior is magnified when one looks at the number of partners the average homosexual has in his/her lifetime. Most homosexual sex is performed with strangers. 70% admitting to having sex only once with over half of their partners. The average Homosexual has had 300 to 500 partners during a lifetime. 28% have performed sodomy on over 1000 partners. Only 2% have had monogamous relationships, and those are defined as lasting anywhere between 9 and 60 months.”

I live in Palm Springs. I volunteer at Desert Aids Project. I talk to hundreds of people (not as part of DAP) weekly. I actually do have “many gay friends” (the constant comment of someone that has NO gay friends).
    Do we have promiscuous people? Yeah. But your uncited percentages are fiction. I have never, not has ANY gay man I’ve spoken to met this 28% with 1000 partners. We would shun these people. A large percentage of my gay friends, in fact the majority, have had, at most, a dozen. And that’s from say, age 18 to age 60 or so.
    What would you call a straight man bragging of 1000 male on female conquests? A stud? Virile? A “REAL MAN?”
    Quit your homophobic diatribes and made up statistics and perhaps do something about your promiscuous hets that are serial baby makers. To my knowledge, there has never been a case of a gay man impregnating another gay man and having an unwanted child.
    By the way, I raised those unwanted children in my years as a foster parent.

47. torinaga says:

TruthBuster, if it IS such a dangerous and disease prone lifestyle why in the world would you be against two people rising above it and getting married. The very notion of marriage promotes monogamy. It would seem to me that this would be far more healthy for our society than the status quo you seem to be advocating.

48. bobbysangelswife, I don’t hate you, and I will not sneer at you. I just disagree with you and think that your beliefs are physically and morally wrong. I will not I will not allow your sexual preference or beliefs to be shoved down my throat.

And, it should be added, that, unlike you, I will stay out of your business and not try to tear your family apart, and I won’t put barriers in the way to your ability to live your life in freedom, equality and dignity. I will defend your right to have equal protection under the law even though people like you fight against others having that right.

49. charliebucket says:

well said tuddo

50. MrCarleone says:

Gosh, Vince, did no one ever tell you that The Book of Myths and Fairy Tales is for children ?

51. Here we go again!! :D ……. and this comment is about all the effort I am going to waste trying to conduct a reasonable debate with the LiberalLoonTacomaTrolls! Haaaa!

52. surething says:

truthbusterguy,

If you think that straight couples do not participate in sadomasochism and anal penetration than you are a bigger idiot than I already assume you are.

Your letter is stomach churning and ridiculous. I think the only thing anal related is the origin of where you got this information.

53. Chippert says:

So, God told someone that homosexual marriage was wrong… The only place I can find that specifically deals with homosexuality is in Leviticus. Surprisingly, it only says MALE homosexuality is wrong so it must be OK for women to marry women, right? But that same set of laws tells me that it is just fine for me to own slaves as long as they are Canadian or Mexican, to sell my daughter and a whole host of laws that any sane person would find absurd in our society. Mr. Wagner and all of you who thinks our society should be run by the Bible – I will bet you find the Muslim countries that enforce their laws from the Koran to be wrong – why would enforcing our laws based to the Bible be different?

Render unto Caesar the things that are Caesar’s and unto God the things that are God’s. If you truly follow the Bible then Jesus and God tells you specifically and unequivocally to leave the secular alone.

54. sandblower says:

oldoc says: “If I missed your point, how on earth could I have an incorrect conclusion about it?”

55. Theefrinker says:

That’s a good point Chippert. People do seem to only focus on two males marrying, regardless on how they actually word it. I’d be willing to bet that that matches with their opinion of homosexuality perfectly. That being (since most vocal anti-equal-marriage folks are men)that they simply find two males being together gross, and would at the very least be less opposed to the idea of two females marrying. For these people, using the most recent version of the Christian bible as proof then supports their prejudice quite well.

56. “Morality has been slowly bred out of many Americans”
    How the hell does one ‘breed morality’? I heard of breeding animals for slaughter….So, in ‘breeding for morality’ do you make sure only proper gay-hating, right-wing voting, unenlightened, blond ‘christian’ folk get married and have a ton of offspring? I think they tried that once before. America had to put a stop to it. That was the last time America had moral superiority in a war they partook.

57. charliebucket says:

My Bible does not mention homosexuality or gay marriage. Not once.

58. HistoryFan,
    A good article only if it was intended to stimulate discussion.

She who has no identity (aka bobbysanlgewife)

They who fear nothing, love nothing,
    so what joy can they have in life.

TBG,
    The poison pill in your argument is you assertion that the gay lifestyle is much more active and diverse than the hetero lifestyle.

Theefinker,
    Marriage in the bilbe was little more than the bride’s father calling in a group of friends and neighabors and introducing the new coulpe as husband and wife, followed by a festive meal.(divorce was more complicated)

The Roman Catholic Church established Marriage as a Religious Sacrament in order to control the secular rulers.

Charlie,
    Let’s start a collection to send CT7 to San Francisco.

XB,
    So don’t. Think of all the fun you could be having on your hog.
    PS; chopper or full dress?

59. “XB, So don’t. Think of all the fun you could be having on your hog.
    PS; chopper or full dress?”

Xring….I wouldnt be caught dead on a sissy “hog” HA!

Oh dont get me going on THAT subject again! I know dang well thats what your baiting for HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

60. Sandblower wrote: “Missing the point and having an incorrect conclusion go hand in hand. The former is the cause of the latter. And after two tries, since this is not baseball, you are out.”

Alright Sandy, I’ll try to slow it down for you. You have no point, just an opinion. Mr. Wagner also has an opinion. You didn’t prove your opinion and neither did he. Like most liberals, you tend to confuse opinion with fact.

61. Every civilization in history has recognized that God’s instruction for marriage is an essential pillar of society.

Evidence?

62. ThePrincipledPatriot says:

charliebucket, Well of course the Bible doesn’t speak of homosexual “marriage.” It speaks only of heterosexual marriage. See Matthew, chapter 19 and Mark, chapter 10.

And, “my Bible does not mention homosexuality.” What Bible are you reading? See Romans, chapter 1, 1 Cor., chapter 6, and 1 Tim., chapter 1.

beerboy, show me the evidence where heterosexual marriage hasn’t? Show me 1 place in history, 1 country where homosexual “marriage” was/is viewed as normal, natural and healthy?

63. TPP – That isn’t the way it works. You make an assertion. You provide evidence to support it. It is not up to me to disprove your assertion if you haven’t provided evidence.

but…google makes it easy
    St. Serge and St. Bacchus, two Roman soldiers who became Christian martyrs.

While the pairing of saints, particularly in the early church, was not unusual, the association of these two men was regarded as particularly close. Severus of Antioch in the sixth century explained that “we should not separate in speech [Serge and Bacchus] who were joined in life.” More bluntly, in the definitive 10th century Greek account of their lives, St. Serge is openly described as the “sweet companion and lover” of St. Bacchus.

[....]
    after a twelve year search of Catholic and Orthodox church archives Yale history professor John Boswell has discovered that a type of Christian gay marriage did exist as late as the 18th century.

Contrary to myth, Christianity’s concept of marriage has not been set in stone since the days of Christ, but has evolved as a concept and as a ritual.

Professor Boswell discovered that in addition to heterosexual marriage ceremonies in ancient church liturgical documents (and clearly separate from other types of non-marital blessings of adopted children or land) were ceremonies called, among other titles, the “Office of Same Sex Union” (10th and 11th century Greek) or the “Order for Uniting Two Men” (11th and 12th century). That certainly sounds like gay marriage.

[....]
    Boswell found records of same sex unions in such diverse archives as those in the Vatican, in St. Petersburg, in Paris, Istanbul, and in Sinai, covering a period from the 8th to 18th centuries. Nor is he the first to make such a discovery. The Dominican Jacques Goar (1601-1653) includes such ceremonies in a printed collection of Greek prayer books.
    [....]
    At St. John Lateran in Rome (traditionally the Pope’s parish church) in 1578, St. John Lateran Church, Rome as many as 13 couples were “married” at Mass with the apparent cooperation of the local clergy, “taking communion together, using the same nuptial Scripture, after which they slept and ate together,” according to a contemporary report.