Letters to the Editor

Your views in 200 words or less

FIREWORKS: Morons disturb the neighborhood

Letter by Robert C Kasprzak, Tacoma on July 2, 2012 at 1:28 pm with 19 Comments »
July 2, 2012 1:28 pm

I would like to tell the morons who are setting off the really loud booming fireworks that every time they do that between 11 p.m. and 8 a.m. they wake up my autistic son. It usually takes an hour to get him back to sleep. Thanks for putting your foolish fun ahead of everyone else in the neighborhood. Morons.

Tags:
, ,
  1. tree_guy says:

It would be nice if the folks in your neighborhood would consult with you before they do things out of respect for your autistic son. I agree.

2. Theefrinker says:

Is this the TNT website or Facebook?

3. surething says:

Ridiculous letter. I wish many of my neighbors would stop a lot of the crap they do, 24 hours a day.

4. Robert, I agree with you. The problem is the fact that they are morons. They only see themselves and their cheap thrills of making noise. You’ll find that the majority of these slack-jawed, knuckle-dragging neanderthals are self-taught heroes who have a set of cammies, a few rifles and shotguns and enjoy goung out into the “wild’ to kill defenseless animals. I call them the “Ted Nugent” style hero. They won’t go anywhere near a military recruiting station where they could have an oportunity to join up and make all the noise they want and where the prey can shoot back, but no, they’d rather stay in their neck of the woods and impress their wives and kids with their bravery.

5. surething says:

Frosty, that was somewhat of an odd response.

I think fireworks are a total waste of money and just make a mess, but where did the rest of that come from?

6. SandHills says:

I guess it’s getting to be where most are thankful that is is only fireworks instead of gunfire…

7. The must be zombie base republicans as we all know that libs and progressives would never celebrate the Fourth with fireworks.

8. LeePHill says:

It’s their patriotic right to make your life miserable

9. lylelaws says:

Robert,

You just don’t understand what freedom means.

It means that the goons among us have the right to keep kids with severe medical problems from getting the quiet rest they need, the right to terrorize neighbors, family pets, birds squirrels and other wildlife, and the right set the woods on fire by shooting off bunker busters so loud that they are used by the military to simulate artillery fire.

Isn’t that is what the Founding Fathers intended?

On the fifth of July I am going to call the South Hill Pierce County Sherrif’s office and ask how many related arrests were made during what used to be my favorite holiday week but what I have now come to dread every year.

10. alindasue says:

Mr. Kasprzak,

As the mother of an autistic son, I say consider yourself fortunate if your son actually sleeps between 11:00pm and 8:00am…

That said, it doesn’t matter what time of year it is. Between 10:00pm and about 6:00am are considered the quiet hours. You may not have the right to expect special consideration from your neighbors autistic son, but you do have a right to expect you neighbors to follow the basic rules of our society. 11:00pm is past time to put the booms and bangs away for the night.

11. alindasue says:

“You may not have the right to expect special consideration from your neighbors autistic son, but you do have a right to expect you neighbors to follow the basic rules of our society.”

Well, that was typed awkward. Let’s try again:

You may not have the right to expect consideration for your autistic son, but you do have the right to expect your neighbors to follow the basic rules of society.

If the constant loud noise around midnight were a neighbors barking dog or loud party, would you people so lightly laugh it off? Why would fireworks at that hour be any more acceptable?

12. sumyungboi says:

I enjoy the Fourth of July, we usually put a couple of lawn chairs out on the front lawn at dusk and watch the show. The block just to the south of us is particularly active with fireworks and what amounts to a block party. After a day of celebration, the biggest party of the year, there’s nothing that says “Happy Birthday, United States!” like a good fireworks show.

Yes, the kids blowing off firecrackers days in advance of the big party can get annoying, but it’s something I’ll gladly put up with as a trade off. Sorry about your kid, but on the other hand, if we didn’t do things because it irks someone else, no one would ever do anything. It’s a few days a year, why not make lemonade?

13. SafewayOrangeSoda says:

Put a fuzzy soundproofing helmet on the kid.

Or move.

I’m sure the “morons” in the neighborhood won’t mind if you leave.

14. What some of you fail to see, is that Mr. Kasprzak lives in the city of Tacoma. Fireworks are illegal in Tacoma. Thanks to some careless people, my neighbor’s garage roof caught on fire. Who pays for that? I lost a tree another year, and its terrifying to pets. One day a year?! Can I have ONE day a year where I can break any given law? If you want to celebrate the 4th, go see a LEGAL fireworks show and visit the waterfront or a park.

15. lylelaws says:

Since confession is supposed to be good for the soul, and I need all of the help I can get in that department, I have to admit that when I was a kid growing up in the Yakima Valley in the 1940s, my friends and I always spent the money we made picking cherries to buy fireworks but M-80s which are about like a quarter of a stick of dynamite were not around then.

Pops and smaller booms are OK but when the K-BOOMS that rock the house go off in the neighborhood it terrorizes cats and dogs so badly that many of them bolt and run and are never seen again by their owners.

I’m sure that I am probably more concerned all of the noise than my dog is, but I hate to see him cringe and run. If wouldn’t be so bad if it only lasted for a day or two, but it goes on for about two weeks

16. surething, I guess I let my loathing and contempt for those who have to make a statement by blasting fireworks for days at a time throughout the night and day with no regard to others. I find these people to be the bottom-feeders in this world.

17. Support your local Indian reservation: Buy fireworks.

The casino’s don’t bring in enough money.

Fireworks freak out my two dogs. I put them in the garage or bring them in the house they lay down and sleep.

Yes, they can be over done and shouldn’t be done during “quiet” hours. But are tolerable for a couple days out of the year, IMO.

18. The local rednecks have every right to set off these illegal fireworks, inside their own homes. And the government has an equal right not to provide fire and medical support to those freedom celebrating libertarians.

Sounds fair to me.

19. Well, I see that one guy lost an eye out here near where I live. Maybe there will be a little less noise next year. Way to go Pierce County Council! This one is on you.