Letters to the Editor

Your views in 200 words or less

MARRIAGE: Follow Scripture, not popularity polls

Letter by Kathleen A. Elfers, Enumclaw on May 21, 2012 at 12:34 pm with 19 Comments »
May 21, 2012 1:08 pm

Re: “Strong, true Christians accept and embrace their gay brethren” (Viewpoint, 5-20).

First of all, I was taken aback at the offensive tone of the headline. Does the Rev. Donald Heinz truly believe that unless I hold the liberal views of the group of retired Lutheran pastors he represents I cannot be a strong, true Christian?

This strikes me as intolerance turned on its head: I must tolerate a view that is different from mine, but others can be intolerant of my viewpoint.

Should demographic studies that show that “anti-gay prejudice” will be obsolete by the next generation be an argument for the validity of same-sex marriage? I would rather use Scripture as the basis for showing God’s intention that marriage should be between a man and a woman.

I grew up in the Lutheran church and belong to the same Evangelical Lutheran Church in America denomination as Heinz. I do not consider myself “prejudiced” nor do I have “arms full of antipathy.” I have no problem with the “inclusiveness” of Christ’s love. I believe, as does Heinz, that the grace of Christ has “set us free to love and serve all our neighbors.”

I certainly hope that, though my views do not have the same liberal bent of Heinz and his group, I am still “included” as a strong, true Christian.

Tags:
  1. Kathleen – This nation is not governed by the church.

As to liberal bents, you might want to study Jesus’ teachings a little more closely.

“I must tolerate a view that is different from mine, but others can be intolerant of my viewpoint.”

On the contrary. Your viewpoint is one that is attempting to restrict others from living their lives in peace and harmony, which will do no damage to you and your life.

2. Theefrinker says:

(yawn)

3. wildcelticrose says:

and you think that those who choose to love someone of the same sex will be judged more harshly that those who choose to hate people they do not know?

If that’s a “strong, true Christian” I am happy to not be included.

4. charliebucket says:

perhaps since the ELCA is an advocate for openly gay clergy and for same sex marriage it is time for you to find a different ‘denomination’ Kathleen. The Missouri Synod and the Wisconsin synod are both much more conservative, maybe you would like it there. I do not say this to be flip, but if you do not agree with your denomination’s stand, why not switch? (I left the Catholic church for similar reasons)

5. Kathleen, you keep to your scriptures, leave the rest of us out it.

6. The most important point you make here is the remarkable hypocrisy of the so-called “tolerance movement.” You are quite correct in your observtion Kathleen.

7. bobcat1a says:

Kathleen, there is a great deal of difference between suggesting what you should do and telling you what you must do. Tolerance is not without criticism but it is without compulsion. It is you and those of your belief who insist that others MUST behave as you believe; the others simply suggest that you leave them alone to behave as they believe.

8. Two things, Jesus was a socialist liberal and not everyone believes scripture.

9. roussir says:

Another religious conservative confusing criticism with intolerance.
    Trying to restrict, and violating civil rights = intolerance.
    Stating that this is appalling = criticism.

The only argument that regressives have is that their rights are affected by equal marriage rights; so far, they have spectacularly failed to substantiate it.

10. “The most important point you make here is the remarkable hypocrisy of the so-called “tolerance movement.””

You soso more than anyone need to look up the meaning of ‘hypocrisy’.

Also, what is this made up ‘tolerance movement’??

11. averageJoseph says:

Kathleen, you know full well that “tolerance” is a oneway street. All tolerence must be toward the left.
    It is the left who insist that others MUST believe as they believe… otherwise, you are a hater, bigot, homophobe, etc., etc.

12. Let me get this straight, Your intolerance is stopping people from getting what you have, a civil union, but our intolerance of your opinion
    is what? Stopping you living your life how you want. NO, its because you are demanding others live buy your churches laws. I believe in God, not a man made Church of good old boys, who hide their own sins.

13. You can be a strong Christian and follow your faith within your church and home. But the law is different. Maybe we should just strike marriage from the law books altogether. That would be another way to solve this issue.

14. SwordofPerseus says:

Time for people of earth to get together and finally stop with the dangerous belief in sky fairies that kill people. Grow up people lets leave the dark ages behind and just love one another, stop with this divisive religious dogma.

15. No one is forced to associate with people who they disagree. They are, however, by law, obligated to allow others to live and let live.

Funny how the conservatives just can’t seem to grasp that concept.

16. vingrotto says:

“No, you can’t deny women their basic rights and pretend it’s about your ‘religious freedom’. If you don’t like birth control, don’t use it. Religious freedom doesn’t mean you can force others to live by your own beliefs”. – Barack Obama

That is the president I WANT. The one that honors ALL people, not just a select few that beat on Bibles.

17. notimetobleed says:

I love how the Evangelicals like to spin the “Popularity Faith” argument. I think Loving thy Neighbor as thy self is pretty popular (at least it was with JC himself). I think I will go along with that one.

18. averageJoseph says:

No Theo, I’m all for civil unions.

19. averageJoseph says:

Except those “bitter clingers”… Huh Vingrotto.