Letters to the Editor

Your views in 200 words or less

GARBAGE: Freeze scraps for trouble-free disposal

Letter by Janice Mileski, Tacoma on May 7, 2012 at 12:59 pm with 12 Comments »
May 7, 2012 2:40 pm

Re: “Twice-monthly trash may start next year” (TNT, 4-30).

I had not realized just how much food waste I generate in a week, let alone two. One way to handle this food waste without odor or pests until pickup date is to freeze it.

Many people with families have large, chest-type freezers in the basement or garage, often not full. Even smaller freezers can be utilized: Make it a priority to scoop out a space. Put the newspaper-wrapped bundle into a plastic grocery bag, then put it in the freezer. On the day before or the day of brown can pickup, take it out of the freezer and put only the newspaper-wrapped bundle or bundles in the brown can.

Most of the year it will be cold enough that it won’t completely thaw before pickup. In the warmer months there will usually be some garden waste in the can to cushion or cover it.

The program is a good thing, and I am sure other Tacomans have some tips on how to do this with ease and cleanliness.

1. slasmith says:

The easiest way is for the city to continue to provide the weekly garbage service I already pay for.

2. Bandito says:

What a simple solution. Thanks for the tip.

3. BigSwingingRichard says:

Great Idea Janice!
    Where do live?
    I’ll be bring my garbage over to you soon.

Thanks.

4. RLangdon says:

Garbage-Pops!

5. taxedenoughintacoma says:

This is about the dumbist idea I have ever heard. Collections should be put out to contract and privatized. Union contract are the reason we can’t afford weekly pick up. I plan to take my garbage to the city hall and the union office if they start this policy. I need my freezer for my families food. I pay taxes to get the garbage picked up and pot holes filled. They fail at both and you still vote for them. Why are Tacoma voters so stupid and liberal.

6. Taxed,
    It is almost as dumb as the rest of your rant.

Here in Puyallup collections are privatized, done by union workers, and on a weekly basis.

7. jamc379 says:

Freeze my garbage? We don’t have room in my families freezer for garbage. Why waste the electricity to freeze garbage? Move out some food to make space for garbage? Should we run our empty soup cans through the dishwasher too? I bet this person is single. I try to save food scraps in the brown bin but I shan’t be freezing it. I give more priority to recycling plastics, cans, and paper.

8. BlaineCGarver says:

LMAO….No, thank you.

9. BlaineCGarver says:

LMAO….No, thank you. Besides, Thor would be mad if I didn’t let him have a few leftovers.

10. amber424 says:

Why would you keep old food waste in your freezer when you could just compost it?

11. surething says:

We should not have to freeze garbage, that is absurd. They need to keep up with weekly service.

12. LovinThe253 says:

Come on, think about it. As people are basically making less trash by reducing, reusing, and recycling more, the trash cans aren’t filling up as much. Why pay gasoline, maintenance on the trash trucks, and guys to drive them around to pick up half empty cans? They could reduce their route times, reduce pollution, etc. by picking up twice a month. Makes sense to me. Maybe the recycle truck should come more often though.