Letters to the Editor

Your views in 200 words or less

TACOMA: No new tax for road repairs

Letter by Carl W. Dalton, Tacoma on May 3, 2012 at 11:34 am with 29 Comments »
May 3, 2012 12:16 pm

Re: “Tacomans support tax for roads, survey shows” (TNT, 5-2).

Are they kidding? They sure didn’t ask me or anyone I’ve talked to.

We have already given the city millions for road repair, and what have we gotten? The roads in many cases are crumbling beyond repair to the point where anything short of complete replacement is farcical.

We’ve seen city workers paint circles around potholes only to see them improperly filled, so that at the end of the day the pothole is back and we are faced with paint that lasts longer than the repair, which is usually completely undone by day’s end.

Our new city manager hit it on the head with his comment about credibility. The city and road crews have none left with this voter.

I will not vote to throw good money after bad.

Tags:
  1. frosty says:

I agree Carl, Tacoma is at least a century behind other cities in their transporation system. If you drive through Tacoma on a weekend or evening there’s no traffic but you still sit there at a traffic light for what seems like 3-4 minutes before it changes. Most of the street signs are illegible or not there. I don’t live in Tacoma but if I did, I sure would not want to give them another penny.

2. cclngthr says:

Yes, the city improperly fills potholes.

East 64th between the county line to Portland Ave is a rut. Bay Street eastbound by the casino in the far right lane is rutted. Numerous other streets are in vey poor condition due to improper maintanance.

What the city should be doing the very first time is squaring off the bad areas, putting a compacted base (about 12 inches) of solid material that drains well (usually sand) then putting about 6 inches of concrete or asphalt on the patch. End of problem.

3. I thought the gas tax covered roads & highways……

4. There’s local gas tax?

5. philichi says:

In California they will be asking voters for a new tax increase. They say that it is for education. Unfortunately the whole increase will go just to make the state pension plan more solvent. That seems to be the new theme of other tax increases around the country. Perhaps that is what will be happening in Tacoma.

6. Oh, I guess the gas tax is for state highways/roads…

7. sandblower says:

Mr. Dalton’s letter is classic myopathy.

8. IQof88 says:

There used to be a common phrase used at Boeing, “they pay me a salary to show up, if they want work, they need to pay me overtime”.

At local City Halls it’s “the dumb public pay property, utility and sales taxes and user fees to pay our salaries, if they want services, cough up for a new levy”.

9. A321196 says:

The last time the city proposed a levy/tax increase to repair roads I believe it required all sorts of compliance issues, such as handicap ramps at four corners, bike lanes, etc. Beware road repairs may not be just road repairs. Maybe, if the city did not continually throw money into downtown over the years, the roads would not be in such disrepair. Frankly, due to the increase in sales taxes and the lousy roads I only have to endure one block to South 96th Street to go shopping in Lakewood or Puyallup.

10. kluwer says:

Do you whiny righties think good roads and a good transportation system comes free?

11. sandblower says:

kluwer, you nailed it. And what good are roads, is another ignorant question they ask. They want the economy to improve. They cannot find the connection between the economy and good roads. That is not ignorance. It is stupidity.

12. concernedtacoma7 says:

And you cannot see the connect between our crappy roads and the waste at all levels of govt. Toss union workers in the negative column for good measure.

The left’s knee jerk reaction to every problem is more taxes, more govt. With our already high gas prices, can’t you see the frustration when additional money comes out of our pockets?

13. CT7’s lip jerk blame the unions sticks again.

14. RLangdon says:

frosty: “Tacoma is at least a century behind other cities in their transporation system.”

SERIOUSLY!

In 1912 (100 years ago) The Ford Model “T” was only 4 years old. You see a lot of Model “Ts” roaming around mud roads in Tacoma do you frosty? I bet they had a Pierce Transit Bus system back in 1912 too right? How about that Light Rail System in Downtown Tacoma? They had that back in Pre-WWI days right?

Come on frosty, let’s get serious here!

15. menopaws says:

ACtually, I am one of those wild-eyed lefties and I agree with this letter. Basic services should be covered already and road maintenance is a BASIC service. The question I want to ask is where the tax $$$$ already paid are going…….Value given for money paid isn’t politics—it’s basic bookkeeping and pure logic……They want more money—show us your books.

16. kluwer says:

Aaah yes the evil unions…..they are sooooo powerful they control the entire universe!

Man if the righties could just get past blaming everyone else…..

17. kluwer says:

Menopaws,
    We can’t keep cutting and cutting taxes without cutting services.
    That is where the $$$ alredy paid in has gone, covering other basic services!
    We have cut not to the bone but INTO the bone!

18. averageJoseph says:

LOL… what local or state taxes have been cut?

19. averageJoseph says:

Carl, you know as well as I do that tapping the general fund to cover the Tacoma Convention Center’s $46,000,000 projected deficit is waaay more important than covering basic services like police, fire, and streets. ====eyeroll====
    Besides, which of the aforementioned are the citizens more likely to vote to increase taxes on themselves???

20. averageJoseph says:

That’s what I thought… no kluw.

21. menopaws says:

The point is that property taxes may have gone down, but, this budget did have money set aside for road maintenance…………Road crews are supposed to maintain roads—so what the hell else are they doing these days??? I understand that times are tough—if we all juggle our budgets around to make things work–why is Tacoma paying road crews to NOT maintain roads??? If you want more money, you must be accountable for where the original dollars went………If you aren’t, then you have no business asking for more…….I believe in paying my fair share–but, I do want to know where they put the money already allocated for this work. That should not be difficult to provide…….

22. sincere says:

When paying their fair share is mentioned,what does that phrase mean?I feel the Taxaholics continue to divest the funds from the taxpayers with threats of dire things happening if the money isn’t forthcoming.I can see why there is so much reluctance by the taxpayer not wanting to continue the fleecing they are being forced to endure.

23. tree_guy says:

We have cut not to the bone but INTO the bone!

Read more here: http://blog.thenewstribune.com/letters/2012/05/03/no-new-road-taxes/#storylink=cpy

We’ve cut our expenses to the bone? Really? How about the millions loaned to Prium Development (bankrupt), millions for Reconciliation Park, hundreds of thousands for decorative stamped concrete crosswalks, millions for unwarranted raises for city employees, expensive new cars, custom office furniture, unsecured and stolen office equipment, and thousands to send a retiring council member to Phoenix for a vacation? Are those the type of expenses that governments fund when they are cutting expenses to the bone?

24. Like I said, the right must blame everyone else, it can’t be their policies that caused any problems…no way.

25. RLangdon, O.K., so I exagerated a little. I said ” a century behind other cities”. A little tongue-in-cheek humor which apparently went over you. More realistically I’ll say Tacoma is at least 50 years behind the rest of the modern world. I’ve been to Korea where their transporation system, traffic lights and roads are light years ahead of most cities in this country. Not to mention their subway system.

26. RLangdon says:

frosty, you’re a good man for admitting you exaggerated! Still, 50 years seems like kind of a stretch, but it is at least marginally believable. Tacoma needs some road work, new lights and street signs for sure, but those are parts of the city that are behind the times. Other parts, like downtown, seem to be okay. Can’t fix everything all at once you know?

27. tree_guy says:

Like I said, the right must blame everyone else, it can’t be their policies that caused any problems…no way.” kluwer

Read more here: http://blog.thenewstribune.com/letters/2012/05/03/no-new-road-taxes/#comments#storylink=cpy

Please name the people on the city council who represent the interests of the “right.” Also tell us about the policies that the right wingers have forced upon the city of Tacoma. I haven’t heard about those.

28. averageJoseph says:

Tree_guy… he’s kluwless. He still hasn’t answered the question about what local or state taxes have been cut?
    Since there are no right wingers on the council he surely won’t venture there either.
    He throws baseless assertions out all day every day.

29. which the right also does.