Letters to the Editor

Your views in 200 words or less

GUNS: Clothing hides more than figure flaws

Letter by Suzi Loya, Gig Harbor on April 30, 2012 at 11:51 am with 7 Comments »
April 30, 2012 2:26 pm

Re: “The $65 pants that promise to hid a concealed weapon” (TNT, 4-29).

I hope I am not the only one appalled by the demand for clothing created specifically to conceal weapons.

I am not comforted by the idea that my “maximum uncertainty” must now include not only the stereotypical dark hoodie and baggie pants, but “a button-down and khakis.”
In addition, I’m pretty sure “fashion-aware gun owner” is an oxymoron.

To misquote the NRA: Guns don’t kill people; people fashionably dressed to conceal weapons, kill people.

1. aislander says:

It is also legal to carry handguns in holsters strapped to the outside of the body. Would the writer prefer that? I kind of like the esthetic, I must say…

2. RLangdon says:

aislander, Honestly, if people are going to start carrying weapons in greater numbers, then I would rather they be carried out in the open as opposed to concealed. Strap on a Wyatt Earp six shooter and show the world what you got. Don’t hide it.

3. sumyungboi says:

Sounds like Suzi’s concerned that her garden variety racism and profiling may not be enough.

4. Jupiter25 says:

It is perfectly legal to carry a handgun with a concealed carry permit. there is nothing wrong with having clothing that makes it easier to do that.

5. sumyungboi says:

Jupiter, I renewed my permit just last week. (and I’m glad that they moved out of the county-city building, much more convenient now) Ahead of me were a couple of people for finger printing, two guys renewing their permits, and four people, two ladies and two men, obtaining first time permits. All were very average looking people that would not have ruffled Suzi’s profiling radar. I often wonder, how many of the Suzi’s in town would be completely shocked at how many people that they rub elbows with every day are carrying, but others don’t know, and that’s the whole point.

6. Sumy – one needs to remember criminals don’t get permits.

One should also remember certain lines from Deliverance and from Star Wars about being good against paper targets versus being good against live targets.

7. sumyungboi says:

xring: “Sumy – one needs to remember criminals don’t get permits.”

Good point, one the gun grabbers might take to heart.

Also, I don’t live in the fantasy world of movies. Fortunately, no one practices their self-defense skills on live targets, and this applies to police as well, of which a _very_ small percent will actually ever exchange gunfire, and so we have to fall back on our training. Basically, there’s no point to the second half of your comment.