Letters to the Editor

Your views in 200 words or less

TAM: Museum leaders show poor judgment

Letter by Thomas P. Hoyle, University Place on March 20, 2012 at 11:47 am with 22 Comments »
March 20, 2012 12:47 pm

I am appalled at the poor taste and poor judgment on display by the leadership of the Tacoma Art Museum. TAM director Stephanie Stebich (TNT, 3-18) claims that the “Hide/Seek” feature exhibit “talks about the best of what we can do in our museum and our community.” She also boasted, “We’re extremely proud to bring this to our community.”

Please tell me she is kidding. Judging from the reviews and reports, “Hide/Seek” is crude, obscene, perverse and downright tacky. It certainly will not appeal to the majority of Tacomans. Furthermore, the highly controversial “Fire in My Belly” is needlessly sacrilegious and qualifies as hate art. (Perhaps it would do better in San Francisco.)

I am embarrassed for Tacoma, that it would be associated with such an offensive disgrace such as “Hide/Seek” in its museum. TAM can and should do much better.

1. sandblower says:

Flattery will get you nowhere Mr. Hoyle.
    Why don’t you tell us how you feel about global warming, the affordable healthcare act, evolution, gay marriage and the electability of Mitt Romney while you are at it.
    Then define art for us. Inquiring minds want to know.

2. concernedtacoma7 says:

Why not show art that appeals to everyone? No doubt TAM knew a good percentage of the population would find certain aspects of this exhibit offensive.

Shame on them. And trying to make T-town some far left mess like SF will not work.

3. LornaDoone says:

So you haven’t see it, Mr. Hoyle?

4. “Why not show art that appeals to everyone?”

LOL!
    Now thats funny!
    Clearly c7 has no clue what ‘art’ is!

5. LornaDoone says:

kluwer, doesn’t art come from a magazine starting with a “P”?

6. David1964 says:

If you don’t like it, no one is forcing you to view it.

7. Frankenchrist says:

I love when the Republican Taliban weighs in on art.

8. itwasntmethistime says:

9. rooster_02 says:

Exactly. Save your money. We don’t need to have any exasperated patrons swoon at the sight of a piece of art that doesn’t conform to their narrow view of what art is. If the art work makes you uncomfortable then stay home. Others find it compelling and thought provoking. Good job TAM!

10. Judging from the reviews and reports

Why is it so many anti-art crusaders haven’t actually ever seen the work they are criticizing?

Way back when, I went to Monty Python’s “Life of Brian” and was met by picketers from the local fundie church who claimed that the movie was the worst sort of heresy and should be banned. I asked one of them how he knew this and he replied that he hadn’t seen the movie but his minister told him and that was good enough for him.

The Degenerate Art exhibit opened by the National Socialists on July 19, 1937 (Entartete Kunst). It was a collection of over 650 paintings, sculptures, prints and books from 32 public museums. According to Stephanie Barron “The works were assembled for the purpose of clarifying for the German public by defamation and derision exactly what type of modern art was unacceptable to the Reich, and thus ‘un-German’”.
    [...]
    At the opening of the Haus der Kunst Hitler announced “From now on we are going to wage a merciless war of destruction against the last remaining elements of cultural disintegration….Should there be someone among [the artists] who still believes in his higher destiny- well now, he has had four years’ time to prove himself. The four years are sufficient for us, too, to reach a definite judgment. From now on – of that you can be certain- all those mutually supporting and thereby sustaining cliques of chatterers, dilettantes, and art forgers will be picked up and liquidated. For all we care, those prehistoric Stone-Age culture-barbarians and art-stutterers can return tot he caves of their ancestors and there can apply their primitive international scratchings.”

11. “If a lot of people find it obscene I probably will too. No point wasting my time and money.”

Atta boy! No sense in thinking for yourself, making your own decisions or anything like that, just be a sheep and follow the herd.
    It’s easy that way.

12. flamotte says:

Judging from the reviews and reports”: this gives you away. You love to pass judgment on people and things of which you have no actual experience.

13. vingrotto says:

Numbers don’t lie. More people want to see this exhibition than don’t. I look forward to seeing it. If you don’t like it, don’t go.

14. I’m going to guess we can all agree that story you share here is frightening, and when our government begins to decide for us which “art” is acceptable and which is not, you will find me protesting loudly.

bBoy, you mentioned a misguided bishop in another thread. Perhaps it would be more meaningful to depict HIM as corrupt rather than the entire church. Just a thought.

I believe the comments here are in response to the article written about the exhibit, an article that detailed what to expect at the exhibit. In other words, one can get a very good idea of what’s in the show without actually going. That said, I am inclined to see it for myself at this point and will happily withdraw any of my commentary that is negated by having done so.

Meanwhile, I will pose the same question here that I did on the other thread: At what point do we collectively decide that something should NOT be tolerated? I’m thinking of the LRA, butchering children in the name of Christ. Sudan? Syria? Forced female circumcision of little girls? Sexual slavery? Forced inscription of pre-pubescent boys into an army that commands the troops to rape and murder?

And who gets to decide? In California, “the people” spoke only to have the government eradicate their vote. Now there’s a government we should be concerned about. IMO

15. LornaDoone says:

I’m amazed at the thought that those of religion might find certain art offensive and yet glorify the crucifixion of someone in art.

16. wildcelticrose says:

I wonder if the letter writer would find it quite as obscene if it involved a religion other than his own and/or didn’t challenge his own world view?

Of course, Mr Howe doesn’t want to see anything that challengeshim, nor makes him think.

Perhaps a showing of Thomas Kindade paintings of light in church and cottage windows would be more to your liking.

More room for the rest of us.

17. “Meanwhile, individual citizens are free to object to individual exhibits in this wonderfully free country of ours.”

Of course they are, right after they have seen the exhibit. If they haven’t seen it and want o whine and cry about, they have no integrity what so ever.

18. I’m thinking of the LRA, butchering children in the name of Christ. Sudan? Syria? Forced female circumcision of little girls? Sexual slavery? Forced inscription of pre-pubescent boys into an army that commands the troops to rape and murder?

sozo – you have answered your own question by your use of the word “forced”.

Relationships between consenting adults, while you may find them personally repugnant or even sinful, are consensual in nature and thus should be tolerated.

19. Actually, many young girls in those cultures are quite agreeable to being circumcised. As I pointed out on another thread, it’s not hard to indoctrinate the young. So, I return to the question. Do we give our blessing to female circumcision as it is prescribed for girls in those cultures?

Here’s another question while we are at it. Do any of you suppose that TAM would exhibit “artwork” that defiled Muslim icons and artifacts?

20. LornaDoone says:

“Do any of you suppose that TAM would exhibit “artwork” that defiled Muslim icons and artifacts?”

NO!!! Along with Barack Obama, TAM is Muslim behind closed doors and is waiting to take over the United States. It’s a plot that Obama thought up while palling around with Saul Alinsky when he was 8 years old. TAM, trolling for huge federal grants has decided to become a part of Obama’s plot. I know this is true because I read it in Whirled Net Daily.

21. many young girls in those cultures are quite agreeable to being circumcised.

My response to you was about consenting adult

Actually though….since, as a society, we circumcise male infants…..your question does bring up an interesting point to consider about ourselves.

22. Gotta wonder if the letter writer has ever attended a TAM exhibit…..