Letters to the Editor

Your views in 200 words or less

DOONESBURY: A little controversy can be a good thing

Letter by Mark A. Lee, Kent on March 13, 2012 at 9:35 am with 8 Comments »
March 13, 2012 10:02 am

If you are opt out of publishing a Doonesbury segment or story line, at least respect your readers enough to note that you are substituting a meaningless panel that was published in the past. Admit to your act of censorship or give your readers the option of acting like adults. Do not hide the controversial panels and hope the brouhaha will disappear. The world is not a simple black-and-white place and a little controversy on the comics page can sometimes be a good thing.

One of my reasons for a News Tribune subscription is to get Doonesbury – all of it and uncensored.

Tags:
  1. BlaineCGarver says:

What issue? I’d like to Google it.

2. We don’t need a filter. It is never okay for any newspaper to decide that we, their customers, cannot handle some controversy. My guess is they don’t want to deal with it—but that isn’t a valid reason. Being offended is also okay–it opens up important discussions. I don’t like censorship in the print world–we get enough news filtering on cable television. We are all grown-ups and I personally believe this paper had an obligation to publish the cartoon. As Harry Truman said,” If you can’t take the heat–get out of the kitchen!!!!” I don’t want the Cowardly Lion editing what I can view…………..

3. pantomancer says:

Stop with the hypocrisy.

4. menopaws says:

I don’t think Fox News or Limbaugh should be banned……..I just think people need to recognize the difference between hard news and opinion. And, that no one uses a bully pulpit to intimidate anyone—on either side of the political spectrum………..An editorial cartoon is somewhat different and we all know that…..It is NOT journalism—it is pure opinion with some art talent thrown in……..It doesn’t attempt to mask itself as anything else. So, if you aren’t going to censor Limbaugh’s mouth, why is Doonesbury getting the ax??? This newspaper is making the easy call—and that makes me ask how many other times that happens on real news stories……… Real ignorance is not worrying about what we hear and who we hear it from, without asking the tough questions, and assuming it is always the truth. From the TNT, Limbaugh, MSNBC and Fox News………Maybe if we expect higher standards we’ll get them………I’m not willing to settle for the easy…….

5. bobcat1a says:

Why would anyone want to ban Fox or Rush? They are among the most useful tools imaginable for recruiting democrats or at least democrat-leaning independents.

6. Frankenchrist says:

Obama will wipe the floor in Romney come November.

7. dlockner says:

I am in complete agreement with all of these comments…

8. LornaDoone says:

“Funny, the people complaining about Doonsbury being removed from the funnies section are the same ones that believe Fox news or Rush Limbaugh should be banned.”

Baseless assertion. Couldn’t be farther from the truth.

I’ve not seen anyone ask for FOX or Limbaugh to be banned. What I have seen is the marketplace reacting and that is usually the standard line for any conservative – “let the market settle it”.

People are not stupid, much to the chagrin of Limbaugh and Ailes. They have their head nodder minority, but the rest of the public discerns the manure and reacts accordingly.

Limbaugh’s own arrogance was his biggest enemy. He didn’t know when to say “I’m sorry, I’m wrong”.

Meanwhile, Trudeau does nothing other than cast an opinion, nothing different that the media (TNT) does on a daily basis. Maybe the place for this comic is the editorial page, if they would run in black and white or not be so cheap to avoid color on that page (more press units).