Letters to the Editor

Your views in 200 words or less

911: David Lovrak is one of LESA’s heroes

Letter by Marcie B. Neuman, Buckley on Feb. 13, 2012 at 1:34 pm with 7 Comments »
February 13, 2012 2:05 pm

Re: “Call-takers criticized for 911 calls in Powell tragedy” (TNT, 2-9).

In 2008, I worked briefly for the Law Enforcement Support Agency (LESA), the command center that receives the Pierce County 911 emergency calls. The 911 operators were the most professional group of people I had ever met.

One operator stood out not only for his professionalism, but also his kindness and compassion with every caller, regardless if the caller was drunk, confused, elderly or being threatened by violence. When I saw that David Lovrak was the 911 operator who received the Powell call, I broke down in tears because I knew he is conscientious enough to be tormented by this call even though nothing he could have done would have made a difference.

It is so easy to Monday morning quarterback this call. This is one occupation where people need to know that if you haven’t walked in their shoes, you have no idea what you are talking about.

If I am ever in a dire emergency and call 911, I would feel so blessed to have Lovrak’s calming voice on the other end of the line.

1. ReadNLearn says:

I hope that nothing bad happens and I have to call 911 again and now I pray to God that I don’t contact this David Lovrak! Until this incident and my reading of the transcript I had full faith and certainty with Pierce County’s 911. Now I feel that we’re on our own and the whole system is unreliable until this individual is pulled.

Read that transcript carefully. There’s glaring examples of incompetence and him not listenting. She mentions the smell of gas being a concern…he’s removed from the scene and should be thinking clearly. Does he ask clarifying questions? No! One could go on and on…read the comments regarding the transcripts where other 911 operators suggest the transcript isn’t real. They can’t believe the incompetence and poor communications of this operator.

2. itwasntmethistime says:

You broke down in tears over this? Thank heavens you’re not handling calls for us. Next.

3. mollykathleenhoward says:

I have written a letter about this and contributed to blog conversation about another that was written. The most important thing, aside from healing, that must happen after this horrific event, is that whatever might be helpful to take away and learn from in making change on a personal or systems level should happen and we also really need to not blame anyone but josh for what happened. Any criticism should not be blame in this case. The boys were attacked immediately and, realistically, anyone showing up to help any sooner would probably have been killed too.

4. ReadNLearn says:

“…anyone showing up to help any sooner would probably have been killed too”

By what magical means, the frantic visit supervisor was right there and she wasn’t killed.

We need to criticize and correct. When something as glaring as this man’s incompetence is revealed, it must be corrected. So, they might not have been able to save the children when he wasted 8 minutes, in this case? In how many other situations would eight minutes matter greatly? It took this individual three minutes to figure out what a supervised visit was, if I’m being generous. The reality is either he’s too dense to understand what a supervised visit is, or he played games with that frantic woman.

We’re a joke nation wide because of this individual’s transcript. Did you see him on Dateline? Pathetic!

Until he’s gone, we’re on our own. You get this individual, even if you get to 911, it’s going to take eight minutes before he might call for a response. The cops are great, they’re ready, but you gotta get through the clown filter…and by then you might be dead.

5. igotdabombfool says:

2 problems ReadNLearn –

One, he’s a call taker not a dispatcher. He only passes the information on the dispatcher and then it is dispatched on according to it’s priority status.

Two, what about the time before the call, where the case worker calls her supervisor for 10 minutes. Could something have been done in that situation? Why aren’t you calling for the head of the case worker? Heck, she didn’t even know where she was.

Simply stating that you are afraid for you life, does not an emergency make. Proving why you are afraid for your life would warrant a faster response. But saying that you smell gas and your next to your car, doesn’t help you cause any.

I pray that you never make a mistake in life, otherwise by your own logic, nothing would be right with the world until you were put down.

6. ReadNLearn says:

You’re making excuses for this individual and it’s amusing that your communication skills are as poor as those shown by the 911 Operator during that incident. Are you related? Only a relative would back that clown.

7. Grantster says:

People who don’t work in emergency services can comment all they want, but it’s like any field, there are protocols and rules that every field understands. I have had the pleasure to listen to the LESA public presentation 6 times, and after hearing about WHY they ask questions, and how calls are handled I understand why they take the time to ask a lot of questions that callers might not understand. I also understand that it’s VERY easy to look at facts AFTER something happened and comment with the knowledge that those in the moment didn’t have. It would be like criticizing the people on the first two planes on 9-11, Flight 93 took on the hijackers because they knew what might have happened if they didn’t. But I remember people saying, Well, why didn’t those passengers stop the terrorists? It’s easy, because they didn’t have enough information to understand what was going on. So, I guess it goes back to the old saying about walking a mile in another man’s shoes. And obviously, since those who don’t do this job haven’t, they should reserve or temper their comments.