Letters to the Editor

Your views in 200 words or less

SCHOOLS: Vote no on Peninsula levy

Letter by Dylan Craig, Gig Harbor on Feb. 10, 2012 at 12:00 pm with 25 Comments »
February 10, 2012 12:18 pm

Signs urging voters to vote no on the Peninsula School District tax levy were removed in Gig Harbor.  The “Vote Yes” signs are still in place. Do the tax proponents not believe in freedom of speech?

This tax imposes more than $700 yearly on the owner of a $300,000 house. Most of us don’t have the extra money sitting around to pay for this. Please vote no.

1. If the taxpayers continue to vote for more School taxes,they deserve what they get.Unfortunately there are those on a fixed income that will have to select what they will be forced to choose between,food, medicine or heat for their home.The Taxman will always get his share!

2. Fibonacci says:

I am not sure about Peninsula, but most levies are not for NEW money, but just a continuation of what is already paid. It is a shame that schools have to keep coming back to ask for what has already being voted on, because it makes them look like it it new money. Again, I don’t know about this one, but that is what normally happens.

3. Fibonacci says:

I feel for those on fixed incomes. Hey here is an idea, why doesn’t our state intiative “god” Timmy Eye-man start an initiative freezing property taxes for those seniors on fixed income? Now THAT one I could vote for.

4. BigSwingingRichard says:

The State Supreme court has ruled the State of Washington has not fully funded basic education and ine reason they do not is because local levies have taken over this role. The court also ruled that local districts are illegally funding basic education with local levies and the local levies legally can only provide funding for those expenditures in excess of basic education.

Voting Yes adds to the problem of screwed up school funding. Vote No and force the State to deal with school funding. Local property taxes are too high.

Who needs your money more: you or a teacher who works 9 months a year for a full years salary?

5. alindasue says:

sincere said, “If the taxpayers continue to vote for more School taxes,they deserve what they get.”

What many of you fail to realize is that we are all paying less property taxes thanks to the recession. Housing prices have dropped significantly (in some cases in half) since 2009, and assessed values for taxes have dropped proportionately. For instance, my house was assessed at $168,000 in 2009. This year it is assessed at $109,000.

What that means is that even though the tax rate here in Tacoma has gone up by $2.63 per $1,000 value between 2010 and 2011, I am paying over $400 less for property taxes now. Check your own figures. I bet the same thing has happened with yours. I’d be surprised if any of you own property that hasn’t dropped in assessed value. As you saw in my own figures, even an increase in the tax rate did not raise the tax dollars to the level they had been prior.

BigSwingingRichard said, “Voting Yes adds to the problem of screwed up school funding. Vote No and force the State to deal with school funding.”

The state isn’t going to suddenly have more money because the judge said so. It doesn’t work that way. When the economy improves, we can look at finding more money in the general fund to pay for the schools properly. In the mean time, the schools still need to be funded…

6. Fibonacci says:

BigSwingingRichard
    “Who needs your money more:you or a teacher that works 9 months fora full year salary?” The levy money does not go to the teacher, nice redherring there. The money goes to programs for KIDS. Teachers get paid for each day they work, not each month. Schools get out the end of June and start the end of July–that is not 3 months.

7. menopaws says:

This levy is NOT as advertised……..They are claiming it is merely a renewal of an existing levy—but they jacked up the rate for each of the 4 years…………I expect honesty from the school district—this was played like “political spin” and insults the voter………..Everyone supports kids and education—I REFUSE to support a SCAM job—-they should be ashamed!!!! VOTE NO!

8. taxedenoughintacoma says:

FACTS: The Peninsula School levy is a huge tax increase during a recession. Vote NO

The supports are spreading lies about the levy because they think voters are dumb. They spin facts on budget cuts, teacher salary cuts, the cost to run the levy and they won’t tell voters that most of the money will go to people. Which means it goes to their retirement and healthcare cost. The teachers refuse to pay their fair share like the rest of us.

Schools have lost all their creditably with the public and this levy is doomed because the public won’t buy their used car.

The letter writer is correct. They write letters band mouthing the signs and now they pulled them all. They set a very bad example for our kids by not honoring the 1st Amendment. Why are they so afraid of “FREE SPEECH” and the public that doesn’t want their taxes increased? The status quo is over. We can’t afford to continue to fund a system that is BROKEN. Lets fix it and it won’t happen if we enable the district with more money. Why should they change anything if voters continue to fund their inefficiency

I will be a NO vote and have kids in the district.

9. truthbusterguy says:

Fibonacci: Some of the levies being run in Pierce County are just more of the tax at the same level. But Peninsula School District is acting like pigs and increasing taxes by over 20%. Just look at the levy amounts that increase by millions every year. They refuse to tighten their belts like the rest of us.

Alindasue: the assesed value of your home has zero affect on what you pay for school levies. Your house could drop to zero and the school will still get the same money from you. The levy amout never changes and your levy rate increases as your home drops in value. School levies work different than other property taxes. A lot of people don’t know that. It’s another slimy way the game is rigged to benefit teacher unions.

I hope now that you are better informed you will join the thousands that will be voting no.

10. truthbusterguy says:

WOW, did I just see a NO sign on this website???? How did those folks do that??

11. Fibonacci says:

Taxed enough
    I have an idea—HOME SCHOOL your kids.. I am sure the Peninsula District would rather not have YOUR kids in class anyway.

12. truthbusterguy says:

Fibonacci

My kids are both honor students there because I spend the time to HOMESCHOOL their homework every night. If I take away honor students the district will lose the kids they like to wave the flag over as their wonder accomplishments.

Believe me if I don’t have to work two jobs to pay bill and MY HIGH TAXES. I would home school. But seeing that I pay the district so much I might as well let them babysit duting the day and I will deprogram them in the evening.

Thanks for your support my frind. Fib, you must be on the government dole in some way to blindly support a broken system.

13. Vote YES. These kids are the leaders of the future and they need all the help we can give them. Simple as that.

14. truthbusterguy says:

Publico

what is so wrong with school budget reforms? Defined benefits retirements must be reined in. Most of the lecy money 80% goes to pay teacher retirement fund contributions. How does this help the kids?

I agree with the signs around Gig Harbor that call for reforms first. That made scence to me so I cancelled your vote with my NO vote and the 15 people I also talked into voting NO for the first time ever.

Schools will be forced to reform because the public is no longer giving them a blank check.

15. NWflyfisher says:

Vote NO on the levy.
    The District has a responsibility to the taxpayers as well as to the students. Focus on core academics and cut out the activities. Schools exist to educate, not entertain.

16. menopaws says:

Part of kids being part of the future is teaching them the reality of budgets……….This SCAM is just shameful and I feel so bad for those students out there waving their signs……..It will probably pass and more people who can’t afford to pay higher tolls and taxes will leave………This school district is not facing any hardships and I would have voted to renew if they had NOT been so greedy and needy. It is truly just an issue of integrity for me—and, as a parent I am concerned about the propaganda being dished out to our students. VOTE NO!!!!!!!!

17. truthbusterguy says:

I surly agree with NWflyfisher, if my kids got as much instruction as they got with diversionary activities they would be educated enough to go to college without remedial classes.

My first kid had to take $2500 in math and science classes before attending TCC. The school district should have paid this bill. They passed him and certified he was ready for college. Well he was far from it and he had a 3.58 GPA.

I am convinced the teachers unions pass these kids with higher grades to make parents feel good. Well parents get a wake up call if their kid want to go to a 4 year university and they find out their “smart” kids can’t manage simple algebra, chemistry, and writing.

Wake up parents, the schools here are deceiving you about the levy and the quality of education your kid is getting for what you pay. Yes, he can bounce or hit the ball but can’t understand the math or physics that make it so.

18. Voting no on the levy will not make any difference among the adult issues some complain about here. It WILL make a difference in what the district can afford relating to teaching.
    People who want teachers to have reduced retirement need to make their changes through their local school board.
    Voting no on the levy kills opportunity for the children.
    Vote YES and preserve your child’s education and opportunity to excell.

19. truthbusterguy says:

Pubilco,

Reducing the district’s source of lifeblood, “some call it tax dollars” is the only way to enact the changes needed to rein in the out of control spending for schools.

Their budgets are not sustainable into the future. They must change and they will never do so unless their money is reduced.

Why don’t you criticize the district for their greed in raising taxes so much in a recession. Obama even said to not raise taxes in the depression.

20. Fibonacci says:

truthbusterguy
    The point Publico was TRYING to make is that voting against the levy will hurt the students but make no difference in those teachers you hate so much. Their salary and benefits do NOT come from levy money, that is not legal.

As far as grades being inflated, well, the sad part is that they are inflated everywhere, and the biggest reason is that the parents pressure teachers for good grades for their kids so they can get into the college of their choice. Parents and students (OK not all) really don’t care what they learn, just what grade they are given. Voting no on the stupid levy has nothing to do with this.

Again, how about you just home school your kids?

21. Fibonacci says:

truthbuster
    My job has nothing to do with any government entity whatsoever, not local, not county, not state, and not federal, sorry. Also,I have no kids in school, have NEVER had kids in the Peninsula district, and in fact don’t even KNOW anyone with kids there. So, no, I have no personal interest in whether this levy passes or not, I really don’t care. What does bother me is people that think they know all about schools when they know nothing. Ho many days have YOU spent in a school observing? If you think your kids need to be “deprogrammed” after a day in school then you are doing them a disservice by letting them attend the school. My kids all went to both public and private schools, public for graduation, and they got an excellent education from both.

22. truthbusterguy says:

Fibon
    If you don’t have kids in this district you don’t have a say. levies are a local issue so just go away. This is a swing district not the city of Olympia dominated by liberals.

Please go and comment on issues that afftect your pocketbook. Don’t comment on mine.

23. ManuelMartini says:

truthbuster – I’m amused that Fibonacci took you to school. An education long overdue.

24. Sorry, but truthy has no clue.

25. Its a sad day when those who stand in favor of the levy feel the need to remove all of the against signs in the community. It is clear that they have lost in the arena of ideas and are resorting to attacking the messager. If thise who stand against resorted to the same tactics they would be excoriated by the PSD, the press, and all those who feel a need to vote themselves a raise.